03-04-08, 08:06 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Our Deepest Sympathies

The folks at Blizzard sum it up quite well for all of us:

Many of us here at Blizzard got our start in gaming with Dungeons & Dragons or one of its computer adaptations and have fond memories of rolling dice, poring over rulebooks, braving dark caverns and castle keeps, battling kobolds and hill giants. Gary Gygax's work on D&D was an inspiration to us and in many ways helped spark our passion for creating games of our own. As avid D&D players and fellow game developers, we were all saddened by the news of his passing; we feel we've lost a true adventuring companion. Thanks for everything and farewell, Gary. You will be missed.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-05-08 at 01:50 PM.
03-04-08, 08:08 PM   #2
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

Goodbye Mr.Gygax. You made my childhood less annoying with the marvel known as Dungeons and Dragons.
You will be missed.
03-04-08, 09:20 PM   #3
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
WoW ... this is horrible news... I grew up on D&D and AD&D as well as the numerous incarnations made because of his work.

I still to this day play once in a while.

Games like WoW might not be here today if it was not for Gary.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Rest in peace Gary.

Here is a link to a short story about his death and his Wiki page ... for those interested

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-04-08 at 09:25 PM.
03-05-08, 03:53 AM   #4
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Indeed, D&D was the genesis of Role-Playing Games, and it's likely that we wouldn't have been playing them or their computer-derivates now, or at least not this way and not that much, if it hadn't been here.

My sincere condolences to his relatives.
03-05-08, 08:43 AM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

This day is going to rank among those "days to remember". Like when Jim Henson and Gene Roddenberry passed. RPG's would never of become what they did without Gygax. He will be missed dearly and remembered fondly.

03-05-08, 03:38 PM   #6
Kallieen
Lady of Shadows

Many fond memories of playing D&D at the library after school, staying up until 4 AM doing particularly intense combats, so many friendships that I otherwise would never have made...

He will be sorely missed.
03-05-08, 04:44 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Kallieen View Post
Many fond memories of playing D&D at the library after school, staying up until 4 AM doing particularly intense combats, so many friendships that I otherwise would never have made...

He will be sorely missed.
Heh .. the library ... we used to reserver the library's conference room every saturday from 12-6 (it closed at 6). Then most of us would head to a friends basement to continue our adventures.

I can't tell you how many different dice I owned. My favorite at the time was my d100. Never used it really but it was kewl non the less.

Most of us even went as far as painting miniatures, dressing up, making and using PVC swords and shields.
03-05-08, 05:06 PM   #8
Umbranemo
A Defias Bandit
I still have the original basic D&D box set it was monochrome blue and didn't even have dice yet just a laminated piece of cardboard to cut out and draw from a hat each of the 6 "dice" were a different color. He will be missed.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Our Deepest Sympathies