01-16-15, 03:13 PM   #1
Kaitain1977
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Detect if addon is loaded

I'm trying to get a line of script (to change a profile) to run only if a certain addon is loaded, and if it isn;t then totally ignore it. I thought it was done like this:

Code:
if Grid then Grid.db:SetProfile("nameOfProfile") end
but this throws up an error if Grid isn't loaded. Am I doing it wrong? Or have I misunderstood the whole concept possibly..
01-16-15, 03:28 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I believe using the function IsAddOnLoaded(name) will return true if it and false if it isn't. The true / false may be 0 / -1 or other way round though.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
01-16-15, 03:48 PM   #3
Kaitain1977
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I believe using the function IsAddOnLoaded(name) will return true if it and false if it isn't. The true / false may be 0 / -1 or other way round though.
ok thanks I'll try that out
01-16-15, 04:13 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Kaitain1977 View Post
Code:
if Grid then Grid.db:SetProfile("nameOfProfile") end
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I believe using the function IsAddOnLoaded(name) will return true if it and false if it isn't.
Both of those will have the same problem -- Grid.db is not defined immediately when Grid is defined. If you need to do stuff with AceDB profiles in non-LoD addons, you should wait for the PLAYER_LOGIN event.

If you need to do stuff with profiles in LoD addons (note Grid is not LoD) you may have to wait for the addon's ADDON_LOADED event and then hook whichever of its methods creates the db.
01-16-15, 08:53 PM   #5
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Yeah, different addons behave in different ways. If you plan on relying on / detecting another addons abilties/functions you need to figure out how that addon works, when things are initialized, etc. I wish there were clear rules about these things but each addon takes their own view (including my own). What really is horrible is when you work out how something happens, implement your addon to make use of this, and then the addon author of the other addon goes and changes things. :-(
01-16-15, 08:56 PM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you set an addon as an optional dependency in your toc file it will be loaded before yours if it's enabled.
01-16-15, 10:41 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
But this still doesn't solve the OP's problem. Yes, it would ensure that the Grid table would exist, but the db key in that table might not still.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-17-15, 05:50 AM   #8
Kaitain1977
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ok thanks guys. I think I understand the issues with this now :-) The code I'm using is to be triggered from a /slash command so all the addons should be fully loaded. Perhaps I should have said enabled instead of loaded. What I wanted to script to cover for was people who had switched some of the addons off before they used the slash command to load the profiles. In my installation instructions I say to have ALL the addons loaded, so it's really just to help people who can't read instructions :-)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Detect if addon is loaded