08-12-09, 04:24 PM   #1
Evenprimes
A Defias Bandit
How do you go about rebuilding your UI?

So, you've picked out what mods you want to use and have the basic layout on paper. How do you go about setting up the UI?

Do you install all the mods and just go to town, install but disable most, or install in small groups?

I was thinking about this since I recently had to reinstall WoW and took the opportunity to rebuild my not-very nice UI into some prettier and more functional. I started with just a couple of mods like Pitbull and Bartender and went from there, but it got to be a hassle restarting the game to add a few more mods every 20 minutes or so.

So, what process do you use?
08-12-09, 04:38 PM   #2
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I install all the addons at once, but I turn off most at the charselect screen. What I leave enabled - AddonControlPanel, so I can turn on more addons once I have the ones already on configured, actionbar mod, buffs, minimap, kgpanels, autobar, and unitframes, as well as SharedMedia. That's 8 addons, but they make up 90% of the visual aspect of any UI.

Once those are configured, just pull up ACP, check the boxes for the next batch, and click the reloadui button. :-)

Much faster than quitting out of wow, installing, restarting wow. Just a couple of extra seconds up front, and a bunch of reloadui's.
08-12-09, 05:12 PM   #3
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Always always always start with just unit frames enabled. Other than that it's mostly preference on how much you're annoyed.

I install in batches. I'll start with major space-consuming components (unit frames, action bars, buffs) installed.

Restart to add in important but less space-consuming elements (boss mods, threat & damage meter, minimap)

Restart to add extra aesthetics (panels, button skins) and convenience addons (auto: sell grey, repair, reagent restock)

Then I'll add in once-a-month-use addons (mostly tradeskill and questing addons) as needed down the road.

There's no downside to installing them in once mass though, as long as you know what you're going to be using. Personally I don't like getting into a niche where I'm always using the same addons in my UI, so I add them in batches so I can explore alternatives and maybe get a unique look.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How do you go about rebuilding your UI?