10-26-09, 06:03 PM   #1
AJSTITAN14
A Murloc Raider
Function returns from GetSpellInfo, GetItemInfo UnitAura etc...

These are functions that return quite a few variables. Do I need to create variables for each value the function can return? If not how do I specify which piece of data I want from the function? Can I do it by referring to the specific returns I want to look at?

For instance:

icon, caster = GetSpellInfo(6774);
10-26-09, 08:47 PM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
All of the return values are returned, and the naming of the variables which collect them has no influence upon which are retrieved. If you call a function which has four return values and are only interested in the second and fourth, you would do this:

Code:
local _, thing_name, _, thing_desc = MakeBelieveFunction()
From this, thing_name would be the second return value, and thing_desc would be the fourth. Using the underscore is simply a common usage for a "throwaway" variable. It could just have easily been named "throwaway".

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-26-09, 11:25 PM   #3
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
i'd just add that ignoring return values doesn't hurt you in any way. that is, if a function has 5 returns and you only need the 1st and 3rd, you could do:

local valueA, _, valueB = functionCall()
10-27-09, 12:36 AM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
i'd just add that ignoring return values doesn't hurt you in any way. that is, if a function has 5 returns and you only need the 1st and 3rd, you could do:

local valueA, _, valueB = functionCall()
Actually it does hurt you slightly. The opcodes generated in this case requires a little additional work -- that is, the work of popping 2 values off the stack to ensure 3 returns. Of course, this is a minuscule difference and is probably not even testable.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
10-27-09, 12:49 AM   #5
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

If you want just one value you can use this:
lua Code:
  1. select(3, GetSpellInfo(6774))

If you want for example the fifth returned value from GetSpellInfo change 3 with 5.
10-27-09, 01:21 AM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You never want to use select() if you will be retrieving the single value multiple times - it incurs unnecessary overhead due to the function call, plus select() itself isn't very efficient.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-27-09, 06:59 AM   #7
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Select loops through the given parameter with an iterator until it has arrived at the nth parameter given to select.
10-27-09, 09:23 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
select() also doesn't just return that one value. It returns that one plus all after.

Code:
local var3, var4, var5 = select(3, functionwith5values())
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Function returns from GetSpellInfo, GetItemInfo UnitAura etc...