07-22-09, 11:40 AM   #1
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sam Raimi Readying Warcraft for Big Screen

Ran across this news article and thought I would share

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b135...craft_big.html

Goodbye, nasty Evil Dead demons. Hello, orcs, trolls, elves, dwarves, knights, gnomes, raiders, conjurers and warlocks—and just in time for Comic-Con.

Sam Raimi, the innovative director behind the Evil Dead and Spider-Man trilogies, has signed on to helm a big-screen version of World of Warcraft, heralded by the Guinness Book of Records as the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) of all time.

Gamers rejoice!

Getting his Avatar freak on, the filmmaker is teaming up with Legendary Pictures to translate Blizzard Entertainment's hit online game and fantasy universe—which follows various heroes on a Lord of the Rings-type quest on the planet of Azeroth—into what is hoped will be a blockbuster film franchise.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," reveled Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

"From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice," added Blizzard's chief operating officer Paul Sams. "Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

Helping Raimi realize his fantastical vision will be Charles Roven, veteran producer of last year's biggest hit, The Dark Knight, which is now the second-highest grossing movie ever—not far behind Titanic.

He'll supervise production on Warcraft through his Atlas Entertainment banner, while Legendary will coproduce and cofinance the flick with Warner Bros.

The helmer's propensity for thrills and chills mixed with an inventive camera style and a touch of slapstick comedy often compared to the Three Stooges earned him a cult following, starting with 1981's camp horror classic Evil Dead, which spawned two successful sequels.

After branching out into comic-book adaptations (1990's Dark Man), he took a stab at more mainstream fare (1995's box-office bomb The Quick and the Dead, 1998's acclaimed thriller A Simple Plan, and the 1999 baseball weeper For Love of the Game) before returning to genre filmmaking with 2000's The Gift.

Those credits ultimately prepared him for the job of a lifetime, making the first of what would eventually be three hit movies based on Marvel Comic's Spider-Man.

After taking a break to make the just-released comedy horror flick Drag Me to Hell, Raimi is due to start lensing a fourth Spider-Man adventure this fall, which will unspool in 2011.

If it doesn't get stuck in development hell, expect World of Warcraft to storm theaters as early as 2012.
07-22-09, 11:43 AM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I read this on MMO-Champion this morning.

I consider it good news.
07-22-09, 11:45 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
It's all over the place, and no wonder.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-22-09, 11:48 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I kinda figured it would be My roomie hit me with this little gem before I even had a chance to open Feedly and read it for myself lol. I'm really excited about seeing WoW on the big screen, and can hardly wait!!
07-22-09, 12:27 PM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Couldn't think of a better director than Sam Raimi to direct it. Even the movies that bombed in the box office that he directed are still some of my favorites. I love his atypical style for camera work. If i had heard any other director i might not be as excited for a solid outcome.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-22-09, 12:42 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Sweet! Finally looks like it's getting off the ground.

If it doesn't get stuck in development hell, expect World of Warcraft to storm theaters as early as 2012.
DON'T JINX IT!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-09, 12:43 PM   #7
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh, come on...I'm pretty sure Uwe Boll would do an excellent job!

/sarcasm off

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-22-09, 12:58 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post

/sarcasm off

07-22-09, 01:00 PM   #9
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post

/sarcasm off
WAIT WHAT?

you mean Uwe Boll isn't going to direct this movie??!!

brb, kittens -> oven -> pie
07-22-09, 01:35 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Could it be... Satan?!?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-09, 01:38 PM   #11
Zimran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Apparently the Mayans were right.
07-22-09, 02:37 PM   #12
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

/excited ><

07-22-09, 02:49 PM   #13
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Zimran View Post
Apparently the Mayans were right.
Yes, but the Mayans said Dec 21, 2012 so hopefully it'll be a Summer release!

Hopefully, the global cooling that Hades is currently experiencing will not have any effect by then...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-22-09, 02:51 PM   #14
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Could it be... Satan?!?
Well isn't that speciaal?

That was one of my favorite skits Seerah, thank you.

I'll be going to the theater for this movie. I'm not hugely excited, but it is long overdue on the reel. Good luck to the development team pulling this one off, I hope it's more 'out of the books' than 'from the game'.
07-22-09, 04:19 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I love to read! I guess I should get the books sometime and read em.
07-22-09, 05:09 PM   #16
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I've definitely got to be the only person I guess that sees a horrible movie. Now I could be wrong but many movies based on games have come before and have faded away due to how horribly bad they are. I just don't foresee this movie as being all that and a bag of cookies. Though as I said I could be wrong I have been wrong about movies before but it isn't very often, but alas this will be a movie I will most likely skip seeing in the theaters and wait to watch it when it comes out on DVD. Unless of course I am razzled and dazzled by the trailer which again I don't think will happen. Sorry folks, though I may play World of Warcraft and like the game, I just don't see this as being great and epic as most other people might.

Though as I have stated twice in here, My view points might change come a trailer, but until one is released I don't think this will be very good.

- Winston Churchill
07-22-09, 05:19 PM   #17
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

/Agree with Miralen. I can't think of a single movie based on a game that was worth going to the theater for. As far as Sam Raimi directing, yeah he's put out a couple of good ones, Spiderman I and II namely, but he also did Spiderman III which probably put an end to the franchise unfortunately.

Studio Exec: A dance number in the middle of the new Spiderman Movie? Really???

Sam Raimi: Yeah! YEAH! It'll be GREAT! Just wait!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-22-09, 06:48 PM   #18
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Oh goody now we can see what a emo night elf would look like...
07-22-09, 07:07 PM   #19
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

I'm also with Miralen and voodoodad on this one. I'm not really excited right now, but admittedly might change my tune if I see a good trailer OR if a bunch of my non-WoW-playing friends rave about it.

Last edited by Jesamyn : 07-22-09 at 09:24 PM.
07-22-09, 09:19 PM   #20
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Miralen View Post
<snip> Now I could be wrong but many movies based on games have come before and have faded away due to how horribly bad they are. <snip>
This is precisely why I mentioned Uwe Boll. Horribad game/comic movies.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Sam Raimi Readying Warcraft for Big Screen