09-28-09, 08:10 AM   #1
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
How to create an empty info panel?

I was wondering if there was an easy way to create an extra empty info panel. By easy, I mean a couple lines of code I could put in somewhere, or possible an addon that already does it.
I have seen plenty of addons that move healbot, carbonite, etc, to the info panel and create an extra window, and I would like to do the same with an empty one.
Specifically, I am wanting to put a warlock mod, necrosis in there.

Thanks.

09-28-09, 08:25 AM   #2
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
Nevermind. Thinking about it further, it wouldnt work anyways, because Necrosis would not disappear when I switched my info panel to one of the others like the minimap or recount.

09-28-09, 08:34 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes, you have to make an addon that specifically anchored the addon in questions frame(s) into the infopanel frame. That way when the frame is hidden so will the addon.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

09-28-09, 09:20 AM   #4
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yes, you have to make an addon that specifically anchored the addon in questions frame(s) into the infopanel frame. That way when the frame is hidden so will the addon.
Yea, Im attempting (so far unsuccessfully) to do that now, using the Healbot and Recount Infopanel addons as guides.

Where would be a good place to ask a few questions concerning errors I am getting?

09-28-09, 09:52 AM   #5
Seer
A Molten Giant
Post them here, so many bright kids and oldies around here surely 1 or 2 can help out.

I seem to recall somebody else was trying to make a "necrosis" like mod to intergrate with nUI.. (lunar Sphere ? Something like that) Not sure if it was ever done and if so, what it's called..

Edit

Aha ; here I suppose (Seems you have to bribe Xrystal a bit)

Edit2

Something based on this might be a better way to go around perhaps.

Last edited by Seer : 09-28-09 at 10:24 AM.

09-28-09, 11:03 AM   #6
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Post them here, so many bright kids and oldies around here surely 1 or 2 can help out.

I seem to recall somebody else was trying to make a "necrosis" like mod to intergrate with nUI.. (lunar Sphere ? Something like that) Not sure if it was ever done and if so, what it's called..

Edit

Aha ; here I suppose (Seems you have to bribe Xrystal a bit)

Edit2

Something based on this might be a better way to go around perhaps.
Something similar to that LS mod is exactly what I am looking for.

Xrystal, if you are still scopin this thread, whats the word on the LS? If nothing else, I might be able to use it as a template to modify necrosis.

Thanks.

09-28-09, 01:50 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, I haven't touched it much since my last attempt. I was hoping they had sensibly linked the small circles to the large circle they surround and thus move with it when I move it into the info panel but no luck.

I haven't been in programming brain form recently so haven't done anything addon wise for weeks but it is one of several I am hoping to get sorted out when my brain kicks back in.

I have written 2 different types of info panel plugins. MagePorts is an all in one addon that not only has the mageports functionality built in but also plugs it into the infopanel. Decursive on the other hand just has the code to plug in the decursive frame ( all other frames are anchored to it ) into the info panel and may be the one better suited to the task you want.

An even better one to look at to see how the different addons and the plugin code comes in to play is the decursive / omen plugin. I separated the functionality dealing with the individual addons so users could see exactly what is going on and prospective coders could do similar for other small addons like that.

How I go about making an info panel plugin is as follows:

1. Find a frame in the original addon that is publicly accessible and can be reparented to another frame.

2. In the info panel plugin addon refer to that frame when you initially set up the addon so that all future functionality is using it.

3. If the addon needs to be resized to fit the panel find out if there are some settings the original addon uses and set those up by default. In decursive's case I utilised the functionality it had to define the number of boxes across and the total number of boxes to display to fit in the panel. The user can then change this and their choice and it will ( if I remember right ) keep their settings and use them for future loading sessions.

4. Once everything seems to be working fine with the plug in installed. Turn off the plugin and see what happens with the addon. Then turn on the plugin and turn off the addon and see what happens. Correct anything you didn't expect to happen.

Characters:

09-28-09, 02:21 PM   #8
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
Rofl, I haven't touched it much since my last attempt. I was hoping they had sensibly linked the small circles to the large circle they surround and thus move with it when I move it into the info panel but no luck.

I haven't been in programming brain form recently so haven't done anything addon wise for weeks but it is one of several I am hoping to get sorted out when my brain kicks back in.

I have written 2 different types of info panel plugins. MagePorts is an all in one addon that not only has the mageports functionality built in but also plugs it into the infopanel. Decursive on the other hand just has the code to plug in the decursive frame ( all other frames are anchored to it ) into the info panel and may be the one better suited to the task you want.

An even better one to look at to see how the different addons and the plugin code comes in to play is the decursive / omen plugin. I separated the functionality dealing with the individual addons so users could see exactly what is going on and prospective coders could do similar for other small addons like that.

How I go about making an info panel plugin is as follows:

1. Find a frame in the original addon that is publicly accessible and can be reparented to another frame.

2. In the info panel plugin addon refer to that frame when you initially set up the addon so that all future functionality is using it.

3. If the addon needs to be resized to fit the panel find out if there are some settings the original addon uses and set those up by default. In decursive's case I utilised the functionality it had to define the number of boxes across and the total number of boxes to display to fit in the panel. The user can then change this and their choice and it will ( if I remember right ) keep their settings and use them for future loading sessions.

4. Once everything seems to be working fine with the plug in installed. Turn off the plugin and see what happens with the addon. Then turn on the plugin and turn off the addon and see what happens. Correct anything you didn't expect to happen.
Its funny or good that you mention point 2 concerning the frames, since this is the source of my initial question. In the infopanel lua for Healbot, it refers to "hb_frame" and the recount one uses "rframe". I can find no reference to either of these in any of the corresponding mods lua's after searching with the find function. I'm thinking these are somehow linked back to the source mod, but can't figure out how.

09-28-09, 03:03 PM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, thats the local variable name for the frame :

In one of the functions you have the following 2 lines:

local HB_Frame = HealBot_Action;
plugin.HB_Frame = HB_Frame;

HealBot_Action is the name of the frame used in the healbot addon.

You should find a similar section of code in all the other plugins referring to their particular frame.

Referring to the external frame all the time will just take that little bit longer. Turning it into a local variable makes for speedier access ( or so I read in wowwiki somewhere anyway ).

Characters:

09-29-09, 06:46 AM   #10
Pr1De
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ah, thats the local variable name for the frame :

In one of the functions you have the following 2 lines:

local HB_Frame = HealBot_Action;
plugin.HB_Frame = HB_Frame;

HealBot_Action is the name of the frame used in the healbot addon.

You should find a similar section of code in all the other plugins referring to their particular frame.

Referring to the external frame all the time will just take that little bit longer. Turning it into a local variable makes for speedier access ( or so I read in wowwiki somewhere anyway ).

Ahh, that makes sense. Will work on it a bit more today and see what happens.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » How to create an empty info panel?