05-04-11, 02:59 AM   #1
Laucian
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thumbs up Interested

So I'm looking to make my own mod from other authors mods. First I'd like to ask if I do that, do I ask their permission first or just have to make note of them in the description of the mods? Secondly, I know creating a mod like nUI is tons of coding and a coder I am not, though I wish to learn. Is there also anyone around that's willing to take someone under their wing and show them the ways of the craft? xD I'm getting bored of WoW so I'm hoping that this will rekindle the romance we once shared. xD
05-04-11, 11:03 AM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Depending on what addon it is and where you get it from, will dictate if you can use the code. It is always a good idea anyway to give credit to the person who wrote the code. I will use my addons for a example. My addons do not have a license with them, but here at wow interface all uploaded addons are considered all rights reserved, unless otherwise stated in the addon's description and or the license file that would accompany the addon.

nUI is basically 1 large addon that modifies all of the User interface. You also have UI compilations which are multiple addons arranged and put into a pack for people to download. Each of the addon in the pack unless it is a license that the author allows you to freely use the addon, you should get permission.

As far as learning, I would suggest taking a addon that you use that isn't a monster and looking at the code and how things work, there are also several websites and books you can buy. I personally have both versions of http://wowprogramming.com/store you can also find some other books there.

When you do decide to take the leap and understand a addon make sure its something simple, don't go trying to understand a addon like auctioneer.
05-04-11, 12:33 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Nobgul View Post
My addons do not have a license with them, but here at wow interface all uploaded addons are considered all rights reserved, unless otherwise stated in the addon's description and or the license file that would accompany the addon.
It's not just that we consider that to be the case on this site. It's fact. Your addons are All Rights Reserved unless you include a license stating differently. This is true whether you upload them here, on DropBox, etc.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-05-11, 12:55 AM   #4
Laucian
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
It's not just that we consider that to be the case on this site. It's fact. Your addons are All Rights Reserved unless you include a license stating differently. This is true whether you upload them here, on DropBox, etc.
See? No such thing as a stupid question! Really glad I asked. Lol. I'm not really sure I have the time to dedicate to coding working two jobs and all, so I think I'll just get a ton of addons and configure them out I like and call it good. Lol.
05-05-11, 05:35 AM   #5
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you do ever got the time for it and want to give it a go,
you could use this thread and/or this tutorial
05-12-11, 04:04 AM   #6
Laucian
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thank you all for the info and resources. Appreciate it greatly!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Interested