12-03-09, 06:41 PM   #1
ares0027
A Defias Bandit
I have some ideas but ???

First of all i want to apologize if i have created this thread to wrong forum, i am really really sorry if i did that.

Anyway;

I have no knowledge of lua or any other programming languages.
I have too much desire to learn and create an addon.
I have read all "newbie" texts on wowace,wowinterface,wowwiki,blizz addon stuff about creating an addon.
I tried to edit some of the simple addons (which only shows the source of items or some other like that) but failed to do so.
I have too many ideas about addons.
(I think) I know what an addon does, why do i need to use libraries/dependencies for an addon.
I don't know how to use some of the libraries that will be useful for my addons.

And i am looking a mentor who will help or at least answer some of my newbie questions (not noob! just newbie) (i am not an idiot, i am 24 years old biomed)
Here are my ideas and i am looking someone who can help me with any of them (i can do the all trash work like adding ALL of the item ids or names etc) or no help at all (if you dont want me to)

Those ideas are final, i know writing an addon takes too much time and effort, and i know some of the ideas or part of them are just insane but i think they will be useful.

1 - A gear planner;

I am thinking an ui just like ItemRack or something like that which takes a shot of your current gear (or a blank character info screen) and lets you replace the items slot by slot, then uses something like rating buster and shows you an estimated stat changes just like rating buster.And maybe edits Dr.Damage or gives you some directions to let you change your dr.damage settings so you will be able to see an estimated changes by every aspect.

It can use item id's or itemlevels (which i think ids will be a better and more accurate) so it can show you only the better stuff.OFC there should be a list which includes almost all item ids and it should give addon the information of the which item is better than which one(maybe item ids will just make a list like

and if item id is 11113 addon skips 11111 and 11112 and shows the rest. Or it doesnt shows "better" at all, it shows all items.(which i believe this is possible)

And then it can combines all information together (gear only) and can make a list of places/dungeons where you can get what.

2 - A personal AH

There was a project going on @Curse about this;

A personal AH which will use the almost same as the guild bank ui, and uses an addon channel to communicate.The person who was in charge told me that he could already done that.

With the addon;
***You will be able to add any of your items to your virtual ah slot and set a price for it.
***Addon communicates the information throught the channel to all other addon users.
***Other users can search any item in the addon.
***When a user wants to buy something that info can go through the addon channel and the seller could see a message like "XXXX bought YYYxZZZ item for MMMMgold.Please COD XXXX YYYxZZZ item for MMMM gold."?
***Addon can use an encrypted message to keep addon safe/fake items out?
***With that encrytepd messages you may have chance to set "fff person only" items/prices?
***It could use an encrypted and timestamped savedvariables so if the user gets crashed/tries to fake(or double post) same item he can get the "already done" information from other addon users.

i have some more ideas but i dont want to waste time of yours if this is the wrong forums, or if i am asking too much?

And one last request please, at least tell me these are possible or impossible? so i can stop trying?
12-03-09, 07:54 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
1. WoWEquip

2. Ybe is planning something like that.
Maybe you can add your feedback here.
12-04-09, 11:11 AM   #3
ares0027
A Defias Bandit
wow that was the exact thing i was thinking. i am downloading now.

what about the second idea? is it doable?
12-04-09, 11:24 AM   #4
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by ares0027 View Post
what about the second idea? is it doable?
Actually, during classic WoW beta (before auction houses) there was an addon that did just about what you described. So, doable? Yes. However, someone would have to write one for today's WoW.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
12-04-09, 02:38 PM   #5
ares0027
A Defias Bandit
i tried to contact the author of the addon for virtual ah, he haven't responded yet. maybe because he knows i am not an addon author but if some of you tries to reach him maybe he can give you the semi-completed addon? his name is parmie on curse btw
12-04-09, 05:11 PM   #6
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

i tried to contact the author of the addon for virtual ah, he haven't responded yet. maybe because he knows i am not an addon author but if some of you tries to reach him maybe he can give you the semi-completed addon? his name is parmie on curse btw
Your personal AH sounds very interesting for my library. I would love to have you in on that. Especially since my coding-time has gone down quite a bit lately. I would supply the ability to time-stamp, reliably communicate, and share ("complex") data between clients.
If you have downloaded my addon, it will show you my library's ability to simulate a central database.
I may even be able to supply some more help for you with stuff.
12-04-09, 05:22 PM   #7
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

I'd like to comment on some of your points.
I have no knowledge of lua or any other programming languages.
That was true for us all at some point. But if you do not know how to program, you will have a huge problem that probably can't be solved by a mentor from here.

I have too much desire to learn and create an addon.
Good start, that.

I have read all "newbie" texts on wowace,wowinterface,wowwiki,blizz addon stuff about creating an addon.
Also a good start.

I have too many ideas about addons.
That is very interresting, of course.

(I think) I know what an addon does, why do i need to use libraries/dependencies for an addon.
You don't. You will only need a library for "ease" of programming or conformity of look and feel. But you do not have to.
Personally I hate all those libraries. The later versions of WoW messes the need for those quite considerably as it does not help much with saving memory anymore.

I don't know how to use some of the libraries that will be useful for my addons.
Forget the libraries. An addon can be only a few lines of code, with no libraries. For starters, it will only confuse you. As a beginning, go to wowwiki and make something from the tutorial there. Just to see stuff happen on screen. Then play with it to further understand how it works.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » I have some ideas but ???