12-25-21, 03:36 PM   #1
abel8909
A Murloc Raider
Reverse string

hi everyone and happy christmas eve, i'm new to this lua, could someone help me how to reverse string example
FACTION_STANDING_INCREASED = "%s %d"
for
FACTION_STANDING_INCREASED = "%d %s"

I found this code but it doesn't work

ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_COMBAT_FACTION_CHANGE", function(frame, event, message, ...)
local which, faction, amount = strmatch(message, "^[%+%-] (%+) (%d+) rep$")
if which and faction and amount then
return false, (format("%s%d %s rep", which, amount, faction)), ...
end
end)
12-25-21, 03:44 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Specific to the WoW API, string.format() lets you specify which args go where by modifying the format specifier. By default, they are left-to-right in order. This would flip the order by specifying the second argument goes in the first slot and vice versa. Blizzard did this specifically to support localization.
Code:
FACTION_STANDING_INCREASED = "%2$d %1$s"
Note: The letters define the data type, changing these to be different than what the arguments are can cause type mismatch errors.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 12-25-21 at 03:48 PM.
12-25-21, 07:50 PM   #3
abel8909
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Specific to the WoW API, string.format() lets you specify which args go where by modifying the format specifier. By default, they are left-to-right in order. This would flip the order by specifying the second argument goes in the first slot and vice versa. Blizzard did this specifically to support localization.
Code:
FACTION_STANDING_INCREASED = "%2$d %1$s"
Note: The letters define the data type, changing these to be different than what the arguments are can cause type mismatch errors.
if it works, thank you very much, and another question if it does not bother you :P
how can I filter chat texts (from battleground) to replace them example

Babe claims the stables! If left unchallenged, the Alliance will control it in 1 minute!

for

Babe claims the stables!

this is the event
12-25-21, 09:12 PM   #4
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Lua Code:
  1. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_ALLIANCE",function(_,_,msg,...)
  2.     msg=msg:gsub(" If left unchallenged, the Alliance will control it in 1 minute!","")
  3.     return nil,msg,...
  4. end)
12-26-21, 05:25 PM   #5
abel8909
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
Lua Code:
  1. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_ALLIANCE",function(_,_,msg,...)
  2.     msg=msg:gsub(" If left unchallenged, the Alliance will control it in 1 minute!","")
  3.     return nil,msg,...
  4. end)
Thank you very much for answering, if it works and excuse my ignorance, how can I make a list to filter several messages? I did something like that but it doesn't work

Lua Code:
  2.     msg=msg:gsub(" If left unchallenged, the Alliance will control it in 1 minute!"," control it in 1 minute!")
  3.     msg=msg:gsub("The Horde Flag was picked up by ","The Horde Flag was captured by ")
  4.     return nil,msg,...
  5. end)
12-26-21, 07:30 PM   #6
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

The gsub function accepts three arguments: the string, what to look for, and what to substitute.

msg=gsub(msg,find,replace)

or

msg=msg:gsub(find,replace)

This means that replace being an empty string, "", you are deleting what the function finds.

Lua Code:
  3.     msg=msg:gsub(" control it in 1 minute!","")
  5. end)

The above code only filters the blue text. To alter the red text, you need to filter the Horde event.

Lua Code:
  1. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_HORDE",function(_,_,msg,...)
  2.     msg=msg:gsub("The Horde Flag was picked up by ","")
  3.     msg=msg:gsub("The Horde Flag was captured by ","")
  5. end)

If I got the colors wrong, I apologize. The messages above may all be blue, it's been a long time since I played battlegrounds.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, you don't have to worry about the different events if you just filter all of them at once.

Lua Code:
  1. local filterfunc=function(_,_,msg,...)
  3.     msg=msg:gsub(" control it in 1 minute!","")
  4.     msg=msg:gsub("The Horde Flag was picked up by ","")
  5.     msg=msg:gsub("The Horde Flag was captured by ","")
  6.     return nil,msg,...
  7. end
  9. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_ALLIANCE",filterfunc)
  10. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_HORDE",filterfunc)
  11. ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter("CHAT_MSG_BG_SYSTEM_NEUTRAL",filterfunc)

This takes one filter function and applies it to all three BG announcement events.

Last edited by Kanegasi : 12-26-21 at 10:15 PM.
12-26-21, 08:25 PM   #7
abel8909
A Murloc Raider
oh i see, thank you very much

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Reverse string