08-06-10, 03:56 AM   #1
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
StarTip

I updated this addon and fixed a few bugs a few months back when I started playing Wow again, but recently decided to give it some love.

You can now configure the Text module's lines through lua texts. The defaults resemble CowTip's defaults.

I added a few features and fixed some of the more subtle bugs.

I slapped a beta status on it, and this is what I came up with:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ltipaddon.html

Report any bugs here.
08-07-10, 03:16 PM   #2
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I plugged some memory leaks, and sandboxed all lua scripts pertaining to Text module. Check the updated scripts for guidance.

Also I added an experimental module named DeadlyAnnounce. It keeps a history of the DBM and BigWig announcements and displays that information on your unit tooltip. It's likely broken right now, so it's disabled by default.
08-09-10, 06:44 AM   #3
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just a heads up on some future features.

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I'm putting the entire lcd4linux design into a Wow unit tooltip. This is going to rock. People will be able to configure their LCD displays via the same configuration design, through a simple Lua table entered in game.

Here's an example configuration.

Code:

Code:
	[14] = {
		name = "Marquee",
		left = 'return "StarTip " .. StarTip.version',
		updating = true,
		enabled = false,
		marquee = true,
		width = 20,
		prefix = 'return "---"',
		postfix = 'return "---"',
		bold = true,
		align = 'M',
		update = 1000,
		scroll = 1,
		speed = 500,
		direction = DIRECTION_LEFT		
	}
That's the equivalent of a Text widget. There are other widgets as well, such as an icon widget, which LibQtip's cell features are going to come in handy. They're 7x8 cell icons, except that they're not drawn per LCD character. You'll just use an allocated portion of the tooltip. The icons can be animated. Here's an example config.

Code:
    "widget_icon_heart": {
        "bitmap": {
            "row1": ".....|.....|.....|.....|.....|.....", 
            "row2": ".*.*.|.....|.*.*.|.....|.....|.....", 
            "row3": "*****|.*.*.|*****|.*.*.|.*.*.|.*.*.", 
            "row4": "*****|.***.|*****|.***.|.***.|.***.", 
            "row5": ".***.|.***.|.***.|.***.|.***.|.***.", 
            "row6": ".***.|..*..|.***.|..*..|..*..|..*..", 
            "row7": "..*..|.....|..*..|.....|.....|.....", 
            "row8": ".....|.....|.....|.....|.....|....."
        }, 
        "speed": "foo", 
        "type": "icon"
    },
08-10-10, 01:26 PM   #4
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
If you're not sure what I'm talking about when I say LCD displays, here's an example.

Of course ours can't be as rich. All we can do is text and larger bars/histograms/icons than this. And of course the information shown is going to be different. I'm working on the marquees at the moment. Not shown are big numbers.
08-19-10, 02:58 PM   #5
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I just uploaded a package that plugs numerous memory leaks.

Also, someone said he/she wasn't seeing the tooltip on world units, but did see them on unit frames. Does anyone else have this issue?
08-21-10, 04:43 PM   #6
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Fixed a bug causing the tooltip to hide when mousing over unit frames, and another bug where the tooltip would sometimes move to default position when mousing over unit frames. At least I think they're fixed. Let me know if they persist.
08-26-10, 12:10 AM   #7
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
There's a great demonstration available in the LCD module now. Featured are layout transitions, bars, and a histogram of memory usage with a cool pingpong scroller layered on top. It's starting to actually look like something now.

Don't mind the unfinished Ace3 options. They may give you an idea of how this will be configured, but they're likely useless for configuring a display right now. For instance, the layout options have no clue about layers, so layout_histogram looks blank.
08-29-10, 05:19 PM   #8
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
You can now configure the refresh design. You can set refresh rate to 0 and the timer won't even be created. Everything will update in real time with your mouseovers. Note that this disables things like marquees and updating texts, like health and mana.

You can control the refresh rate, but remember that it's going to look ugly if your refresh rate is slower than your marquee rate. The fastest you can go is 50ms. Default is 100 times that.

Try playing with the marquee line to get a feel. Note that you may need to reload your UI with some settings.

Btw, here's another image of what I'm talking about. I want to make it so multiple LCD tooltips can come up on a keystroke or some other event. I just wish we could do the visualizations. I know it's possible theoretically, but I don't think WoW can handle it. Note even close. You could do small things, maybe. Small meaning 32x32.

I like to call this LCD4Linux4WoW.

Last edited by starlon : 08-29-10 at 06:00 PM.
08-29-10, 10:28 PM   #9
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I think I'm going to make the LCD module an addon of its own. It would be a StarTip module, but downloadable as a separate addon. I can name it LCD4Linux4WoW or just LCD4WoW? Honestly I think it all escapes the scope of a tooltip addon. Yes, the surface is a tooltip, so it fits as an external module, but making everyone who downloads StarTip a download this development board along with it is asking too much I think. Anyhow, just wanted to let people know that I'm not going to be creating a massive addon called StarTip.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
08-31-10, 03:22 PM   #10
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I just updated it with an important bugfix.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
09-01-10, 03:31 AM   #11
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just uploaded 1.7.18b, which fixes a bug that broke StarTip's Text module when turning into a ghost. Nobody had that break on them? Anyone even using this? I promise to make a release soon. Removing the LCD Display module and replacing it with LCD4WoW fast forwarded StarTip's beta status.

LCD4WoW
09-01-10, 12:54 PM   #12
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Where's this all headed? No place good.

You can define icons that are 7x8 sized. A font will be created from that icon. They can be animated.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-01-10 at 12:58 PM.
09-03-10, 09:27 AM   #13
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Remember, all code execution is sandboxed unless told otherwise, so some things may not be available. I've provided _G for instances when something's not available. This may be going away, however. So please make suggestions when you have to use _G.

Check out StarLibs plugins for a rundown of what's available in the execution environment.

LCD4WoW
09-03-10, 02:09 PM   #14
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I more less linked that Artardery image because it shows off the fonts that DriverCharacter's drawing. They're 7x8 sized fonts. There's a normal and bold face. The characters are super simple to describe. Each row is an 8 bit numeral, where the numbers are in the range between 0 and 31. You have this many (| | | | | | | |) bits. The right most bit is the right side of the font. You just turn your 8 bits on and off for that row.

The idea is you can describe your own fonts, called icons. You can use multiple icons to draw larger images than 7x8. And they can be animated. You just describe the icon like so:

Code:

["widget_icon_karo"] = {
		["bitmap"] = {
    		["row1"] = ".....|.....|.....|.....|..*..|.....|.....|.....", 
    		["row2"] = ".....|.....|.....|..*..|.*.*.|..*..|.....|.....", 
    		["row3"] = ".....|.....|..*..|.*.*.|*...*|.*.*.|..*..|.....", 
    		["row4"] = ".....|..*..|.*.*.|*...*|.....|*...*|.*.*.|..*..", 
    		["row5"] = ".....|.....|..*..|.*.*.|*...*|.*.*.|..*..|.....", 
    		["row6"] = ".....|.....|.....|..*..|.*.*.|..*..|.....|.....", 
    		["row7"] = ".....|.....|.....|.....|..*..|.....|.....|.....", 
    		["row8"] = ".....|.....|.....|.....|.....|.....|.....|....."
        }, 
		["speed"] = "return foo", 
		["type"] = "icon"
    },
Of course the GUI will have a simple interface for this, perhaps "What you See is What you Get." Yep, this is entirely eye-candy. This is Wim on steroids. I don't know if people are going to use it, but I'm making every effort to ensure at least someone makes the game beyond scriptable. The cool thing is you don't have to know squat about Lua. You simply let others create them and when they show them to you, you have the choice to save the display with its layouts and widgets. You can go through and modify it, with the option to restore it to its original state. Ascii art. Icon art. Or you can go crazy and script your own chat rooms, games, whatever. Whatever you can do with a fully scriptable, interactive LCD display. And you can share whatever display you want. See what I mean by "make socializing scriptable."

Honestly, though, some of this falls out of the scope of a tooltip addon. It's just that I'm also writing LCD4WoW, which will extend StarTip in the way I'm describing.

LCD4WoW
09-05-10, 08:30 PM   #15
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just uploaded 1.8.5b. Numerous bug fixes have been worked in over the past few releases. You should be able to edit, delete, and create lines now with little trouble. I also fixed how StarTip was hiding other addons' appended lines, such as GearScore's.

Also, I added timer widgets, so you can execute code at every interval of your choosing.

LCD4WoW
09-10-10, 08:48 AM   #16
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
New upload- 1.9.6b.

Apparently I knew you could use color codes (|cffffff00Text|r) in tooltips because the Targeting module used them, but I didn't even think about it when writing the new Text module. The function to set color confused me. At any rate, I changed the way colors are dealt with. Check the name script to see what I mean.

Also, in this beta release, you can define your own bar widgets. Default has health on top of the tooltip, and mana on the bottom, just like it was before. You can define exactly where to place the bar by defining the actual arguments sent to bar:SetPoint(). Each bar is actually two bars, one stacked on top of another. The second bar is optional. You can provide it with 4 scripts: expression1, expression2, color expression1, and color expression2.

Edit: Actually, you can't define your own bars yet and have it save between reloads. >.>

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-10-10 at 09:17 AM.
09-10-10, 09:56 AM   #17
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
1.9.8b fixes a bug that made it impossible to save bars between sessions.

LCD4WoW
09-10-10, 06:31 PM   #18
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
1.9.13 introduces histogram widgets. Here's a screen capture.

LCD4WoW
09-10-10, 09:37 PM   #19
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Fixed a few bugs since last posting.

Here's the CPU and Mem demo. Mem's on left side of the tooltip, CPU's on right.

You can move them where ever you want. Just provide all the parameters to SetPoint and be done with it. They default to topleft of GameTooltip.

I'm turning my addon RotLatency into a StarLibs plugin, so you'll have access to that information from within a script. My first order of business will be to write a histogram over the history of your rotation history. I'm still thinking about a way to watch other people's rotation latencies. That sort of information would be useful. Maybe in comms? You require a recruit to load a simple plugin that activates PluginRotLatency, and you can see the information in whatever addon is plugged into a RotLatency plugin.

Honestly though, I'm not even sure RotLatency works. I've received no feedback on it. I know it works for fury warrior.

LCD4WoW
09-10-10, 09:52 PM   #20
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
It seems there's some excess memory being used in regards to the histograms. I'll look into that soon.

LCD4WoW

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » StarTip