WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Help/Support (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Please update your addons (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41919)

WOWVern 11-29-11 02:54 PM

Please update your addons

Sounds simplistic enough. Let me clarify:

Some addons are causing WoW to crash in the loading screen with "Load Out of Date Addons" checked. I believe Blizzard has made it mandatory (due to the Background Downloader being run) to have as many addons up to date as possible. It means more work, but in the long run it makes the game run smoother.

Cairenn 11-29-11 03:08 PM

Ummm, what? (a) Who are you talking to? (b) Blizz has made it mandatory? What the heck are you talking about?

Haleth 11-29-11 03:31 PM

You're on a site dedicated to WoW addons, I think that the general idea of updating addons is understood. :)

If addons are causing a crash on your loading screen then you either a) are using too many addons, causing a lack of RAM memory which would be very unlikely; b) using a broken addon which should either be updated by yourself if a new version is available or by the author.

Try deleting your WTF, Cache and Data/Cache folders also (make backup of the WTF folder).

reflectional 11-29-11 03:38 PM

This was happening to me so i disabled a few addons that i didn't need at that moment and everything ran fine.

tiker 11-29-11 03:38 PM

Just an FYI, I've read so far that Recount and FishingBuddy addons are causing crashing / hanging issues for people.

My wife had a problem and was able to logon after disabling FishingBuddy but leaving Recount enabled.

Just putting it out there.

SDPhantom 11-29-11 10:47 PM

Usually when a patch comes out, WoW breaks several addons in the process. Now, I login with one of my addons breaking the WoW chat/command system. Oh, how the tables have turned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOWVern (Post 248027)
Some addons are causing WoW to crash in the loading screen with "Load Out of Date Addons" checked.

One of my own addons that uses code to dynamically throttle itself has been acting strangely in a way similar to this in which the throttle no longer functions properly and causes the game to hang for short periods of time. Doing an open-ended scan causes the game to run into an infinite loop which the throttle code was supposed to prevent.

Edit: I found the problem, the great minds at Blizzard decided to screw up the function GetTime() so the value returned only updates once every frame.

Saiket 11-30-11 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 248115)
Edit: I found the problem, the great minds at Blizzard decided to screw up the function GetTime() so the value returned only updates once every frame.

Yep, you can either use time(), which only has second precision, or debugprofilestart()/debugprofilestop() which has sub-millisecond precision but might interfere with legitimate debug timers.

Xrystal 11-30-11 02:08 AM

ooh, hopefully I'll remember that and check nUI.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned in this thread anywhere .. apparently SetCooldown isn't working the same way anymore. Some new frame or two has been created that handles events and doesn't update the buttons at the same rate as they did before.

SDPhantom 11-30-11 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiket (Post 248124)
Yep, you can either use time(), which only has second precision, or debugprofilestart()/debugprofilestop() which has sub-millisecond precision but might interfere with legitimate debug timers.

time() doesn't have the precision for FPS-based throttle code and I started work on a prototype of library code to restore the old GetTime() functionality using the profiling functions while attempting to make their use transparent. It would do this my hijacking the functions themselves then creating proxy functions to allow other addons to still use them.

Although as a side-effect of the library code in effect now, GetTime() would have a lot more precision than it used to have, although it may be off by as much as 1ms.

I guess another way would be to use GetFramerate() to see how much time you need to adjust by and use the profiling functions to govern the loops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 248126)
.. apparently SetCooldown isn't working the same way anymore. Some new frame or two has been created that handles events and doesn't update the buttons at the same rate as they did before.

I'll have to look for that, it's blocking my cooldown text addon from working.

Xrystal 11-30-11 02:44 AM

One of the nUI users found a bit more about it yesterday ,..

https://github.com/tullamods/OmniCC/...omment-2640919

theres a quick and dirty fix in there for OmniCC which the nUI user may have used to fix nUI. Not had the chance to check it out myself since they posted that link as it was already past 3am when that came through haha

SDPhantom 11-30-11 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 248131)

Broken link. :rolleyes:

Cairenn 11-30-11 04:08 AM

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...36-OmniCC.html is updated.

Lily.Petal 11-30-11 11:10 AM

Recount breaks with every patch though. Not sure on FishingBuddy

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiker (Post 248044)
Just an FYI, I've read so far that Recount and FishingBuddy addons are causing crashing / hanging issues for people.

My wife had a problem and was able to logon after disabling FishingBuddy but leaving Recount enabled.

Just putting it out there.

OT: Sadly, both of my main computers are not working right meow; updated my mac and now won't start and my laptop's screen broke. Might be a while before I look/update or start on a project :<

Zidomo 11-30-11 11:46 AM

Both Recount & FishingBuddy have put out updated 4.3 release versions in the past day (Recount actually has been updated to 4.3 in WowAce alpha versions for close to a month).

Neither of them are on this site; check Curse.

Shadowed 11-30-11 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 248129)
time() doesn't have the precision for FPS-based throttle code and I started work on a prototype of library code to restore the old GetTime() functionality using the profiling functions while attempting to make their use transparent. It would do this my hijacking the functions themselves then creating proxy functions to allow other addons to still use them.

Although as a side-effect of the library code in effect now, GetTime() would have a lot more precision than it used to have, although it may be off by as much as 1ms.

I guess another way would be to use GetFramerate() to see how much time you need to adjust by and use the profiling functions to govern the loops.

I'll have to look for that, it's blocking my cooldown text addon from working.

Out of curiosity, do you have an example of what it is you're trying to do that you cannot anymore?

Talyrius 11-30-11 12:51 PM

I'm curious as well.

Vlad 11-30-11 01:02 PM

The GetTime change was unexpected, so far my addons using it work fine but maybe not those that need more precision.

SDPhantom 11-30-11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 248131)
theres a quick and dirty fix in there for OmniCC which the nUI user may have used to fix nUI.

Looks like they added a new API function called SetActionUIButton() that handles the action bar cooldown frames from C code. Looks like he hooked that function to get his code to work, then scanned in all of the bars, adding all the buttons manually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowed (Post 248187)
Out of curiosity, do you have an example of what it is you're trying to do that you cannot anymore?

For example, my SpellList addon scans through the spell database to allow the user to view them. It uses a FPS limit-based throttle to ensure the FPS rate doesn't go below a certain number while scanning. To do this, it takes a timestamp from the last update and runs until the difference from that and the current time exceeds time determined by the FPS limit. At which, the code releases the OnUpdate handler to let WoW continue the rendering pass. The difficulty imposed is that GetTime() only updates after every OnUpdate. Notice I never said this was impossible to fix. Just that Blizzard tends to like to make things unnecessarily difficult.

Xinhuan 12-03-11 01:59 PM

The GetTime() change broke background coroutines in my addon Routes. I was using it to determine how often to yield(). Now I'll either have to use debugprofilestart()/stop() or just estimate blindly...