01-13-09, 07:51 PM   #1
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Broker vs. Fubar performance?

From people who've used both, which have you noticed gives overall best performance. Let's say with 10 plugins (I use more but for simplicity sake...)

01-13-09, 08:50 PM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

get broker there is a fubar plugin so u can use them with Fubar or imho get Titan.

01-13-09, 09:44 PM   #3
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I have used all 3 .. Titan, Fubar and now Broker.

I switched completely to broker. I wouldn't say there is any real performance increase or decrease.. the addons all do the same relative thing, no matter what bar addon they where written on .. so I can not see how there would be any noticeable performance changes.

I switched to Broker mainly because it's the newer or the "bar" type addons. It was also being updated when Fubar was not at the time. More people are switching there addons to use it now. Simply put Broker is the next big thing. Everyone is doing it.

Also I like the ability for more flexibility over Fubar. I use fortress to display my broker addons. I like the ability to have each addon in it's own little "mini bar"

And as tinyu said you can get a small addon to make Fubar addons work on Broker. Be warned there are a few Fubar addons that won't work with the Broker system.

01-13-09, 10:29 PM   #4
tinyu
A Molten Giant

or you can use Titan witch works perfectly with broker AddOns.

01-14-09, 12:57 AM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I have also used all three, but have converted over to Broker. I love the modular approach to LDB's displays and plugins. No performance change noted, but really, bar mods don't use hardly any resources -- it's their plugins. I used Fortress but am using DockingStation and loving it. Almost like FuBar but neater.

01-14-09, 03:29 AM   #6
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I haven't noticed any change in performance between FuBar or Broker, but I prefer Broker because it doesn't use LibRock.

01-14-09, 03:36 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I have been using info displays for a long time, having started with the OLD Titan (back when TitanMod was the author), then I changed to FuBar (when it was BossPanel) then now Broker.

Why the changes? Simple, flexibility. Each mod was more flexible than the previous. Plus each newer info display has a wider range of plug-ins to customize my display.

With Broker, I love the idea that I can use any Display (including the new versions of Titan) to display just about any plug-in I want (except a few cranky FuBar plug-ins however even then; the one I did not dump, BabelFu, I just made a couple of ToC changes so it likes Broker).

While the old Titan was a bit of a pig when it came to resources (thus the change to BossPanel/FuBar was a help in the performance dept.), I have not noticed much in the way of any performance increase when it comes to FuBar vs. Broker. My UI is averaging about 20-22 MB in RAM usage (with Blizzard mods included, subtract 5 MB if I turn off Carbonite), it was similar when I using FuBar, no changes in FPS or other client side lag issues either.

So in to sum up, no performance changes, just lots of flexibility.

Last edited by Zyonin : 01-14-09 at 03:40 AM.

01-14-09, 05:02 AM   #8
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
As in any other addon, Broker plugins are as good as their underlying code, performance wise. And can we please get over the "my UI uses only X megs of memory, therefore it's light/heavy" argument. It carries no weight whatsoever and it's totally misleading. Addon memory usage on systems with 2+ gigs of RAM is moot, the only exception being addons with memory leak issues. CPU usage is what can really affect performance and in that department almost every Broker display I've seen and tested is fine.

Last edited by Tristanian : 01-14-09 at 09:08 AM.

01-15-09, 01:46 AM   #9
tinyu
A Molten Giant

there's still people out there with < 2 gigs of RAM????

01-15-09, 02:59 AM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

How do you quantify the performance of a single display addon that supports only plugins using its own API versus the performance of a conceptual system that can be realized by any one (or more) of over a dozen display addons? This thread doesn't make any sense.

01-15-09, 09:08 PM   #11
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
How do you quantify the performance of a single display addon that supports only plugins using its own API versus the performance of a conceptual system that can be realized by any one (or more) of over a dozen display addons? This thread doesn't make any sense.
Easy. I like cutting down my performance as much as possible right now as my vid card is slowly dying and I can't afford a new one yet. So the least amount of load on it at this point is kinda important to me.

Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
get broker there is a fubar plugin so u can use them with Fubar or imho get Titan.
I still don't like Titan. That hasn't changed over my break mate.

01-15-09, 10:45 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't addon performance deal with CPU/RAM, etc, and not video cards?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-16-09, 12:39 AM   #13
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't addon performance deal with CPU/RAM, etc, and not video cards?
Refresh rates.

01-16-09, 06:06 AM   #14
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Easy. I like cutting down my performance as much as possible right now as my vid card is slowly dying and I can't afford a new one yet. So the least amount of load on it at this point is kinda important to me.
My point was that you can't quantify the "performance" of "FuBar" versus "Broker" because they are not the same thing. There is no single "Broker" addon as there is one single "FuBar" addon. Not all plugins written using the FuBarPlugin API have direct equivalents written using the LibDataBroker API. The feature-sets and resource usage of the various LibDataBroker-compatible displays vary wildly. If you use a very minimal display addon with just three minimal plugins, of course that set will use fewer system resources than if you use FuBar and 72 plugins. This entire thread makes no sense. "Broker" is not any one thing you can quantify. Hell, "FuBar" isn't even really any one thing you can quantify, due to its plugin nature.

Also, addons, unless they are adding complex animated graphics to your screen, have almost no effect at all on your video card's performance. The biggest impact on your system's performance occurs in the CPU arena -- addons which do a lot of processing, such as a damage meter, a chat frame mod, or a set of raid unit frames, will have a much bigger impact than addons which do little or no processing, like an addon that reskins the loot frame or an addon that colors names on your friends list. Memory usage is only a concern when addons use too much too quickly; again, damage meters fall under this category, as they collect large amounts of data quickly. Neither FuBar nor any LibDataBroker-based display should have such a large impact on your framerate. If you're having performance issues, try disabling more performance intensive addons first, and lowering your in-game sound and video settings.

The topic of this thread still doesn't make sense, though.

Last edited by Phanx : 01-16-09 at 07:16 PM.

01-16-09, 04:34 PM   #15
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I'm sorry Phanx but you have COMPLETELY lost me.

LDB Displays and Fubar are essentially the same thing .. . just a different way to display these info addons.

Fubar is a Bar. You install addons that display info on that bar

LDB Displays (aka Fortress) is also a Bar (and in some cases other display styles). It also displays info based on what plugins you installed to use with it.

Almost every addon I have seen for Fubar has been released as a LDB plugin.
There is even a Fubar2Broker addon for those few plugins to have yet been converted.

His question was which has a lesser impact on framerates and performance ... Fubar or a Broker display addon using the exact same plugins.

Chances are though neither will have ANY impact at all (unless you install like 100+ plugins )

01-16-09, 05:40 PM   #16
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Which was exactly what I was trying to say

At the end of the day, you can simply install display X, Y number of plugins, turn on a CPU profiler, do a number of tests and find out yourself :P

01-16-09, 06:48 PM   #17
Sythalin
Curse staff

This entire thread makes more sense.
The topic of this thread still doesn't make sense, though.
Mmm, hypocrisy at it's best.

01-16-09, 06:59 PM   #18
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So this helps the conversation how?

By all appearances, the information given so far in this thread should help to make a decision, or how to get the best information (via CPU profiler) to make the "best" decision.

01-16-09, 07:23 PM   #19
Phanx
Cat.

Clearly that was a typo. /cast Banish Troll

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I'm sorry Phanx but you have COMPLETELY lost me.

LDB Displays and Fubar are essentially the same thing .. . just a different way to display these info addons.
They are not the same at all. FuBar is a single display addon with its own API that plugins must use. The API and the display are the same thing; if you use FuBar, you have FuBar and some plugins written using the FuBar API. By contrast, it makes no sense to say "I use LibDataBroker" because LibDataBroker is simply a tiny library stub that does nothing on its own. Trying to compare a functional addon like FuBar to an abstract API like LibDataBroker is apples and oranges.

Fubar is a Bar. You install addons that display info on that bar

LDB Displays (aka Fortress) is also a Bar (and in some cases other display styles). It also displays info based on what plugins you installed to use with it.
You could compare the performance of Fortress versus the performance of FuBar, and that would make sense. However, like I've said in a previous post, there are over a dozen LDB displays, some of which are extremely minimalistic and use almost no resources, others of which aim to be more fully featured and will use resources more comparably to FuBar.

01-16-09, 08:19 PM   #20
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Trying to compare a functional addon like FuBar to an abstract API like LibDataBroker is apples and oranges.
On a completely unrelated and random note ... whoever said you can't compare apples and oranges is dumb.

I sure can compare the 2! For example apples are usually red or green while orange are orange. :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Broker vs. Fubar performance?