05-24-24, 08:01 AM   #1
Alenasoset
A Murloc Raider
Cataclysm portrait background color change

hey guys,

I have a quick question and I've figured this might be the best place to ask, I've been trying to figure this out for a while with zero luck so far 😕

Since Cataclysm beta (and now with live as well) there is a blue/teal *portrait background* color - instead of the old black one. I know it's a bug, but I actually like it pretty much and I'm wondering what causes this, since ideally I'd like to keep it after they revert it back to black. I'm also wondering where could the background file located (I have some experience with MPQ editors/extractors) and if there's a way to change it to any other color, even with a SetVertexColor command - if that's even possible. I'd appreciate any help if anyone have some ideas 🙃
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	60
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	9885  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	62
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	9886  
05-24-24, 12:16 PM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The background colour is from the creation of the portrait texture by Blizz. It's not a seperate background you can adjust.

You can try this in different versions of the game to see (while it lasts). /reload or exit to clear.
Lua Code:
  1. /run local t = UIParent:CreateTexture() t:SetSize(100, 100)  t:SetPoint("TOP", 0, -10) SetPortraitTexture(t, "player")

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-24-24 at 12:20 PM.
05-25-24, 02:26 PM   #3
Alenasoset
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for your insight, Fizzlemizz. I always adored your knowledge throughout the years, even when I was just lurking around

I ran your code and indeed; it's not a separate texture. I wonder what did Blizzard change upon Cataclysm classic to make the background this different, blue-ish colour.

I found an alternate solution though, even though I'm just a little bit closer to figure this out. There are addons like 'Adapt' & 'Simple3DPortraits' which let's you animate your Player/Target/TargetToT/Focus/FocusToT Portraits and change their background as well. If I understood it correctly - with my limited LUA knowledge - the addon's disable the original Blizzard portraits and then they replace it with an animated model and that way the addon can draw a background layer to it. I figured how to make a colored background, now I just need to figure out how to *freeze* the 3D animated portraits to make it 2D. I think it's possible, but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, thank you for your clarification in the previous post, it helped a lot.
05-25-24, 02:46 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Unit portraits change when you change gear etc. To do this Blizz. "snapshots" your character and renders a static 2D image (including background) to place in the portrait region. The original selfie camera.

For 3D, the 2D texture is hidden and replaced with a PlayerModel frame using the unitid eg. "player" as the unit to display. You can zoom it in or just set its PortraitZoom method.

You can't stop all motion though (Unless SetPaused does this, I've not tried it) even in portrait mode (the head will do whatever the unit's race does with its head when resting).

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-25-24 at 03:20 PM.
05-26-24, 10:11 AM   #5
Alenasoset
A Murloc Raider
Thank you again Fizzle, for your detailed explanation, now I understand it way better. I guess there is no way then to achieve what I wanted, but at least now I know why. Thanks to your links, I found this command; 'PlayerModel:FreezeAnimation' & 'SetPaused' which I'll definitely try when I get home, just to try it one last time, without any real hope

I have two other quick questions as well - if you don't mind (or I can make a new thread to separate these questions).

I'd like to change the font only on the player names, meaning the text above the character's head. If I change the (I think it's called the) FRIZQT__.ttf font, then it changes, but it changes other parts of the UI's other fonts as well. I know if I find which font-type responsible for that (for example: gamefontnormal etc.) then I can change it, but is there any better way to solely change (or target) the font type above the player's head?

..and my other question is; ideally, I'd like to change the above head's font colour as well. I understand there are some restrictions where you can't change it (dungeons/pvp instances), but other than that it should be changeable I think, but I'm honestly not sure since everything I tried didn't worked before. Maybe it's just not possible.

Sorry if I'm asking too much, I did my research for days, but currently I have no idea how to move forward with these.

Last edited by Alenasoset : 05-26-24 at 10:25 AM. Reason: -
05-26-24, 11:20 AM   #6
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
If you mean the 3D world names then you (addons) can't effect those. Otherwise a nameplate addon should do what you want.
05-28-24, 08:55 AM   #7
Alenasoset
A Murloc Raider
Alright. Thank you. 😊
06-06-24, 07:54 AM   #8
ThomasThompson
A Kobold Labourer
Thank you so much for the help.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Cataclysm portrait background color change