12-20-11, 08:21 PM   #1
menace97
Premium Member

Premium Member
Lightbulb sub-category for broker-display addons

suggestion:

i think it would be really helpful to make a separate new sub-category under BROKER addons for BROKER DISPLAY addons. getting them all mixed together in one category makes it difficult to find just the display broker addons.
12-20-11, 09:15 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We've discussed it before and we aren't sure whether we want to do it or not. While it might be nice to have them in their own category, it runs into the problem of people having to drill down through too many pages to get to them. They already have to go through three steps to get to the Broker addons now, people are going to get annoyed if they have to go yet another step. Trying to find the right balance can be tricky by times, and whichever way we go with it, someone is bound to be unhappy.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-21-11, 03:13 AM   #3
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How about another idea to make it easier to find specific addons; tags

Let authors tag addons, and expand the search engine to find addons that include one tag, several tags, exclude one or several tags from search results, e.g.

Sometimes I wish to find a specific addons, let's say a buff addon but I don't want it to be bars, I just want standard icons, so a tag for "bars" and exclude that would remove half the addons and narrow down my results by a lot, helping find what I really want.

Just an idea, I always wondered why no UI sites have a more in-depth search system, with many tags and include/exclude options. :S Compilations should for example have the resolutions they work with as tags, so people trying to find a compilation can search by resolution tag to find all compatible packages, I mean the tag system would hugely improve searching.
12-21-11, 11:40 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Aye, that's something else that we keep looking into. That takes a lot of coding time to set up, though, and Dolby is only one man (even if he is THE man! ).
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-21-11, 01:35 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I am just happy I am not alone on this... just WEIRD that no other site dedicated to addons (that is popular) has done this earlier... it's not that hard or complicated, just requires some time to setup but once it's running it will help narrow results down by a lot! <3
12-21-11, 08:04 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

You could move the "Data Broker" category to "Featured Projects" instead of "Standalone Addons > Info, Plug-in Bars". That would reduce one level of categories.

Since FuBar is no longer maintained or supported, everything in that category should probably be moved to Outdated Mods.

If Titan Panel is still relevant, that could become another Featured Projects category.

On a similar note, you could reduce some category layers elsewhere by making "Class Specific" a top-level category like "Standalone Mods" or "Compilations & Suites".

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » sub-category for broker-display addons