View Single Post
08-29-08, 07:13 AM   #35
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I like the idea of some form of user feedback/review that allows not only to compliment/critique the AddOn, but provides a sort of "rating". I, along with others here, also agree that the 5-star rating system doesn't really work effectively with the progressive nature of AddOns.

What comes to mind for me, is when I browse a site like NewEgg, where not only is there a rating system, but within that rating system there are "Pro's, Con's, and Comments" fields that allow a buyer to indicate certain aspects they either enjoy or do not enjoy regarding the product.

It's excessive to assume a user downloading an AddOn is going to take a large amount to time to write an adequate review for an AddOn. Furthermore, the need to define "adequate" is quite an open-ended thought. The current comment system has, for the most part, acted like a fast "bug-report" or "feature-request" area for users. To me, this is frustrating, since there is a very good Bug/Feature system included in Users portals (which I think are largely ignored...at least from what I've experienced). And while the comment area is helpful in quickly identifying fast-fix issues, it's few-and-far-between that authors see the occassional "good job" or "awesome AddOn" in there compared to the amount of misplaced questions & reports.

So to supplement what already exists for user feedback, I think a small "Pro & Con" rating system, easily viewable on the AddOn's main page (or maybe the 2-3 most recent, and an additional tab like the ChangeLog) would be adequate, yet not too demanding for people to quickly fill out their thoughts in regards to the AddOn. I know from my experience (I shop at NewEgg a lot), it can be an invaluable resource.