Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07-05-12, 09:31 PM   #1
Gregity
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Discussion on Scroll box methods

Howdy all, I'm hoping for a bit of discussion on the pros and cons of the scroll box methods.

I'm working on my re-write of the QuestGuru functionality and I'm stuck going in a circle about which method to use for the tracker component. The tracker component is backed by a table which contains all manner of info about the quests which the player has. My problem is what to use to display that junk, erm, rich information.

There are three (probably more to the sufficiently imaginative) methods to do the scroll box:
Regular ScrollFrame
FauxScrollFrame
Draw-it-all-yourself

The Faux Scroll Frame works great if the repeating contents are all the same size, row to row. Simply create x display holders and re-fill them with the contents from the offset for the number of holders.

The Regular Scroll Frame requires that I draw the whole mess into a buffer and it re-draws at scroll or when you re-load the buffer. Downside is that you re-draw it all each refresh and if you have a small window relative to your data size, lots of wasted cycles and object allocation.

Draw-it-all-yourself is infinately flexible, but also quite demanding.

Since the Blizzard Quest Log is (currently) limited to 25 quests, the Regular Scroll Frame may not be such a waste for me. My presentation per "row" is highly variable depending upon number of objectives, POI Icons, Use-for-Quest icons, and settings for expand and contract available for zones & quests so I don't think Faux will fit. Draw-it-all-yourself may be a bit out of my league, but I think it would be enlightening (no mention of fun there...).

So, Can I use Faux Scroll Frame for irregular sized holders (one might take 1 row and another might take 10)?

Is the Regular Scroll Frame very wasteful of resource?

Anybody do the Draw-it-all-yourself option?

How do you handle expand the frame up from the bottom to a maximum number of "rows" when the number of rows and the size of the rows is so highly variable?

Looking for wisdom from the masters,
-grasshopper

Last edited by Gregity : 07-05-12 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Never find the typos until after the post is submitted. sigh.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Discussion on Scroll box methods