View Single Post
03-16-13, 11:53 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Others that are incorrectly marked as not updated:

Also, at this point, I don't think these addons should be included in the guide anymore:
  • Advanced Trade Skill Window - not updated on WoWI since 2010, not updated for 5.2 on Curse either
  • AlphaMap - not updated on WoWI since 2009, not updated on Curse since 2011
  • DamageMeters - not updated on WoWI since 2009, and the Curse page with the same name appears to be a different addon by an unrelated author
  • EquipCompare - not updated since 2010, and is now a default UI feature
  • Ion - was prettty much stillborn and should not be recommended, especially to new users, since it is only half-functional and has no active developer
  • PallyPower - why?!?!? This is like my own addon AnkhUp... I stripped it down and "repurposed" it for the modern era, but really it's completely useless, and I only keep it around out of nostalgia.
  • Preform AV Enabler - didn't Blizzard break this a while back?
  • Proximo - not updated since 2008; you might recommend Gladius instead
  • Recipe Radar - not updated since 2011; there's no way it's useful for MoP or probably even Cataclysm
  • SatrinaBuffFrame - it's dead, Jim
  • SquawkAndAwe - not updated since 2011
  • TourGuide - it's dead, Jim
  • Trinket Menu - not updated since 2008
  • XBar - not updated since 2011

Also, I'm not sure what the intent of this guide is... there are some addons on there (like oGlow) that probably have about 10 users, and others (like Healbot or DBM) that have 100,000 users but aren't listed. If the intent is to help new addon users, there are a lot of addons listed that new users really shouldn't be encouraged to use, since they are legacy addons whose features are now provided by the default UI. For example, unless you've been using Group Calendar or Outfitter since the Burning Crusade and are just used to how they work, you should really just use the default UI's calendar invite system and equipment set manager, especially if you're new to using addons.

All in all, it seems like a strange page. It might be better replaced by a more general guide that explains how to enable "out of date" addons, what "out of date" actually means after a patch, and suggestions for using the site's Favorites feature and/or the Curse Client (Minion is dead, right?) to keep up with updates.