View Single Post
05-02-09, 11:42 AM   #1097
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Slilialumen View Post
While I understand the annoyance at WOWMATRIX for sucking bandwidth, and I agree author information should have always been included and accessable, it does not change the facts.

BLIZZ addon developement rules require:

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
a. All add-ons must be distributed free of charge.
b. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

So if someone comes up with a better client (i.e. WOWMATRIX) for people to use to update their addons, they have every right in the world to do it. If you block them you are violating 1) a. Free Distribution.

In addition the Curse Client, with its Pay for version clearly violates the underlined section of 1) b. no charges for additional services (updating).

Don't be shocked when Blizz invokes rule 8.

8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
To maintain the integrity World of Warcraft and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to disable any add-on functionality within World of Warcraft at its sole discretion. For more information...
Free distribution and distributed for free meaning without some form of monetary compensation is 2 different things.

The Curse client in its "regular user" incarnation allows you to download any addon you like without paying a dime. Hell, if you hate the client so much, you can even go to Curse and download the addon manually FOR FREE. Curse Premium simply adds one more feature to the client (among other things), most notably the "Update All" feature. It is well within their rights to charge for something in their own 3rd party application, considering that you do not even REQUIRE said application to get your addons...for FREE.