05-05-19, 05:35 AM   #1
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
RP Project Clean Interface

Hey everybody !

I'm a big noob in addons, never really touched it.
I need your help, because despite my research, I can't find what I'm looking for.

To resume my project, it's a vocal RP one, who will be filmed and shared.

What I search is a completely clean interface, meaning :
I would only want to see my action bar, but if possible, keeping the original WoW design that I love and (optional but highly appreciated), while not in combat, being transparent or invisible.

I don't want anything else on the screen. Like when you macro to hide ALL the interface.
It's much more immersive and pleasing to the eyes for what I want to do, but for more liberty in combat I want to see all the actions I can do. (shame on me, but I never played with my keyboard, always had shitty ones...)

Also, I'm struggling to death to make the NAME above the target you click on to disappear. I'm not talking about hiding all the NPC names and yours and the other players. I already managed to did that. But in combat for example, I would like to not see the name of the ennemy mob in red above his ugly head, or even the green NPC name when you click on it. Nothing seems to make it go away. Is there an addon for that, maybe ?

Many many thanks to those who will help me to achieve my project !
05-05-19, 11:17 AM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As an integral part of the game giving feedback on what you're targeting, there isn't a way to turn it off unfortunately.
05-05-19, 02:02 PM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Are you talking about the nameplates above people's heads? I can't remember the exact key combination, but it is some variant of v, ctrl-v, or shift-v to hide enemy plates. I think it is the first one, v.
05-05-19, 02:11 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

He's talking about the actual names, not the plates.
05-05-19, 03:19 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you want "default like" action bars that fade away, or just plain disappear, when out of combat, you might want to check Bartender4. Maybe even Dominos. They both have Masque support, and Bartender4 has an option for Blizzard-like artwork built-in.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
05-06-19, 06:55 AM   #6
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
Yes, I'm indeed talking about the names. (green for NPC, and orange/red flickering for ennemies)
I managed to remove the circles of color to the feet of the characters you click on, but no the names.
It's driving me crazy for months. How come Blizzard put an option to turn off all the names that appears onscreen but not this one...
So, you're telling me there is absolutely no way to remove that ?

I will check Bartender4 today, thank you jeffy162, will tell if it works.

Another thing that I can't get rid off, the purple xp text that pops up on the middle of the screen whenever you gain experience. (from killing mobs or questing)
05-06-19, 09:21 AM   #7
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Think it falls under floating combat text. You can find the setting under Combat in the Interface settings.
05-06-19, 10:16 AM   #8
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jeruku View Post
Think it falls under floating combat text. You can find the setting under Combat in the Interface settings.
All is unchecked already.
05-06-19, 05:48 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
If you want "default like" action bars that fade away, or just plain disappear, when out of combat, you might want to check Bartender4. Maybe even Dominos. They both have Masque support, and Bartender4 has an option for Blizzard-like artwork built-in.
ADDENDUM: Bartender4 and Dominos both do, more or less, the same thing. The difference between the two of them is the way that they set up. Bartender4 has a rather large options set, while Dominos works more like, well .... , a Windows operating system. Not totally, but quite a bit. Once you have your general options set (a small set of options in the usual place) you right-click on the bars to do everything else. And it has a Wiki available if you get into some problems that you can't figure out.

I haven't been able to play WoW for almost three years now, but Dominos was a big part of my UI up until I took my son's suggestion and tried ElvUI. I got stuck on that until my computer fried, and I haven't been able to replace it. Been using an Android tablet ever since, and as far as I know Blizzard doesn't make a WoW that is compatible with with Android devices.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 05-07-19 at 05:07 AM. Reason: more blah blah blah.
05-07-19, 07:02 AM   #10
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The XP text is actually an object in the game world. If you move around while it's up, it moves with your perspective of the same spot on the ground.

While nameplates do something similar, they don't respond to depth. They use a position translated to 2D screen coordinates.

PS: Thinking about nameplates, here's an idea. Turn them on and use addon code to hide them. The idea is nameplates replace the name text above units. If the game thinks you're using them, then hide them manually, it should work with some limitations still.

Update: This idea seems to work so far using the following code. (I have nameplates manually turned on)
Lua Code:
  1. NamePlateDriverFrame:UnregisterAllEvents();--   Unregister all nameplate events
  2. NamePlateDriverFrame:SetScript("OnEvent",nil);--    Nuke OnEvent script
  4. for _,frame in ipairs(C_NamePlate.GetNamePlates()) do-- Scan for existing nameplates
  5.     if frame.UnitFrame then frame.UnitFrame:Hide(); end--   Hide any attached unitframes
  6. end

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-07-19 at 07:35 AM.
05-07-19, 04:33 PM   #11
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

After some research I found hideXP. It will however disable artifact and other related gains that pop up. It is old and still works so you should be able to simply enable out-of-date addons.

SDPhantom, is setting the OnEvent script to nil necessary?
05-08-19, 04:10 AM   #12
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
PS: Thinking about nameplates, here's an idea. Turn them on and use addon code to hide them. The idea is nameplates replace the name text above units. If the game thinks you're using them, then hide them manually, it should work with some limitations still.

Update: This idea seems to work so far using the following code. (I have nameplates manually turned on)
Lua Code:
  1. NamePlateDriverFrame:UnregisterAllEvents();--   Unregister all nameplate events
  2. NamePlateDriverFrame:SetScript("OnEvent",nil);--    Nuke OnEvent script
  4. for _,frame in ipairs(C_NamePlate.GetNamePlates()) do-- Scan for existing nameplates
  5.     if frame.UnitFrame then frame.UnitFrame:Hide(); end--   Hide any attached unitframes
  6. end
Sorry, I'm trying to catch up and my native langage isn't english so I kind of struggle to understand the process you describe.

I need first to manually turn on nameplates. (I think I managed to do that with ctrl+v)
Then, what is addon code to hide them ?
I tried to create a macro and copy paste the code you gave, but my character just speaks the code.

Screenshot : https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...sans-titre.png

After some research I found hideXP. It will however disable artifact and other related gains that pop up. It is old and still works so you should be able to simply enable out-of-date addons.
So, hidexp seems to work for me ! At least on vanilla private server, since I want to begin the story on WoW Classic when it comes out, this serves me as crash test.
One problem solved, thank you !

If by any chance, you know how to disable the yellow text that appears when questing in the middle top of the screen when you fulfill one objective or gather supplies.
And the name of the zone your enter who appears in the middle of the screen too.
05-08-19, 07:55 AM   #13
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Discussing private servers is against the TOS.
05-09-19, 04:05 AM   #14
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

SDPhantom, is setting the OnEvent script to nil necessary?
Not really, you can either unregister the events or clear the script. Doing both is just leaving the driver in a clean state where it isn't firing events and it's not holding on to a script that isn't ever run. Doing both essentially frees up both CPU and memory in their respective manners.

Originally Posted by TREUFY View Post
I need first to manually turn on nameplates. (I think I managed to do that with ctrl+v)
Then, what is addon code to hide them ?
Yes. This is actual addon code. You can copy/paste the code into the following site and it'll create the addon for you. https://addon.bool.no/

So, hidexp seems to work for me ! At least on vanilla private server
As Jeruku said. Private servers are against ToS. As an official community site, we have rules against discussing them non-hypothetically. It comes with the territory of being sanctioned by Blizzard.

I want to begin the story on WoW Classic when it comes out, this serves me as crash test.
From what I've seen, the Classic client is a backported BfA client with several features stripped out to simulate the Vanilla client. As such, addons written for Vanilla will likely not work in Classic.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-09-19 at 04:40 AM.
05-09-19, 05:54 AM   #15
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
Damn, I wanted to prepare for Classic on those Vanilla servers... but it will be useless if I understand correctly. Sorry, didn't mean to break the rules.
I will try my experiments on retail only, then.

So I did that for the addon and got this : https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...2342-error.png

As for hideXP, it works on retail perfectly. So I guess it will for Classic too !
How to hide the yellow quest update and the names of the zone you enter, now ?
(I want the adventure to be as hard and real as possible, meaning I can only know where we are by looking at the map and the landscapes)
05-09-19, 06:39 AM   #16
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That looks like an older version error box. The code I supplied only runs on official retail servers as per site rules. Blizzard hasn't given us access to classic yet, so it's all speculation. However, if they have any sense, there won't be many core differences between the BfA and Classic clients.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-09-19 at 06:44 AM.
05-09-19, 07:33 AM   #17
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

That looks like an older version error box. The code I supplied only runs on official retail servers as per site rules. Blizzard hasn't given us access to classic yet, so it's all speculation. However, if they have any sense, there won't be many core differences between the BfA and Classic clients.
Let's hope you are right and the developers do not lose the sense.
05-09-19, 11:33 AM   #18
TREUFY
A Murloc Raider
Oh. My. God.

It actually works. You are my savior !
I HOPE SO MUCH it will works for Classic too !
Thank you thank you thank you so much SDPhantom, you just made my project so much easier right now !

But, just out of curiosity, why does it works on retail but not on Vanilla since it's the same Lua code ?

Only big counterpart
Anyway, I have to check the Bartender thingy majiggy now... It should fix my problem if the others are right.
And how to make the name of the zone disappear, with yellow questing text too.
05-09-19, 11:57 AM   #19
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

From what I've seen, the Classic client is a backported BfA client with several features stripped out to simulate the Vanilla client. As such, addons written for Vanilla will likely not work in Classic.
Definitely all speculative, but the going theory is that Classic is an emulated version 1.12 of the game, while the Lua code will be 8.x with several components stripped out.

We don't know for sure yet, but that's the theory. Blizzard doesn't want us writing the original Decursive or Augmented Virtual Reality (AVR) again, nor will we be popping open the Collections tab because it won't exist. However we might be using 8.x code to summon a random mount or pet.

One major complete rewrite was the combat log with patch 2.4. Any addons written to use the combat log prior to that patch broke, and while Classic is 1.12, I'll bet it is using the 2.4+ version of the log.

Given that Classic is coming in a short handful of months, I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't dumped the UI code or given us access to test things.
05-09-19, 12:55 PM   #20
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Theoretically speaking of course, you can guarantee testing code against a private server for use in Classic will be a complete waste of life.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » RP Project Clean Interface