12-14-09, 05:04 PM   #1
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Orb Unit Frames

I have always been very dissatisfied with the rectangular madness that is the predominant Unit Frame addon. Rectangles are practical, I agree, but aesthetically I have always had a fondness of circles in my UI.

I then came across Zork's oUF_D3Orbs. Which are very cool and much of my own addon is based on it as far as concept goes. However, I wanted more orbs! I wanted every unitframe to be an orb.

So I embarked on my own experimentation and found a very efficient way to use standard textures to animate the orbs while also creating all unit frames in orb-form.

This addon is not intended to become a release-level unit frame addon, but to introduce what I have done. Much of it's current code is redundant and not refined. I would love nothing more than for someone else to take off on what I am doing here, like I did with Zork's concept, to make a full-blown orb unit frame addon.

There are some options in the Orbs main menu. More are to come. Also there is a slash command /orbs to enter/leave config mode. To move a unit frame enter config mode and alt-drag the frame.

My plans are to eventually release a solid beta version that can be configured beyond the initial install but not offer a gazillion configuration options.

Anyhow, find the addon here. All comments are welcomed as long as the abide by the site's posting rules

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

Last edited by Maul : 12-14-09 at 05:06 PM.
12-02-10, 10:17 AM   #2
anseloth
Coding Archmage

i've always liked the circle design better than the block design, but i never could find a way to implement them that didn't screw my game up worse than, uh, um, something that screws you up REEEEEALLLY bad? (lol, i just can't seem to think of a good analogy for how bad it always seems to get)

but yeah, this orbs option looks like it has BIG potential! i WAS thinking though, (being a big .hack fan and all,) is there any chance we could try for a grid of hexagons? or does the blizzard interface for mods only allow for rows and columns in actionbars?

12-07-10, 04:12 PM   #3
Maxfunkey
A Defias Bandit

A grid of hexagons is feasible, we'd need to put the starting points (x-wise) in an alternating pattern so hexagonal frameshapes fit in nicely and then have that x-addition to every second row be scaling alongside the individual frames.

Holds Petential to mess up at some point but within reasonable scales it should work just fine as long as there are no craploads of variables ...but that's true for any code afte all :O)
12-07-10, 11:31 PM   #4
anseloth
Coding Archmage

ok, i THINK i understood most of that, you were basically saying that the grid of hexagons IS feasible, if we are willing to put in a lot of work, right?

...or did i completely miss your meaning, there?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Ion Engines, Engage! » Orb Unit Frames