View Single Post
08-29-08, 04:04 PM   #47
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Newegg's system, while better than anonymous 1-5 stars, still isn't that great.
True, there really isn't a system without some sort of flaw in how it associates to what it's describing/selling/etc. I think the bigger tasks with AddOns is taking something, like you said, that's fairly trivial in terms of what it does and how easy it is to interchange them and find a way to bring the cream of the crop to the front of the pack so they're visible to more of the site.

But, we're still stuck with how to determine which are the better and which are not of that breed of AddOn. With the variety & large category base of what's out there right now...it's a task in itself to simply properly organize them. Nevermind rating/scoring/etc. to determine which to be included in some kind of feature system.

I guess with my idea, I was along the thought of minimizing the actual "task" of inputing feedback instead of maximizing the utilization "of" that feedback. One has to wonder if there's a happy medium. The bottom line is, the "quality" of an AddOn must be determined from multiple points of view to avoid bias.

Should we dare suggest a "panel" of WoWI reviewers to handle such a task? With such a group, there would be the ability to tailor reviews according to simply one persons PoV for informational purposes, but use the input of the entire panel to rate the overall quality (think PC Gamer review system), which would entail utilizing such badges of merit as "AddOn of the Month/Week/Year" and other creative tidbits.