07-27-07, 05:12 PM   #1
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thumbs up Greatest UI ever but ...

Hopefully I will not get flamed for this but rather people will see this post for what it is a polite plea as well as trying to be informative.

This post is yet another about the resolution 1920x1080 and the not so common aspect ratio of 1.77. First off let me say that I personally think this complete set UI is the single best one out there and the level of attention to detail and the sheer amount work this must have in entailed is rather daunting, however I kinda feel like me and some of the other people running this strange aspect ratio have been trivialized a bit.

Let me explain something you may or may not know. Most of the people running at this aspect ratio have NO OTHER CHOICE. Let me tell you a bit of information about my monitor. I use a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 monitor this is not really a tv or a traditional comp monitor it is a bit of an oddity, as it is both actually. The native resolution of the monitor is 1920x1080 so this is the only resolution that will look right as it is the physical number of pixels in the monitor, all other resolutions will get scaled to that number making smaller resolutions look blurry and not very good. Whereas you can run three different resolutions thru the DVI input only one will result in a good image. Now you may ask why would a person buy a monitor that is soo limited? Let me address that.

1. I bought it for less than 1000 dollars brand new.
2. The image is so crystal clear you can quite literally put your nose on the screen and see no pixelization.
3. It has five levels of lcd backlighting making it the brightest LCD on the market, to have good color saturation in the most extreme situations including full daylight on the screen.
4. It is 37" OMG
5. It has about every type of input connections you can think of DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, Composite, and Svideo
6. It has a response time of 4ms making it one of the fastest High resolution LCD's on the market.

I personally upgraded to this monitor from a HP professional grade 24" Widescreen CRT (that cost almost 5000.00 when it was new) because it was comparable in some area's and excelled in many others. Just for background I am a professional Photographer hence why my graphical display is so important. This is not an uncommon monitor if you were to go avsforums.com you would see a thread of people using this for their computer monitors numbering in the hundreds of pages it is a very very popular monitor.

Now back to MazzleUI, I truly believe this to be the single best UI out there. The author has shown an exteme amount skill in the creation of this UI. I personally believe the strongest point of this UI is its ability to automatically set its self up and place everything in its proper place, this is simply an amazing feature and a godsend for the people who feel overwhelmed by the complexity of the WOW UI and placement of such. Currently you have covered EVERY aspect ratio used on monitors except one, and it has been insinuated that the reason the 1.77 is not in there is because it is less common. What I am trying to point out here is that actually even though you are correct in saying it is less common it is however more important for it to be there actually. Simply for the reason that while users of other aspect ratios have a choice and can always change resolution to a different ratio the users of this resolution do not have that option. Also I would think that having covered all the other ratios and given your amazing attention to detail you would want to add the last ratio simply from a standpoint of completeness, to be able to say irrevocably it will work on anything.

In closing I would like to say that no matter what you do, I think you have achieved a level of excellence very few other mod authors have attained and I applaud your work. I was not trying to trivialize your work in the slightest. I am simply hoping you will realize the need here and address it. I know what its like to have many people depending on you work and have a huge workload in front of you. I do weddings that number in the hundreds of guests . After all, all of your fans are important not just the majority I would think.

Thank you for all your hard work and I hope many good things come your way in the future.

Sincerely,
Morpheusdead
07-27-07, 07:55 PM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, outside of all the work it would take to make a fourth set of lots of positional information, I also simply cannot test that aspect ratio. Neither of my machines have any 1.77 resolutions as options.

If that weren't the case, I'd consider it if enough users requested it on the new site.
07-27-07, 11:44 PM   #3
Arkantoes
A Murloc Raider
Well..

guess you get to join us back in 17" CRT land!
07-28-07, 04:14 AM   #4
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Arkantoes
guess you get to join us back in 17" CRT land!
Wow no wonder you lash out so only 17" I thought everyone playing mmo's surely had at least 20" to 21"s.

Don't worry arkantoes if you are lucky it'll grow :P
07-28-07, 08:49 AM   #5
Aygen
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Lol, 15" LCD for me. I iz not aford bigger ;_:
07-28-07, 09:18 AM   #6
Ringleron
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Aygen
Lol, 15" LCD for me. I iz not aford bigger ;_:
I can only imagine how small "normal" setting is.

Do you run Mr. Magoo?
07-28-07, 10:33 AM   #7
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
As many others said the other day. Blizzard does not even support that right now. Instead of blaming Mazzle and other addon developers because the aspect ratio is not compliant with your monitor / HDTV. Why not post something on Blizzard's forums, instead of here. Its your fault for buying something that large without researching if your favorite game or software even works with it. I have a 24" monitor that I've had for over four years, it has worked perfectly fine for movies, and games. If I want to play on my 50" HDTV I'll just hook up my 360.
07-28-07, 02:27 PM   #8
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Stormlor
As many others said the other day. Blizzard does not even support that right now. Instead of blaming Mazzle and other addon developers because the aspect ratio is not compliant with your monitor / HDTV. Why not post something on Blizzard's forums, instead of here. Its your fault for buying something that large without researching if your favorite game or software even works with it. I have a 24" monitor that I've had for over four years, it has worked perfectly fine for movies, and games. If I want to play on my 50" HDTV I'll just hook up my 360.
/boggle

Huh ummm the game runs at 1920x1080 just fine its one of the resolutions you can choose in bliz's default options. So wth you are talking about not supporting it IDK. As far as blaming Mazzle for anything I didnt and I dont think he thinks that either. And onto research before I buy something you have not a clue what you are talking about, the amount of data I read before buying that monitor is equal to a medium sized novel. (White papers, Forums, User manuals, Technical standards, Industry standards, etc etc)
07-28-07, 03:33 PM   #9
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
/boggle

Huh ummm the game runs at 1920x1080 just fine its one of the resolutions you can choose in bliz's default options. So wth you are talking about not supporting it IDK. As far as blaming Mazzle for anything I didnt and I dont think he thinks that either. And onto research before I buy something you have not a clue what you are talking about, the amount of data I read before buying that monitor is equal to a medium sized novel. (White papers, Forums, User manuals, Technical standards, Industry standards, etc etc)
Please ignore Stormlor. It was a perfectly valid question.
07-28-07, 03:34 PM   #10
Ringleron
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
/boggle

Relax, Morpheusdead. Maybe subconsciously he is jealous of your monitor.

Consciously, I know I am.
07-28-07, 04:21 PM   #11
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
No, I just don't see a point of running a game like WoW at that resolution. Consoles, HD DVD, Blu-Ray is made for that kind of monitor. WoW is not. What I meant about Blizzard not supporting is yes you can do the resolution as high as your video card can go. Has nothing to do with WoW. All WoW does is read you max and implements into the game. UI scale on the other hand is not ready to run at 1.7 and if you don't believe me do a search on Blizzard's tech support forum for WoW and you will see a Blizzard employee posting about it saying that 1.7 UI scale is not ready yet and may not be until 2.3. Other PC games are suffering from the same. Hellgate: London developers have said they want to support 1.7 but they feel they are not ready for it.

I'm sorry for insulting you on your research. I do the same when ever I buy anything. When I bought my 24" I made sure all the games and apps that I use supported it. At that time I was heavy into graphics so I needed a monitor that could handle Illustrator and Photoshop running at the same time but being able to run at a high resoulation. All Adobe products did at that time and they still do. While your monitor might be great, my opinion is that nothing is ready for it. There is not one UI for WoW, Vanguard, EQ II that supports 1.7 at this time. Companies will support it soon, when is a question you should raise to Blizzard tech instead of here. Even if I remember right, Photek and other UI's have trouble running at 1.6. Mazzle does a great job with it, but others struggle with it.
07-28-07, 05:10 PM   #12
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stormlor
No, I just don't see a point of running a game like WoW at that resolution. Consoles, HD DVD, Blu-Ray is made for that kind of monitor. WoW is not. What I meant about Blizzard not supporting is yes you can do the resolution as high as your video card can go. Has nothing to do with WoW. All WoW does is read you max and implements into the game. UI scale on the other hand is not ready to run at 1.7 and if you don't believe me do a search on Blizzard's tech support forum for WoW and you will see a Blizzard employee posting about it saying that 1.7 UI scale is not ready yet and may not be until 2.3. Other PC games are suffering from the same. Hellgate: London developers have said they want to support 1.7 but they feel they are not ready for it.
UI scale in not ready for 1.7? What does that even mean?

Why don't you actually link that blue post from the WoW forums that you say substantiates and perhaps even explains that. To me, that sounds like nonsense.
07-28-07, 06:08 PM   #13
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

links

Stormlor, please provide that link from Blizzard and, if you have the time, please provide the link to the comment you wrote in curse-gaming under MazzleUI. Thanks

Sir James Dewar
08-09-07, 11:08 PM   #14
Beanz2055
A Kobold Labourer
First off, thank you for the amazing UI, Mazzle.

Secondly, I'd like to humbly add my request for a 1.77 aspect ratio setting. I have been playing WoW for over 2 years on a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV and have had to make do with my own (admittedly ugly) cobbled together UI. While it's perfectly functional, it lacks the pure beauty of MazzleUI.

And for the record: WoW has run absolutely fine @ 1360/768 since the day I brought my baby home. There's never been any sort of UI aspect ratio problem to speak of. If nothing else, Blizzard's UI looks better at that ratio since the bottom artwork doesn't take up the whole width of the screen.
08-10-07, 10:49 PM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Buy Mazz a monitor at that ratio and maybe he could do it if he had the time/energy to.

Oh - and you can change the size of the bottom bar in the default UI by lowering the ui scale. I never liked it taking up the whole screen.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Greatest UI ever but ...