07-29-09, 12:18 PM   #1
Magenn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to get it to keep the look of the UI.

How do I get it to save the look of a UI. If it is something, when I load it on my backup copy of WoW it comes out a mess. Help?
07-29-09, 12:22 PM   #2
Tyrnal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

the easiest way is to copy the account folder in your warcraft directory, it holds all the settings and configs for your UI
07-29-09, 12:23 PM   #3
Magenn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Let me clear it up, Im trying to distribute it, but it comes out a mess..
07-29-09, 12:37 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Here's a stickied tutorial just for you then http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21175
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-29-09, 12:37 PM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Guide: Packaging up your UI to share with others. should solve all your problems.

And of course Seerah beat me by like 2 seconds ><

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 07-29-09 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Curses foiled again!
07-29-09, 12:38 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Same thing as has been said.

Not only will you need to distribute the addon folders you are using but also the relative WTF files.

EG. If you have bartender in your interface that you have set up to sit at a certain position with a certain look you will need to copy the bartender addon folder and the bartender.wtf file so that other people will be able to utilise your settings.

Obviously it goes farther than that. Seeing as you have a backup wow folder you can test this better by copying over the relevant addon and wtf files and then running the game. It should work fine assuming you are running the same character and server you initially designed it with.

Once that works you then have the settings the way other people will need to have them setup as and so will need to include them in your final upload. But, make sure that you change the SERVER name and ACCOUNT name to unspecific names so that the users can change them to their respective values. Also, if there are character specific settings you will need to do the same there and change the CHARACTER name to a non specific name too.

So that your game doesn't mess up with these changes you might want to make these changes inside the compressed folder that you have created at this point and contains the folder hierarchy needed for this all to work.

This way when they download and extract your addon into their downloads folder they need only change the SERVER, ACCOUNT and CHARACTER names to their ones and then copy the folders in and they should, at that point be seeing the same setup you designed.

Apart from that info I cannot help you more as I do not use other peoples compilations myself and cannot describe the process more exactly.

Edit: Or follow the steps that MidgetMage linked.

All Level 70 Characters:
Demon Warlock
Resto Druid
Disc Priest
Resto Shaman
Survival Hunter
Augment Evoker
Frost Mage
Vengence Demon Hunter
Rogue ( was subtlety )

Brewmaster Monk (TR)
Prot Paladin (TR)
Blood Death Knight ( TR)

As you can see I am missing a warrior

And .. I don't have all the allied races covered. Time Runner time when it happens again

07-29-09, 01:18 PM   #7
Magenn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Same thing as has been said.

Not only will you need to distribute the addon folders you are using but also the relative WTF files.

EG. If you have bartender in your interface that you have set up to sit at a certain position with a certain look you will need to copy the bartender addon folder and the bartender.wtf file so that other people will be able to utilise your settings.

Obviously it goes farther than that. Seeing as you have a backup wow folder you can test this better by copying over the relevant addon and wtf files and then running the game. It should work fine assuming you are running the same character and server you initially designed it with.

Once that works you then have the settings the way other people will need to have them setup as and so will need to include them in your final upload. But, make sure that you change the SERVER name and ACCOUNT name to unspecific names so that the users can change them to their respective values. Also, if there are character specific settings you will need to do the same there and change the CHARACTER name to a non specific name too.

So that your game doesn't mess up with these changes you might want to make these changes inside the compressed folder that you have created at this point and contains the folder hierarchy needed for this all to work.

This way when they download and extract your addon into their downloads folder they need only change the SERVER, ACCOUNT and CHARACTER names to their ones and then copy the folders in and they should, at that point be seeing the same setup you designed.

Apart from that info I cannot help you more as I do not use other peoples compilations myself and cannot describe the process more exactly.

Edit: Or follow the steps that MidgetMage linked.
Oh I see, umm, for some reason I dont see a Bartender WTF file in my WTF folder...?
07-29-09, 02:02 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Magenn View Post
Oh I see, umm, for some reason I dont see a Bartender WTF file in my WTF folder...?
If you have Bartender addon you should see a Bartender.lua in your WTF folders. I believe it is held per character so you may need to drop down to a character folder.

eg.

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ SavedVariables\Bartender.lua

or

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ ( ServerNameHere )\Bartender.lua

or

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ ( ServerNameHere )\ (CharacterNameHere) \ SavedVariables\Bartender.lua

All Level 70 Characters:
Demon Warlock
Resto Druid
Disc Priest
Resto Shaman
Survival Hunter
Augment Evoker
Frost Mage
Vengence Demon Hunter
Rogue ( was subtlety )

Brewmaster Monk (TR)
Prot Paladin (TR)
Blood Death Knight ( TR)

And .. I don't have all the allied races covered. Time Runner time when it happens again

07-29-09, 02:22 PM   #9
Magenn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
If you have Bartender addon you should see a Bartender.lua in your WTF folders. I believe it is held per character so you may need to drop down to a character folder.

eg.

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ SavedVariables\Bartender.lua

or

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ ( ServerNameHere )\Bartender.lua

or

C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ ( AccountNameHere ) \ ( ServerNameHere )\ (CharacterNameHere) \ SavedVariables\Bartender.lua

When I set it all up it also doesn't have the stuff.. IT seems to reset it for my other copy of WoW.

Edit: I go in there and I dont see at all the Bartender.lua.

Last edited by Magenn : 07-29-09 at 02:25 PM.
07-29-09, 02:40 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Magenn View Post
When I set it all up it also doesn't have the stuff.. IT seems to reset it for my other copy of WoW.

Edit: I go in there and I dont see at all the Bartender.lua.
Hmm, the only way that would happen is if you do not have Bartender at all. It was an example that you could have possibly had but perhaps you are using a different bar addon.

Also, you are checking the copy that you set the UI up in ? Whatever addons you are setting up you need to locate the .lua files in the WTF folders as described with the bartender example. Just replace Bartender with another addon you are using for your UI.

All Level 70 Characters:
Demon Warlock
Resto Druid
Disc Priest
Resto Shaman
Survival Hunter
Augment Evoker
Frost Mage
Vengence Demon Hunter
Rogue ( was subtlety )

Brewmaster Monk (TR)
Prot Paladin (TR)
Blood Death Knight ( TR)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How to get it to keep the look of the UI.