View Single Post
12-08-17, 03:36 PM   #31
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by vis781 View Post
You're going too far with what I'm saying. It is perfectly acceptable to call a read only method from inside a secure snippet. You are suggesting that it's also possible to cast spells, but you can't do that from UnitName alone, you would need additional functions.
If you had access to various API functions that tell you more than a macro can, you would essentially be able to automate your spell rotation, program decision-making from scraping unit information and all sorts of shenanigans. Sure, you'd have to press a button to do it, but just one button.
This is exactly what the restricted environment is designed to prevent.

Originally Posted by vis781 View Post
There is no reason why blizzard couldn't include a small subset of global functions localised to a table and make that table accessible from a secure snippet. Please read what I have posted and tell me where I suggested making functions that cast spells available or any other methods that could affect gameplay... I didn't.
They do - and it's a very careful selection of functions. Any hole in the system quickly becomes exploited when left open; e.g. how EnemyGrid trivialised multi-dotting when nameplate GUIDs were targetable in the beginning of Legion. More recently, we've seen the introduction of forbidden friendly nameplates since guilds competing for world first exploited the nameplate system to trivialise certain raid encounters.

You seem to be questioning a system you haven't yet fully wrapped your head around.