View Single Post
09-28-09, 11:39 AM   #26
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by downset View Post
you are right, a program that pops up a warning that it has an invalid certificate and wants unrestricted access is no problem at all

no other application does this, but for the complex and close to impossible task of checking a bunch of files for updates this just has to be done

only paranoid haters would complain
Shirik has already explained that Windows requires a certain permission set, in order for Minion to work as intended. It is not possible to use the same certificate and require a different permission set for mac. Shirik was not upset because "an os caught his application that wants access to parts it doesn't need", Minion has been tested on Mac and I'm willing to bet he was well aware of the warning. The warning (albeit generic) and the "Details" button is there for a reason, which is, to allow the user to make an informed decision. It has already been explained to you why the warning exists and thus I would expect that a reasonable person would ultimately make a choice, to trust the application and install or not install. No one here is forcing you to do either thing. It's really as simple as that.

but don't worry my choice is made, it just amazes me that no-one even considers this a problem, i would think many programmers would reside here some that care about this kind of thing....

the only kind of posts i get is the inane justifications of people who don't even know what i mean and a programmer that does not care that his program presents itself as a harmful application

nice thing you have going here
No one considers this a problem, probably because satisfactory explanations have been presented. Using your logic, we should probably conclude that each and every time a security feature is being triggered by an action restricted to a specific entity (in any OS), a harmful application is always to blame. While obviously that is something likely to occur, if it was the case for every single application, I'd reckon Window's UAC at least would have it really bad On a more serious note, as I mentioned earlier, it ultimately comes down to a simple point : "trusting" an application and allowing it to continue functioning, the way its designed to function, or not trusting it for whatever reason and disallowing access/deleting it/whatever. There is nothing paranoid about this and in all honesty continuing to argue over such a simple matter, iterating the same points, only weakens your point of view.