03-02-10, 02:18 PM   #141
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'll have another try and see if I can get the problem happening even on my rogue or druid going in and out of stance during combat I never really noticed it.

Also note though in the most part I do not use keybinds. My main action bar contains my main actions with the first 4 usually being the ones I use the most so I just need to hover my hand over those numbers. I pretty much use the mouse clicking action on the other buttons. It will probably explain why I never see it on a day to day basis but even testing this problem specifically I never see it go wrong.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

03-02-10, 03:33 PM   #142
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Okay, I might have to do 2 posts for this to work but will see. After testing my installer/updater/patches folder to make sure I have everything I need for future installs of wow I logged into each of my characters and noticed a common pattern. This is without nUI mind you but lets see if you can spot it Hint, only one of these have the keybinds showing on the main action bar And strangely enough she is the only one using the extra side bars rofl which is strange cos Im sure I was with the others.

This is on my main server mind you and I definitely don't recall this happening to me before so perhaps a more recent change to WoW seeing as I haven't been playing seriously since October last year or was it the year before .. rofl I lost track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_211521.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	4020  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_211649.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	4021  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_211918.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	4022  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_212025.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	4023  

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_212059.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	4024  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_212233.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	4025  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_212302.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	4026  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030210_212352.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	4027  

Characters:

03-02-10, 05:05 PM   #143
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In your screenshots the toon that has the bindings shown not only has the added side bars, but also has "Character Specific Bindings" unchecked. All the others have it checked.

03-02-10, 05:11 PM   #144
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
In your screenshots the toon that has the bindings shown not only has the added side bars, but also has "Character Specific Bindings" unchecked. All the others have it checked.
ding ding ding .. we have a winner. I'll be checking to see if unchecking it will resolve the problem then if checking breaks it.

Now, if others can check to see if a similar setup is showing on their bugged characters will help us to determine if it is not just me

Characters:

03-02-10, 05:21 PM   #145
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Hmmm...

I wonder if that's the source of the issue... perhaps character specific key bindings are not available from the WoW server as soon as account-wide key bindings are available (i.e. account wide get sent at login, but character don't get set until after you enter the world.

It could be that nUI is trying to reassign the key bindings before the bars were actually bound in the first place (thus no bindings to assign).

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

03-02-10, 05:35 PM   #146
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Okay...

For folks who are having this problem with key bindings not showing up when you log in, can you please edit the file [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Bars > nUI_ButtonBar.lua ] and look at line 219 where the following appears...

Code:
    -- set up the key bindings

elseif event == "UPDATE_BINDINGS" then

--      nUI_ButtonBars:UnregisterEvent( "UPDATE_BINDINGS" );

for i in pairs( nUI_ButtonBars.Bars ) do

local bar = nUI_ButtonBars.Bars[i];
and add the two "--" that appear in red, save the file and log into WoW. Does that change "fix" the problem of key bindings not appearing when you first log in. Does it introduce any other problems for you?

03-02-10, 06:13 PM   #147
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Okay, I have yet to try testing it with nUI but I did the same sort of thing as a baby addon to my non nUI setup and it didn't make any difference. At least that I could see.

However, I unchecked that character specific box and the keybinds came back instantly. Checked it and they disappeared immediately. Clicked on Reset to Default and they came back immediately.

It may be that they made some change in the recent past and to get all our existing characters up to date with this routine is to default the key binds and then reset them.

I'll check to see if they stick with or without that little addon and then try again with the nUI version and see if the same thing happens.

Edit: Okay, after doing the above I logged out to character selection screen and turned off my mini addon with that change you added to nUI and logged back in. For a brief second there were no bindings shown then they flashed up. Sounds like the delay you were talking about.
Edit 2 : Hmm, looks like setting to default unchecks the character specific box. So checked it again and keybinds stayed. Haven't tested to see if they change quite yet though.
Edit 3 : After making the nUI change to comment out that line I realised my baby addon wouldn't have made a difference anyway rofl.

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-02-10 at 06:31 PM.

03-02-10, 06:27 PM   #148
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I did another test at the same time on my rogue after doing the keybind change.

Standard Key 1 = Dagger Attack
Stealth Key 1 = Pick Pocket

I stealthed up to a defias bandit - after all she is only level 6 rofl - and attempted to steal his goodies. He attacked me and bought me out of stealth. I immediately used my 1 key and it attacked without any moaning about not being in stealth mode.

I'll reserve my other 3 other bugged characters for the nUI testing which hopefully won't resort to resetting the keybindings for those that have alot of different ones.

Characters:

03-02-10, 06:43 PM   #149
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Okay, copied nUI over to my nice newly installed WoW folder and logged in my keybinding bugged warlock with the new change mentioned. The main action bar showed all keybinds. But then I never had the display problem before so I will withhold judgement a while long on whether it resolved it. I still have 1 or 2 more characters I can test the theory out on.

Now, what I did this time was to use the nUI keybinding ability to keybind one of my buttons to CtrlF and then when I okayed it the first window popped up. I clicked cancel and the cF keybind was still showing on the button. I then looked at the keybinds screen and as you see from the second screenshot the keybind is active.

Now to see what happens when I log out and log in. Bear in mind I am using Scott's possible fix to do this test.

Edit 1 : Okay, logged out to character screen and back and keybind worked. Logged out to desktop and back and keybind worked.

Now to try it all with my next bugged character ( without nUI ) and see if it is still buggy ( with nUI ) without the fix Scott posted and see what happens.

Edit 2 : Okay uncommented aforementioned line and logged into character that had the bug without nUI installed. All main bar keybinds displayed. Used nUI to keybind a non main action bar like with the warlock but no question appeared as it did with the warlock. Keybind worked immediately. Logged out to character selection screen and back and keybind still working. Still without the change.

I think others will need to test this as I only get the problem without nUI and resetting defaults seem to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030310_003448.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	4028  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030310_003617.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	4029  

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-02-10 at 06:52 PM.

03-02-10, 07:22 PM   #150
Raynar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
That sounds to me like Blizzard is resetting the key bindings without notifying the addons... nUI responds to all binding change events, so apparently Blizzard is setting the bindings back on the action bars but never announcing it which means nUI can't move them back onto it's own bars.

That's a good catch. I'll see if I can figure out a work-around for it.
This might sound kind of silly, but you know with how when the druids change form, the unit frame changes, have you thought to connect the keybinding code to the unit fame to have it so that when it detects the unit frame has changed, it will change the keybindings as well? because 5.06.08 didn't seem to fix it. I'll let you know If I find a solution if you are ok with that.

Edit 1:

Something I forgot to mention earlier was that all the keybindings seem to load for all the action bars for the different stances and forms and the keybindindings don't "get stuck" until after or during combat. This and some other stuff I read about in the first few reports of the problem gave me the idea to suggest this.

Last edited by Raynar : 03-02-10 at 08:57 PM.

03-02-10, 10:23 PM   #151
Nightmare_Lord
A Cliff Giant

that does nothing for me since I don't have it checked.

I have posted Screenshot of all my toons and you can see in each one that box is not checked and bindings are gone.

Also once again Scott in case you forgot look at Hunter Keybind Problem(Screenshot 5) and Hunter Keybind Working(Screenshot 6), I have made a point to reshow you the bars being in the wrong place.(Once again never had a problem before, but times change and something is messing with it now.)

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
ding ding ding .. we have a winner. I'll be checking to see if unchecking it will resolve the problem then if checking breaks it.

Now, if others can check to see if a similar setup is showing on their bugged characters will help us to determine if it is not just me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Death Knight Keybind Problem.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	4030  Click image for larger version

Name:	Druid Keybind Problem.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	4031  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pally Keybind Problem.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	4032  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warlock Keybind Problem.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	4033  

Name:	Hunter Keybind Problem.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	4034  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter Keybind Working.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	4035  

03-02-10, 10:53 PM   #152
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Lord View Post
that does nothing for me since I don't have it checked.

I have posted Screenshot of all my toons and you can see in each one that box is not checked and bindings are gone.

Also once again Scott in case you forgot look at Hunter Keybind Problem(Screenshot 5) and Hunter Keybind Working(Screenshot 6), I have made a point to reshow you the bars being in the wrong place.(Once again never had a problem before, but times change and something is messing with it now.)
Thanks Nightmare, I was wondering whether it was just me. I have never been able to replicate the problem before and still can't with nUI installed. This was the only time it ever happened to me and thats without nUI running rofl. Once I reset defaults it worked fine, or didn't have it per character. Pure chance by the looks of it if you are the dead opposite and getting the problem.

Characters:

03-03-10, 03:59 AM   #153
Merianna
A Murloc Raider

I had the problem when switching stance on my rogue that the keybindings didn't work and the you came with the update, at start I had problems, but then I tried to use the nui reload function and then it worked.

So try the /nui rl worked for me But need to do it on every log in, quite annoying

Thanks for a great addon. best ever

Last edited by Merianna : 03-03-10 at 05:43 AM.

03-03-10, 04:59 AM   #154
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Nightmare_Lord View Post
.I have made a point to reshow you the bars being in the wrong place.
As I've commented before, the left/right bar thing is just a mapping thing because Blizz changed how they name their bars. But it always maps to the same bar. It is not related to either of the problems.

The core issue here with the key bindings at log in appears even without nUI installed as Xrystal has been demonstrating. The problem is how to detect it and how to fix it. I'm not sure it is possible at this point, but I'm trying.

The issue with key binds breaking during combat is a separate problem which I think it mostly fixed, but apparently not for everyone. So that's still a work in progress.

03-03-10, 11:43 AM   #155
Raynar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hey!!! I THINK I ACTUALLY FIXED IT!!!
Well, I was looking at nUI_ButtonBar.lua and was testing different codes, when I found line 726 with my UI Designer program, and this is what I did.

-- if layout.binding then ClearButtonHandlers( _G[layout.binding .. id] ); end

I added the blue part in front of the green and everything seemed to start working. I hope that's ok with everyone that I did that.

Edit (update) 1:
Yep, I can log in and out, switch characters, and shapeshift, enter combat, and the keybindings don't get stuck, and It seems to work great and has absolutely no problems that I can see.
Combat: Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030310_125915.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	4038 And No Stick: Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_030310_125937.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	4039

Last edited by Raynar : 03-03-10 at 12:25 PM.

03-03-10, 12:02 PM   #156
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Okay Scott, apart from the ClearButtonHandlers function what is that line supposed to do.

And Raynar, there's no problem doing that if you know what you're doing How do you think I figure some of the problems out

Edit: Hmm, looking at that function, all it seems to do is unregister events and clearing functions. Is there a reason that needs to be done Scott ?

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-03-10 at 12:04 PM.

03-03-10, 01:20 PM   #157
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Raynar View Post
Hey!!! I THINK I ACTUALLY FIXED IT!!!
Well, I was looking at nUI_ButtonBar.lua and was testing different codes, when I found line 726 with my UI Designer program, and this is what I did.

-- if layout.binding then ClearButtonHandlers( _G[layout.binding .. id] ); end
That line only exists in the latest version of nUI. It's not in the previous version.

03-03-10, 02:16 PM   #158
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
That line only exists in the latest version of nUI. It's not in the previous version.
D'oh, darn it, blast it.... one of these days ... *sigh*.

How long have people had this problem happening. Seeing as I myself have only seen it happen yesterday without nUI I can't answer that question myself

I took a look at the ActionButtonBar_Update function and the version around now is the same as the one in version 2.0.0 so unless people have had the problem since Burning Crusade which I doubt Blizz must have made a change some other file I can't relate to the problem as yet.

Characters:

03-03-10, 02:35 PM   #159
Raynar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Then how come editing it fixed the problem??...?

03-03-10, 03:09 PM   #160
Nightmare_Lord
A Cliff Giant

yeah I believe you Scott, but maybe them renaming them lead to this problem somehow starting? doesn't matter much as long as somehow we can figure out what is doing it

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
As I've commented before, the left/right bar thing is just a mapping thing because Blizz changed how they name their bars. But it always maps to the same bar. It is not related to either of the problems.

The core issue here with the key bindings at log in appears even without nUI installed as Xrystal has been demonstrating. The problem is how to detect it and how to fix it. I'm not sure it is possible at this point, but I'm trying.

The issue with key binds breaking during combat is a separate problem which I think it mostly fixed, but apparently not for everyone. So that's still a work in progress.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Keybinds wiping out