04-13-09, 06:37 PM   #1
B0ZKURT
A Defias Bandit
Wow Matrix

I apologize in advance if I'm stepping out of line when i post this, as it has been fairly well dissected in this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...t=18358&page=4. However i just have a few questions and comments i would like the contributes and anyone else for that matter to answer.

Let me start by saying, after reading the thread, i do understand that Wowmatrix (WM) from now on, is doing something unethical and "bad".

So the questions and comments i pose are as follows:

YES!! WM does not "re-distribute" because they do not host it. But they do steal the hosting sites bandwidth and do not provide them with revenue generated by whatever means that site chooses to generate said revenue. But by that definition so does any ad-blocker program....regardless of whether or not you download something from said website, as just browsing costs said site bandwidth.

My question is this...please clarify if I'm mistaken, but i have come across quite a few "compilations" some even on this site, that simply put together a few addons and post them as their own "work" on many sites. Given that they list the addons (which i don't really see author credit beyond, something to the effect of these addons were not my work but their respective authors). NOW...isn't this "re-distribution" in its very concise definition, as it is did they ASK you, the author prior to compilation if they can use it?? And as far as i can tell they are clearly distributing your work without consent, or proper acknowledgment. If not why not remove (scold, etc.) them as well?? As at the very least WM gives you credit, and looking at the latest version even has a link to donate to you directly.

Please clarify, and thank you in advance.

P.S. I hope i do not cause any more grievance to any authors.

04-13-09, 06:45 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Compilations on this site are required to appropriately attribute work to all of the authors via an addon list. Compilations which do not satisfy this requirement are not approved.

As far as WoWMatrix, please use this thread for discussion. We don't need this forum to become flooded with 500 threads on this topic.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Wow Matrix