View Single Post
04-14-09, 06:22 AM   #66
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Miserian View Post
While I understand the point of shutting down WM (bandwidth leeching, no acknowledgment of author rights, etc), what baffles me is the timing.
I think we've already established that the timing was deliberate, as was the lack of any prior notice. What did you expect them to say ? "Hey guys, we've just devised a way to block you, so we'd like to make this public knowledge".

Arguably the biggest patch in WoW's short history arrives today
In terms of overall changes (classes + content), perhaps. In terms of pure content, no, we've seen it before (AQ, Naxx @60, BT, etc). In terms of addon breakage, we've been through much worse (e.g combat log system changes) and survived just fine.

A simple front page post a few days ago letting people know what's up and what to expect come patch day (with links to the appropriate updaters), would I'm sure have saved the admins and authors the mountain of grief that is sure to be headed their way.
A mountain of grief, why ? Curse already reported that their bandwidth usage went down 30% after they blocked WM. This actually ensures that more bandwidth will be available for the sites to handle the distribution process, less downtimes, less issues due to overwhelming strain on the servers.