10-17-08, 07:57 AM   #1
Smahs
A Murloc Raider
Disable Caps Lock - Simple Addon

Caps lock has lots of usage in-game, you can keybind it, but it gets annoying..

This addon would make it where you can ONLY ENABLE CAPS LOCK WHEN THE CHAT BOX IS OPEN making it so you can use caps lock for a spell, and still use it in chat.

-Smahs
10-17-08, 09:39 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a great idea. But unfortunately it isn't simple at all. It's imho impossible to create a mod like this.
10-17-08, 06:19 PM   #3
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't think it's possible in-game. How would you know whether someone had hit caps lock or was holding shift?

Hmm. Actually, maybe it would be simple -- if you just checked for shift, and downcased any letters seen when shift wasn't held, maybe? Still, I'm not sure you can hook into input that early, because Blizzard is not very big on letting addons change keys. (If you could change keystrokes generically, you could bind a and A to different spells and write an addon which chooses spells. FORBIDDEN!)

Get a Mac. "Caps lock is control" is a standard option.
10-17-08, 08:42 PM   #4
Smahs
A Murloc Raider
Getting a mac is not a option!

After reading your comments it does seem hard. I don't even know why PC's have capslock..
10-17-08, 09:20 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Fact of the matter is that this is something that can't be done from WoW -- thus it can't be done as an addon.

It would be very possible to completely disable the caps lock key through a third-party executable, however tying it in so that it can be used as a cast modifier would be much more complicated (and technically against the TOS), unfortunately.

However: Making it so that chat is auto un-capsed if it detects that caps lock appears to be on should be fairly simple.

fOR EXAMPLE IF IT SEES CHAT LIKE THIS, i SHOULD BE ABLE TO WRITE AN ADDON TO CONVERT IT TO
For example if it sees chat like this, I should be able to write an addon to convert it to

^ this before sending it in whatever chat system desired.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Disable Caps Lock - Simple Addon