11-19-10, 11:44 AM   #1
TriviallyTravis
UI Mockup -- Designer Wanted

Hey everybody! I play a Warlock, and I need a lot of information on my screen in order to play effectively. Unfortunately, functional design has been my bane since the day I was born =P My UI always looks cluttered and crowded, with a million disorganized things going on at once.

So I ask, would anybody be interested in mocking up a UI for me? Here are my preferences/requirements. Really, the only thing I'm set on, position-wise are the player and target frames. I just can't get used to them being anywhere else.
  • Player frame in the upper-left corner
  • Target frame to the right of that
  • Focus frame to the right of that
  • DoTimers probably below the target frame
  • I usually just prefer grid-style raid frames for all party sizes
  • My Buffs
  • My cooldowns
  • Action bars (I play a warlock, so probably 4x12? =P)
  • Cast bar where it normally is
  • Minimap
  • I usually have 2 short chat windows, one for general/trade/etc and one for
  • Guild/Whispers/etc
  • Omen
  • Recount

And here is a list of addons I already kinda have in mind or am attempting to use
  • Pitbull -- I have a pretty decent setup already for Player, pet, Target, target's target, focus.
  • Bartender is what I'm use to for setting up action bars
  • DoTimer
  • Quartz
  • Omen
  • Recount

I'm not trying to be lazy, I just have tried messing with this stuff a hundred times and I'm frustrated with it always coming out looking like hell. If anybody likes to do this sort of thing, and is willing to help, I'd be very grateful =) I'm open to all suggestions!
11-19-10, 12:27 PM   #2
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Not sure if you have looked in the Compilations & Suites section but you might find something there that might satisfy your ui needs. there are a lot of uis in there and as long as you follow the install instructions on them you should be good. I apologize if you have checked there already for a ui but figured I'd throw out that little bit of advice.

- Winston Churchill
11-19-10, 12:59 PM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I can recommend Tukui at tukui.org if you want a good premade UI. You can download an additional ingame config if you like, though I recommend using the lua options.
11-19-10, 01:09 PM   #4
TriviallyTravis
Yeah I may look into one of those compilations... I looked at Tukui, but I really don't like the "all in" nature of it. I'd rather be able to start with something like this and then move things around someplace that suits me better....

Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll post a screenshot later and get suggestions (that seems like a better way to do it anyway =P)
11-19-10, 08:00 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
  • Player frame in the upper-left corner
  • Target frame to the right of that
  • Focus frame to the right of that

You might look into oUF. There are tons of premade layouts, and you just download them as separate addons, so you don't have to fuss with importing/exporting. The downside is that most of them don't have any in-game configuration, so you have to either (a) find one you like as-is, or (b) learn how to make changes in Lua code.

You can also install oUF_MovableFrames to make the frames all movable no matter which layout you use.
11-22-10, 07:57 AM   #6
TriviallyTravis
Cool, I'll look into ouF.

I took a stab at it over the weekend. I actually am not real tight on room at the moment. I think changing from a 1440x900 screen to a 1920x1080 screen has helped a lot. I actually kinda have a HOLE in my UI now with nothing to fill it with =P I think that OPie helps a lot too. I really like the potential that that addon has for stuff like summoning demons, and using curses and what not.

I'll post a screenshot when I get a chance.
11-22-10, 08:24 AM   #7
Lyelu
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're having trouble with clutter, you might try Skada, which will report Threat during combat (as Omen does) and will report DPS after combat (as Recount does. I don't think it has very detailed reporting window like Recount, but since I just read WorldofLogs after boss fights, that wouldn't bother me personally.

I also use Fortexorcist, instead of using both a DoTimer and a Cooldown watcher. Has a neato little bar that shows me Swiftmend cooldown etc.

Pitbull and Quartz type functions could be combined into one oUF layout. You wouldn't have every feature... but it would be simpler. oUF Nivaya has an in-game configuration, and probably a few more do as well. Other oUF layouts can be positioned by adding oUF Movable Frames.

For minimap, I wrote one, if you like to look at it:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ooMinimap.html
You can move it around, take buttons off, etc. You use your mousewheel to zoom it instead, things like that. Many people like to add MinimapButtonFrame to put all the addon buttons into one box.
11-22-10, 09:19 AM   #8
TriviallyTravis
Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

Right now I've got my Player frame in the upper-left, my target frame to the right of that, and my focus frame to the right of that. I think I'm going to try to set up DoTimer to sit below the appropriate frames.

For Quartz, I set it up above my action bars that are centered in the bottom of the screen. Quartz is relatively simple for me since I just use it for casting and latency (and the GCD). I put Fortexorcist right below my casting bar, and I'm only using it for cooldowns. I really like the way that works, though I don't know if it'll be useful having it in a different place than my DoTimers, since DPS rotations involve looking at both at once. May have to play around with that a bit.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » UI Mockup -- Designer Wanted