View Single Post
03-17-16, 11:07 AM   #16
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Folji View Post
That'd likely be a pretty good solution if you assume players probably won't be holding the modifiers for longer than it takes them to press the button they'd have in mind there. And it has enough visual feedback with the button vanishing to give the cue of "okay, that button is now in focus".
Modifiers are normally not held for longer than a split second, just like you don't hold a modifier on your keyboard for longer than it takes you to trigger the binding you're trying to reach. The idea behind showing it on the main button is not really for a gameplay purpose, but rather giving you an easy way of tracking your bindings and spells. Seasoned players will see a lot of visual chaos on screen while keeping up the average pace of WoW gameplay with some of the examples I've tried.

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
If you wanted to make that change even more obvious, the solution would definitely be to either have a quick animation that enlarges the modifier and moves it to the center, so that it visibly slides up and overlaps the main button. Or you could have a quick border flash on the main button just as the modifier key is pressed.
The tiny animation might be an interesting solution, but it'll take a while longer to code than writing another state swapper since I already sort of created a template system for that. Might be worth trying it out at least, just to see how it feels.

I did try another thing, which was to entirely hide the modifier buttons (as suggested by Nynaeve) unless the bar is moused over. This setup is extremely clean and lightweight (though things like cooldowns and procs should ideally always be visible) and it works well for me personally, but might not be easy to use for a beginner.

https://youtu.be/0l_PmiaPUwU