07-19-10, 08:41 AM   #1
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
Addon Troubles!!!

Hey guys i mostly get my addons from wow curse's client and they all work perfectly fine getting them from there. But when i go to say wowinterface and i get addons i download them extract the files to my addons folder in world of warcraft folder and they go there. It shows in the file that they are there but when i go to log in and see the addons in the character selection none of those addons from that website are there!?!?!?! But the ones i get from wow curse are???

Im not sure whats happening here but i really need to get some addons off the website that i cant get off of curse!!

Help! I really want to get addons off of here!
07-19-10, 08:48 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Check where you extract to as there should be a folder inside the zip file. It's the folder inside that you copy to the addon folder and not the extracted to folder.

EG:

Addon Name : nUI_InfoPanel_Chat
Zip File : nUI_InfoPanel_Chat_1_0_0.zip
Extracted Folder : nUI_InfoPanel_Chat_1_0_0
Contents of Extracted Folder : nUI_InfoPanel_Chat

It sounds like you may have copied the Extracted Folder and not the Contents of that extracted folder.

If you are still not sure what I am saying list the folder name in the addon folder for the addon you tried to install from wowinterface. I am guessing it will contain a version number of some sort. This is a sign it is the wrong folder. Open that folder and you should see another folder that is exactly the right name for the addon. That needs to be the folder in the addon folder so move it out.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
07-19-10, 08:55 AM   #3
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
ok i download the file for an addon called Nice Damge just for a trial i see the file Nice Damage in the winrar file i go into the Nice Damage file and it shows a bunch of the addon files in there i click extract and all the way to the addons folder in my world of warcraft folder. Now it shows up in that world of warcraft folder i log in go to the character selection click on my addons and the addon isnt in there!
07-19-10, 09:00 AM   #4
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Your going to far into the .rar file, you need to extract at the folder level not the file level. If you go into your addons folder in WoW you should be finding a bunch of files. The only thing that should be in the "interface/addons" folder are other folders not files.

On a side note, what program are you using to extract the files with?
07-19-10, 09:01 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, okay.

NiceDamage.rar ?

Extracted to folder NiceDamage folder ?

Contents of NiceDamage folder are ? This is the important question. If the contents are another folder or two copy them to the addon folder. If they are files like NiceDamage.toc etc then copy this folder to the addon folder.

The path for the TOC file for this addon should be as follows:

Interface\AddOns\NiceDamage\NiceDamage.toc

If that isn't the case you still haven't got it quite right. If you notice the folder name and the toc file name are identical. This is the case with ALL addons you install into the game. If this isn't happening then this is most likely the cause of the addon not appearing.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
07-19-10, 09:02 AM   #6
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
im using winrar when i extract and it does the same even if i dont go into the addon folder the folder shows up in my addons folder but not in the game.
07-19-10, 09:08 AM   #7
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by whatsup1722 View Post
im using winrar when i extract and it does the same even if i dont go into the addon folder the folder shows up in my addons folder but not in the game.
Winrar ok, the way I extract using winrar is to have both the folder I downloaded the file into, and the "/interface/addons" folder open. Then right click on the downloaded addon, drag it to the addons folder and select "extract here".

When you open an addon file you have download with winrar, you should not see anthing but other folders, if you are seeing files you are too "deep" in the rar file.
07-19-10, 09:13 AM   #8
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
yeah i tried that just dragging it over and it didnt work either im not sure what the heck is going on.
07-19-10, 09:40 AM   #9
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
Does anybody have a good answer i can try taking pictures of my screen and posting it on here.
07-19-10, 10:03 AM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

There are generally 3 reasons an addon does not show up in game. Its either installed in the wrong place, a problem occurred during extraction or the file is broken/not compatible.

To test the first one right click your wow icon and select properties. In the window that pops up look at the target box. Click the find target button and it should open the folder with wow in it as well as your interface folder. If all matches up then this isn't the issue.

To test the second one you need to do as Xrystal mentioned about locating the .TOC file for the addon. When in your addons folder locate the folder for the "faulty" addon. Open it up and immediately you should see a .TOC file. If not then the problem lies in the extraction process. If you see another folder with the same addon name and no .TOC file try opening THAT folder. If you then see the .TOC file you have folder in folder syndrome. Simply take the contents of the second folder and cut/paste it to the original folder.

Example: (we will call the addon DPS for simplicity) You see this path,
Interface
-AddOns
--DPS
---DPS
----DPS.toc and related files.

There should only be this:
Interface
-AddOns
--DPS
---DPS.toc and related files.

The final option is to backup your folders (interface and WTF) by renaming them or moving them to another location, then logging in to the game so they are recreated. Then log out and re-install the addon your having issues with and see if it loads.

Hope that helps some.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-19-10, 10:08 AM   #11
whatsup1722
A Murloc Raider
omg thanks so much i found the problem!!!
07-19-10, 10:08 AM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Inside the "Addons" folder, each addon should have it's own folder. Using your example of NiceDamage from earlier, it should be something like

WoW\Interface\Addons\NiceDamage

Inside the "NiceDamage" folder should be all the files that make up NiceDamage. If you open up the NiceDamage folder, and inside it is ANOTHER folder named "NiceDamage", then you have what's called Folder-In-Folder. The way to fix this is to move the second NiceDamage folder into the Addons folder.

An easy way to check for Folder-In-Folder is to look for the "toc" file - for example, NiceDamage.toc - inside your addon folder.

correct: WoW\Interface\Addons\NiceDamage\NiceDamage.toc

incorrect: WoW\Interface\Addons\NiceDamage\NiceDamage\NiceDamage.toc

Basically, the "toc" file has to be in the first subfolder from Addons, not the 2nd one (or deeper).
07-19-10, 11:22 AM   #13
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by whatsup1722 View Post
omg thanks so much i found the problem!!!
Please share what the problem was, so others can benefit from your experience.
07-19-10, 01:26 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Linking his other thread from earlier this morning for completeness: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...37135719&sid=1
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Addon Troubles!!!