01-18-13, 09:50 PM   #1
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
Interact with Target

I realize it's a key bind, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to add it to the Target Menu (kind of like the add friend or invite option).
01-19-13, 12:17 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not possible, because InteractUnit is protected and can only be called by Blizzard code, like movement and targeting functions.

Additionally, since there is no slash command (eg. /target) for interaction, you can't even use common workarounds like macros (eg. macrotext click attributes).

Finally, since addons touching dropdown menus is what breaks secure menu actions like setting your focus and dismissing your pet, it would be kind of hard (read: impossible) for an addon to add a secure action that actually worked.
01-19-13, 02:35 AM   #3
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Finally, since addons touching dropdown menus is what breaks secure menu actions ...
It's not addons touching dropdowns (I have several that use them with no problems what-so-ever) but the dropdown system is very definately touchy about what you pass in the "info" structure to UIDropDownMenu_AddButton(info).

So far it only happens to me if any addon uses or OptionalDeps Blizzard_TimeManager.

I've found a quest encouter where a particular spell cast by the target NPC will 100% generate a spurious "addonx has called protected function CompactRaidFrame:Show()" error (and I am heartily sick taking on poor old Windfur).

I've spent all day today chasing this down and have so far whittled down a series 5 options in my realm/character table. Tomorrow I hope to narrow that down to a consistant minimum in the hope of finding out why them + Blizzard_TimeManager and not other combinations + Blizzard_TimeManager.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 01-19-13 at 02:55 AM.
01-19-13, 02:50 AM   #4
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I wouldn't bother driving myself insane: The UIDropDown insanity should finally (after years and years) be put to bed in 5.2.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
01-19-13, 02:56 AM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
I wouldn't bother driving myself insane: The UIDropDown insanity should finally (after years and years) be put to bed in 5.2.
And I thought I was doing good works.

Do you know something I don't?... wouldn't be hard . Does "put to rest" mean "going to effect every addon that currenty uses the Blizz. dropdowns"?

I didn't spend 3 days Downloading 5.2 (stuck with ADSL 1) because I didn't notice any changes that might impact the addons I maintain.

BTW, ok is just as short as no and is almost universally substitutable for yes in the catagory of questions containing the term "pls" .

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 01-19-13 at 03:53 AM.
01-19-13, 07:50 PM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Actually, this won't fix all of the issues but things like focus-targeting from custom UIs should finally just work. The relevant changes can be found here highlighted in green.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
01-19-13, 09:41 PM   #7
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Thank you for the information. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Actually, this won't fix all of the issues but things like focus-targeting from custom UIs should finally just work. The relevant changes can be found here highlighted in green.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Interact with Target