05-31-09, 12:34 PM   #1
Emula
A Defias Bandit
windows 7 and strangest things

so i read about the several posts before about windows 7 and x64 usage
i updated my java to be able to read x64 and actually post the correct values on the installer
but the architecture detected is just wrong

posted on the img above the architecture detection shows amd 64

i am working on an Intel Core I7 CPU with a custom build pc( yes i did that myself)
now i dont know if this is done by java or the installer itself
but it'll have to be fixed sometime

currently i am still working on Windows 7 build 7077

Edit: if there is any way i can contribute by adding data about the core i7 lemme know
05-31-09, 12:47 PM   #2
dropper
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
History lesson: Intel came out with a 64 bit processor, known as the Itanium, to eventually replace the Pentium (x86) instructions set, but that didn't work out. AMD figured that it would be best to extend the x86 set with 64 bit instructions, hence, the x64, or AMD64.

Since AMD and Intel have a cross licensing agreement, Intel uses the AMD x64 instruction set in their x86 processors and now call it by their own name (Intel 64 now), but it's still AMD's tech.

Keith
05-31-09, 05:09 PM   #3
oXid_FoX
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
even if it's the same tech, Intel uses its own name Intel 64... especially for Core I7 !
05-31-09, 06:05 PM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
The architecture is correct. AMD64 is the correct name of the architecture, despite the fact that Intel will do everything they can to avoid that name (for obvious reasons). AMD came out with the instruction set (well, the 64-bit part of it). Just like the 32-bit AMD processors used the IA32 instruction set (Intel Architecture 32-bit), the Intel 64 bit processors use the AMD64 instruction set (which has IA32 compatibility).

IA64 is for Itaniums only, and is NOT compatible with IA32. The Itanium is a server-centric processor.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-01-09, 02:37 PM   #5
Emula
A Defias Bandit
i am aware of the Itanium server architectures i read about the things on news websites

but still it shouldn't say amd64 architecture when i am running some of the latest intel options

despite the fact amd brought up the source for 64 bit interfacing in general

what i am wondering more is how to change this so the architecture is posted as IA64 instead of AMD64

hence this being near impossible to do with software
06-01-09, 10:00 PM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Your architecture is NOT IA64. If it were to say this, it would be wrong. IA64 is a completely different, incompatible instruction set.

In any case, if you have a problem with it saying "amd64," then take it up with Sun/Oracle. I simply pull the name from the JVM as it is supplied to me and spit it back out.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-02-09, 02:14 AM   #7
Tereon
A Murloc Raider

but still it shouldn't say amd64 architecture when i am running some of the latest intel options
The Core i7 doesn't have any "extra" instructions. It uses x86, x86-64 (the "neutral" name for AMD64 or EM64T/Intel 64) and SSE up to version 4.2, which is exactly the same instruction set as the AMD K10 and Intel Core series use.

I recommend reading the Wikipedia Article on x86-64 to clear this mess up
But in the end, AMD64, EM64T / Intel 64 and x86-64 refer to the same instruction set.
06-02-09, 03:40 AM   #8
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

So, what I see going on as the bottom line in all of this is that regardless of the processor name Minion is correctly/incorrectly displaying, Minion is functioning properly, and there is no hardware/software conflict taking place in the base functionality of the software?

06-03-09, 10:53 AM   #9
syrupk
A Cliff Giant

It's displaying the correct type, maybe just not to you. I have an intel processor and even when installing windows drivers for a reinstall, you still have to choose AMD 64. When you choose patches for theming your OS, they also say AMD 64. I would be extremely shocked to see it EVER say Intel. It gets the AMD name because the instruction set is AMD.

Last edited by syrupk : 06-03-09 at 10:57 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » windows 7 and strangest things