01-27-11, 01:57 PM   #1
Lemons224
A Defias Bandit
Direct Link to an Addon Comment?

Hello, I'm writing a blog post and I wanted to make a direct link to a specifc comment in an addon's comment section...is there any way to do that? I'm not completely sure that this is the correct forum to post in, but none of the others looked appropriate either. Thanks.
01-27-11, 02:19 PM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sure what addon is it?
01-27-11, 02:23 PM   #3
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Hmm, I do wonder if this is possible. I know that comments that appear in search results don't link directly back to the comment itself, but rather just the comments section of the addon (so annoying ), so I'm wondering if the tech exists to do it on WoW-Interface. Definitely would be nice
01-27-11, 04:26 PM   #4
Shmii
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I know you can do it using #<comment ID>, but it requires you to be in the comments section of the page first, and it also requires you to dig around in the HTML for the comment ID, or jump pages and dissect a link. I'm not aware of any way to redirect the person from #comments to #<ID> without requiring the use of extension / mod for a browser.

I mean, it's definitely possible to do this, but I don't think the tools are readily available to general users. I think you'd be better off just copy and pasting the comment into your blog post with a link to the comments section of the addon. This saves the reader from having to visit the website unless they truly want to see the comment in it's "natural environment" *. They'd still have to find the comment themselves, but at least they could just control+F and search for a piece of that paragraph to find it.

*Not trying to offend supporters and dev's of this site, it's drastically better than curse. But loading another page to find and read something has always been one of those things I was taught to avoid.
01-27-11, 05:43 PM   #5
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

What addon and what comment.
Seems I have asked this before not sure where.
01-27-11, 06:28 PM   #6
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

The easiest method is to link to just the comment itself, and not to the comments section + comment. It's not as nice, but may suffice. You can do this by clicking the little #6 to the far right of people's comments. Hopefully Nobgul can provide deliverance to you of the answer to your question
01-27-11, 08:58 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That only works for forum posts, but is not necessary unless you only want to display the individual post (as linking to a post in the thread is possible: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...910#post227910 )

I do not know if it is possible to link to a specific comment for download pages. Even in the emails we get for reported comments, it only gives us the ID of the comment to look for, and the link is just for the comments tab.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-30-11, 01:35 AM   #8
Lemons224
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Nobgul View Post
What addon and what comment.
Seems I have asked this before not sure where.
Whoops, I've been neglecting this thread.

The comment is for ccComboPoints - 4.X Compatibilty Update...it's the 9th one down the page (at the time of this writing) by avngr. In it he explains how to modify the xml file to change the position of the combo points.

And I did try using the comment ID, but it didn't work. Either because I wasn't using the correct comment ID, bad syntax, or that it simply doesn't work like that.

If there's no way then there's no way. I should probaly just copy/paste the comment like Shmii suggested so readers don't have to navigate away from the post (assuming that I even have any readers >.>). that said it would still be cool to provide a direct link.

Last edited by Lemons224 : 01-30-11 at 01:47 AM.
01-31-11, 06:58 PM   #9
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
There is no current way to directly link to a comment. I now see the need for it and will be addon to my list.

Thanks

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Direct Link to an Addon Comment?