10-05-10, 05:40 PM   #1
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy Lua Error Help

Hi I have been receiving this error. I tried using wow repair but on 11/19 it halted and came up with a message saying "please reinstall wow". I deleted my wow folder, reinstalled, and everything was exactly the same. The error appears right when I enter the world:

Message: Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2802: bad argument #1 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
Time: 10/05/10 17:39:07
Count: 1
Stack: [C]: in function `format'
Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2802: in function `ChatFrame_MessageEventHandler'
Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2491: in function `ChatFrame_OnEvent'
[string "*:OnEvent"]:1: in function <[string "*:OnEvent"]:1>

Locals: (*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 5
(*temporary) = "5. LookingForGroup"
(*temporary) = "string expected, got nil"

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
BlacKTaloN
10-05-10, 06:16 PM   #2
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Is this occurring on the live servers?

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-05-10, 08:31 PM   #3
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Yes I am not a cheap skate lol. Not trying to be rude but why would that matter anyway, its the same game.?
10-05-10, 08:44 PM   #4
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Just curious if it was live, the PTR or the beta.

I remember seeing that error pop up a while ago. I know you said you re-installed, but the cache and WTF data could have been retained in the Virtual Store if you run Windows Vista or 7. Did you clear those as well?

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-05-10, 08:48 PM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Maul was probably referring to the Beta if not Live... :P

edit - A little late on that response
10-05-10, 08:50 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by BlacKTaloN View Post
Not trying to be rude but why would that matter anyway, its the same game.?
Actually, private servers usually run a different version of the game. They are also against the EULA/TOS and as such are not up for discussion or able to receive support here.

And yes, seeing as how there is Live, the PTR, and Beta up right now, it's a valid question just to rule out some possibilities.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-05-10, 09:06 PM   #7
Dainton
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So it's a fresh install and you're not using any addons? Does this happen on all of your characters? What if you create a new character?
10-05-10, 09:52 PM   #8
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Sorry for the miscommunication i thought u were accusing me of playing private server. Also, i am using windows 7 64bit if that helps. If i create a new character and enter the world it still shows the error. I used wow repair to reset cache data, configurations, and third party custom interfaces. How do i reset WTF?

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Last edited by BlacKTaloN : 10-05-10 at 10:09 PM.
10-05-10, 10:08 PM   #9
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Okay um I just installed Spartan UI, and Titan Panel, and now i get 11 errors instead of just one. In addition I would like to note that i think these problems originally started around when I installed Tuk UI manually to test it out?
10-05-10, 11:58 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, SpartanUI hasn't been updated in some time. That may be the cause of some of those errors. Try disabling it and have only Titan Panel enabled. Do you get any errors then?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-06-10, 09:32 AM   #11
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
I can try that but I had SpartanUI, Titan Panel, and a few others on before and no errors, I think these errors are all linked to the first one because that appears when I have no addons.
10-06-10, 10:02 AM   #12
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

The error you are getting indicates one of two things -

1) A Blizzard global value is being removed or just not existing.

2) An addon is changing an event argument (which it should not). If it is this the issue actually should go away with WoW 4.0 since event arguments will no longer be global and an addon cannot inadvertently change that event argument. The way it is now, an addon could conceivably cause this issue IF it neglects to declare it's arguments local to the addon. If you want more tech details I can expand on this.

As for the first one, an addon can do that as well but it is more unlikely unless it was purposeful. The first issue *could* be caused by corrupt Blizzard data, either in the core files or perhaps in a cache file. If you do a reinstall fresh and log in with zero addons enabled and get the error, try scanning your hard drive for any possible corruption of the disk itself. I think this is more likely the case.

10-06-10, 11:30 AM   #13
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Thank you. Another site said it could be corruption, because the wowrepair doesn't seem to work, however doing a fresh install didn't fix this. What should i use to to scan my hard drive for corruption?
10-06-10, 11:44 AM   #14
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Using chkdsk is the easiest way as it is a part of Windows. There are some advanced software utilities that you usually buy that include disk error checking. I found the following on using chkdsk on Windows 7 -

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

10-07-10, 08:20 AM   #15
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Yes I ran checkdisk and it said my hard disk was fine =( So would option number 1 be a possible cause even though I reinstalled?
10-07-10, 09:44 AM   #16
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Like I said before, I remember seeing this issue described before however I never saw a definitive explanation or cause. However, with 4.0 there are some changes on Blizzard's end occurring that should correct this problem whatever the cause is save file corruption. It looks highly likely that the 4.0 pre-Cataclysm event patch 4.0.1 will be deployed this Tuesday.

If you have this problem after that patch, then there is something very curious going on. In regards to possible cause #1, it is possible that in some rare situations that the Blizzard addon code itself is causing the issue by changing a value inadvertently and causing the nil error. Again, even if this is the case, 4.0 should take care of it.

So at this point I would say turn off Display Lua Errors in the help section of the Blizzard interface options and suffer with the error until patch 4.0 hits the live servers and then see what happens.

10-07-10, 02:26 PM   #17
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
I think I saw a post that this error was caused by a self defined filter in the combat log ... but not sure
10-07-10, 02:46 PM   #18
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Chatframe.lua

Code:
Line 2491   
	elseif ( newarg1 ) then
Full Code Block
l
Code:
ocal filter = false;
		if ( chatFilters[event] ) then
			local newarg1, newarg2, newarg3, newarg4, newarg5, newarg6, newarg7, newarg8, newarg9, newarg10, newarg11, newarg12;
			for _, filterFunc in next, chatFilters[event] do
				filter, newarg1, newarg2, newarg3, newarg4, newarg5, newarg6, newarg7, newarg8, newarg9, newarg10, newarg11, newarg12 = filterFunc(self, event, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6, arg7, arg8, arg9, arg10, arg11, arg12);
				if ( filter ) then
					return true;
				elseif ( newarg1 ) then
					arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6, arg7, arg8, arg9, arg10, arg11, arg12 = newarg1, newarg2, newarg3, newarg4, newarg5, newarg6, newarg7, newarg8, newarg9, newarg10, newarg11, newarg12;
				end
			end
		end

Code:
Line 2802

end
Full Code Block

Code:
--Controls scrolling for chatframe and combat log
function MessageFrameScrollButton_OnUpdate(self, elapsed)
	if (self:GetButtonState() == "PUSHED") then
		self.clickDelay = self.clickDelay - elapsed;
		if ( self.clickDelay < 0 ) then
			local name = self:GetName();
			if ( name == self:GetParent():GetName().."DownButton" ) then
				self:GetParent():ScrollDown();
			elseif ( name == self:GetParent():GetName().."UpButton" ) then
				self:GetParent():ScrollUp();
			end
			self.clickDelay = MESSAGE_SCROLLBUTTON_SCROLL_DELAY;
		end
	end
end

Very weird error's that don't seem to match up with the lua. Unless I have a new or old copy of chatframe.lua 0_o
10-07-10, 04:35 PM   #19
BlacKTaloN
A Murloc Raider
Okey dokey thank you all for the help

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Lua Error Help