A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Long and hard

*laughs*

*gasps*

*chokes*

*dies*
-- Don't report anything, I might get in trouble!
08-02-08, 09:58 AM   #162
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
I do not expect it to come so soon, I guess major mod authors like ckk tekk etc have already their keys but minor like we are a lot should not expect to see it at least before the event's end on 8th August. Does lots of cases to review for Blizzard.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
08-02-08, 01:21 PM   #163
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
It'll come when & if it comes, at Blizz's discretion of course. Author's that get keys should be very grateful when and if they do. I know I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy once I get in, and no matter when it is, I'll be glad to have a head start on the release...even if it's simply a day. It'll be a good excuse to take a day off of work!
08-02-08, 01:27 PM   #164
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Actually, if you read the thread, people are very grateful. The whining is all about how sucky waiting is, not the fact that Blizzard is taking their time getting the keys sent. I think everyone here knows that it's not a simple "press this button and Blizzard will generate a key and send it immediately" process.
08-02-08, 02:05 PM   #165
Equitoen
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Actually, if you read the thread, people are very grateful. The whining is all about how sucky waiting is, not the fact that Blizzard is taking their time getting the keys sent. I think everyone here knows that it's not a simple "press this button and Blizzard will generate a key and send it immediately" process.
Sounds like an AddOn that Blizzard could use I assume that the lists that Cairenn is sending are formatted

But seriously, I am sure we are all grateful. It's just awesome that such an opportunity exists. I have found myself working on a brand new AddOn to pass the time, too
08-02-08, 02:19 PM   #166
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Equitoen View Post
Sounds like an AddOn that Blizzard could use I assume that the lists that Cairenn is sending are formatted

But seriously, I am sure we are all grateful. It's just awesome that such an opportunity exists. I have found myself working on a brand new AddOn to pass the time, too
Code:
local addonAuthors = {}

for i = 1,425 do
   addonAuthors[i].Nickname = GetAddonAuthorName(i);
   addonAuthors[i].Email = GetAddonAuthorEmail(i);
end

SendAddonAuthors(addonAuthors)
No, but seriously... we're all grateful, our Email providers... not so much, they prolly all hate us now for hitting refresh so often.

It's also not really whining, more just sharing in the same evil anticipation.

Actually, im curious what the page-load statistics on

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=97384

are... with everyone refreshing this page too waiting for someone to post "THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE HERE!"

08-02-08, 02:30 PM   #167
Liqudator
A Defias Bandit
Well I know I am VERY thankful for the chance to jump into the beta, and I am also one of the many suffering the anticipation of waiting for a key, I knwo I have refreshed this page about 50 times so far and god only knows hoa many times I have refreshed my inbox.. and whats worse is I am doing all this from work so even if the key shows up Ill be stuck here knowing its waiting for me when i get home...
08-02-08, 02:34 PM   #168
Gello
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Mera_LaCroisadeEcarlate View Post
I do not expect it to come so soon, I guess major mod authors like ckk tekk etc have already their keys but minor like we are a lot should not expect to see it at least before the event's end on 8th August. Does lots of cases to review for Blizzard.
It sounds like Tekkub is among those waiting too? There's likely many major addon authors waiting.

Of course beta is a testing tool and it shouldn't be treated as a reward or priveledge. Everyone is grateful to be in a process that really doesn't need us.

But what happens on August 8th? (*latches onto another date like a nostrodomus believer as the calendar goes by*)
08-02-08, 02:42 PM   #169
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Gello View Post
But what happens on August 8th? (*latches onto another date like a nostrodomus believer as the calendar goes by*)
It's 1 week from now, or 2 since the first batch was mailed to Blizz HQ
08-02-08, 03:12 PM   #170
EWOlson
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Voorije View Post
Actually, im curious what the page-load statistics on

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=97384

are... with everyone refreshing this page too waiting for someone to post "THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE HERE!"

lol I was thinking the same thing.
08-02-08, 03:21 PM   #171
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Voorije View Post
Curious, anyone know if they still have the limitation of 4 characters copied to beta? (like the last one)
I believe that you can only copy 3 characters, and then for your 4th slot you can create a deathknight.
08-02-08, 03:34 PM   #172
Stormfury
Banned

yeah i'm in the list : 000474
i can't wait lol

Last edited by Stormfury : 08-02-08 at 04:35 PM.
08-02-08, 03:51 PM   #173
svartalve
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

New AddOn Tinkerer Asks Gurus

Hello everyone, I was just wondering how long after a new author's first AddOn gets approved for submission does it take for an account to be flagged as eligible to apply for the beta key giveaway.

If I may go off-topic for a bit, I'm glad Wiley published "World of Warcraft Programming". I've been hoping for a LUA programming primer that specifically caters to WoW for years now. It's a bit of rough sailing for a non-programmer like me but I have high hopes that I'd soon be able to craft AddOns that are heavier on the function versus form.
08-02-08, 03:56 PM   #174
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
svartalve, see PMs.

And, yeah, that book completely rocks.
08-02-08, 03:58 PM   #175
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
svartalve, see PMs.

And, yeah, that book completely rocks.
Is it written completely in size 1 font? If so then I agree with you.
08-02-08, 04:02 PM   #176
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
/me chuckles at Icecolddrake
08-02-08, 04:17 PM   #177
svartalve
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
Is it written completely in size 1 font? If so then I agree with you.
Lol even if it was I'd gladly suffer through it. The first part of the book especially is content I'd rather study on dead trees. On the other hand, the reference sections really lend themselves well to random access. I wonder if it'd be possible for the next edition to have a companion disc with the APIs, Events references etc in searchable form.
08-02-08, 04:25 PM   #178
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Have you gone to the companion website?
08-02-08, 04:36 PM   #179
svartalve
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Have you gone to the companion website?
Ooh searchable reference! I missed that lol. I was going through the book by chapter and likewise with the site, being especially mindful of errata. My estimation of the book+auxilliary materials just went up a notch. Thanks Cairenn.

(I would still love to have the reference on a CD packaged with the second edition though. You never know when one might lose internet access for a spell )
08-02-08, 04:42 PM   #180
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by svartalve View Post
(I would still love to have the reference on a CD packaged with the second edition though. You never know when one might lose internet access for a spell )
The real problem with this idea is that the API can change (quite frequently, in fact). So the CD would eventually become outdated over time. That's actually part of the reason the companion website exists in the first place.

There is, of course, nothing stopping you from trying out your new found Lua skills to write a script to pull the website into a single offline package and then put it on CD This may prove doubly good as an exercise as you can then re-use the script in a month to generate a new, updated CD
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Mod Author WotLK Beta Key Give-Away discussion thread