WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gameplay (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   "QuestHelper/Carbonite" - Blizzard Edition (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28358)

Shadowed 11-11-09 11:08 PM

Even if Blizzards isn't good enough to completely replace Carbonite or QuestHelper out of the box, it will likely provide enough data to allow people to make the same types of addons that are cleaner and far more efficient that do just as well. Which is mostly what matters in the end.

Xrystal 11-11-09 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 165603)
I don't happen to agree here p3lim.

For one thing it's not turned on by default on the build I tried it with (10747 or 10772 I think). It's a bit of suprise when you get it all turned on but it's not turned on by default.

With over 10 million wow players a newbie player will probably turn to their friends , guild mates and family for help first. Then they will turn to resources on the net to look things up before seeking to turn this option on.

My other point is this feature does not play the game for you. Where to go on the map for quest X to get object Y or kill objective Z is all it does.

It's not going to pop up on screen and tell you your HP is going down. The new tutorials help but they aren't going to tell you "Your HP is at 10% press the buttton that looks like this to heal you now"

No. You will still need to learn the play the game. You would still need to figure out that when something's hitting you and your health is low you can press this button to heal you and that it takes x time to activate so start doing it ahead of time.

It's not going to tell you the various ins and outs of playing a class that you learn simply by playing the game (zomg i dont need to keep wasting mana on heals when I can put something on myself to heal me automatically over time :).

It's not a hand holder. It doesn't give your prompts on your screen for exactly what spell to push or which button to push at what time.

but but .. this would be perfect .. rofl .. *giggle* .. sorry couldn't resist. Some of this reminded me of when my mother decided to take a walk through the Night Elf starting zone. She was fine for a while walking around looking at things .. then she got a surprise of her life when a cat came up and attacked her without warning .. rofl. It was a big surprise for her and her first death experience told her the game wasn't for her. But she liked it up till that point :D

Bluspacecow 11-12-09 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 165612)
but but .. this would be perfect .. rofl .. *giggle* .. sorry couldn't resist. Some of this reminded me of when my mother decided to take a walk through the Night Elf starting zone. She was fine for a while walking around looking at things .. then she got a surprise of her life when a cat came up and attacked her without warning .. rofl. It was a big surprise for her and her first death experience told her the game wasn't for her. But she liked it up till that point :D

Exactly my point.

The new quest tracking feature won't teach your mother what to do when a tiger is hitting you.

It's not going to tell her what to do when "zomg theirs this cat hitting and oh god it hurts and it Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurns :("

Tell me did you mom go : Ok where's the water spray button ? or the /pat button ?

Or was it straight to the "okay lets rip this kittys face off"

Xrystal 11-15-09 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 165618)
Exactly my point.

The new quest tracking feature won't teach your mother what to do when a tiger is hitting you.

It's not going to tell her what to do when "zomg theirs this cat hitting and oh god it hurts and it Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurns :("

Tell me did you mom go : Ok where's the water spray button ? or the /pat button ?

Or was it straight to the "okay lets rip this kittys face off"

Rofl, it was .. ooh a kitty how cute .. ouch .. ouch .. I was only saying hello ... rofl

Petrah 11-15-09 01:02 PM

I don't think Blizzard is trying to replace anything. Rather, trying to implement similar features of popular addons for those who don't like to use addons. I see nothing wrong with this.

Bluspacecow 11-18-09 02:03 AM

Good news everyone !

You can now move that reduced World Map frame by turning on an option and right clicking the title :)

This is the smaller version of the world map you get via clicking the Southwest arrow at the top of the world map

New change for build 10835

Petrah 11-18-09 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 166280)
Good news everyone !

You can now move that reduced World Map frame by turning on an option and right clicking the title :)

This is the smaller version of the world map you get via clicking the Southwest arrow at the top of the world map

New change for build 10835

Yay.

The message you've entered is too short. Please.... etcetera etcetera etcetera...

Dawn 11-18-09 10:28 AM

I really like the new Quest Tracker. It is something that fits into the game and people can decide if they want to use it or not. I personally don't need more than what it seems to offer. And if someone needs more, one can always add more functionality to it. Or just deactivate it and keep using QuestHelper or whatever. :)

forty2j 11-19-09 09:12 AM

Did they integrate the "reduced world map" into the "zone map" (e.g. battleground map), or are they still different?

Bluspacecow 11-19-09 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty2j (Post 166409)
Did they integrate the "reduced world map" into the "zone map" (e.g. battleground map), or are they still different?

No they are different and sepearate.

On the PTR i am able to have both on screen at the same time.

When it's reduced it's the frame still has the same name "WorldMapFrame"

Cralor 11-19-09 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 166412)
No they are different and sepearate.

On the PTR i am able to have both on screen at the same time.

When it's reduced it's the frame still has the same name "WorldMapFrame"

Is it an unobtrusive size? Can you scale it? What are your feelings about that? (I haven't gotten on to PTR =/)

Bluspacecow 11-19-09 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cralor (Post 166417)
Is it an unobtrusive size? Can you scale it? What are your feelings about that? (I haven't gotten on to PTR =/)

It's of a ideal size actually.

Couldn't move it until the latest build when they added an option so that you could right click it and unlock it from a menu. You could then move it.