03-08-09, 08:40 AM   #1
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Raid Roller - Numbering members

Hello.

I am looking for a somewhat specific raid-roll add-on.

When we raid we count the people from 1 to X according to how the raidleader see people in his raid menu. The problem is that we sometimes, during a raid, change groups.

When we do this a person who before might have been '3' now may become '7'.

What I am looking for is a raid-roll mod that, when the raid starts, is able to designate a number to each person (user or auto) in the raid that they have all the time, so when I make a roll with the addon, the addon picks up on the number, prints the name etc.

This to prevent people going mental over 'I was number 3!!! I should get it!' etc.

thanks in advance.
03-08-09, 09:17 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
have you thought of just writing out their names on a piece of paper and giving them a number that way?

sometimes the best solution is the simplest solution.
03-08-09, 09:38 AM   #3
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
have you thought of just writing out their names on a piece of paper and giving them a number that way?

sometimes the best solution is the simplest solution.
Yes =) That was my first idea. But it would be nice to have a somewhat automated system as well ... It might take some time to write all the names down and it would save some time.

But point taken
03-08-09, 12:18 PM   #4
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Correct me if I assume wrong but you are doing this because of loot correct and you want to hand out loot such as BOE's to random people so you would roll with /roll and lets say you are in a 25 man raid so you as the raid leader would type /roll 25 and it would give you a number between 1-25. and let's say the number 13 came up and Bob is number 13 so you hand him the green. Am I wrong in thinking that this is for a loot system? If so disregard my next part.

Now if this is for a loot system of some sort you do know that if its on master looter you can click on an item and select random roll and it will hand it to someone in the raid, unless its an addon I have that does this. And in the case that it might be an addon I have that does this, the only loot addon I have is XLoot. Now I hope I have made some sense, I haven't slept yet and was headed there right after I checked the forums here . Anyways, hopefully this post is at least marginally helpful to you and if not I apologize.

- Winston Churchill
03-08-09, 02:24 PM   #5
Vilkku
An Aku'mai Servant

You do realize that it does not matter if a person changes groups between raidrolls, everyone will still have the same 1/25 chance of winning?
03-08-09, 02:40 PM   #6
Foxlit
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Vilkku View Post
You do realize that it does not matter if a person changes groups between raidrolls, everyone will still have the same 1/25 chance of winning?
The problem is not so much the probably as the default UI making player numbering inconsistent across clients -- unless you're the leader, you always appear as the last person in your own group within the raid, potentially causing "hey, #10 is me, not that guy" complications.

A less ambiguous number assignment might be a simple alphabetical sort of all the player names in the raid: i.e. Aardvark would win if a 1 is rolled, and Zebra would win on 25. Slight complications may arise if people in your raid have non-ANSI characters in their names.

I'm not aware of any addon that currently does this. You can use the following macro to find out which name in your raid corresponds to the random roll if you use the alphabetical sort strategy:
/run t={}; for i=1,GetNumRaidMembers() do t[i] = UnitName(i); end table.sort(t); print(t[RANDOM ROLL RESULT GOES HERE]);
03-08-09, 03:52 PM   #7
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
What I want to avoid is just the situation that a person is #10 one time and the next not, due to either changing groups and/or the problem mentioned about that people see the raid-order different.

Also, with statistics, if you roll a 10-sided dice 100 times it should be even rolls on each number. This makes (even if hypothetical) that a person who had #3 one time and the next time #11 might have an advantage if 3 already turned up in a roll.

But I guess paper and pen is what I have to aim for =)

The A-Z version is a start, but there are complications as you mentioned.

Will have to wait some more and see if someone who can code think this is worth putting effort in.

But it would be nice, each name in a raid get a number by random that, when you roll with the add-on, get printed as a winner when his/hers number get rolled ...
03-08-09, 04:55 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by aretziel View Post
Also, with statistics, if you roll a 10-sided dice 100 times it should be even rolls on each number. This makes (even if hypothetical) that a person who had #3 one time and the next time #11 might have an advantage if 3 already turned up in a roll.
Ah, here is where the fallacy lies. A 10 sided die has a *chance* of landing on each side 10 times if you roll it 100 times. But chance is not predictable. Flipping a coin, there is a *chance* that you will get an equal amount of heads and tails for each toss. A one in two (50%) chance of getting heads does not mean that if you get tails on the first toss, the second toss will automatically be heads.

What someone tried pointing out to you earlier was this:
Originally Posted by Vilkku
There is no advantage to them changing groups.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-08-09, 05:35 PM   #9
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences."
03-09-09, 04:02 AM   #10
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I know, I get the points, statistic chances, forgot the word 'chance' ...

But still it prevents people from thinking their chance have diminished or whatever.

Most of you do know the fuzz it may start when someone in a raid think they been cheated.

All I was looking for was a simple way that an add-on would randomly give people numbers and roll and present, as to prevent people from thinking they been cheated by the man =)
06-28-09, 01:51 PM   #11
A Defias Bandit
if you use the addon called masterlooter, it will choose a random person without showing the raid the result of the random number - hence no complaining.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Raid Roller - Numbering members