09-25-10, 08:33 AM   #3601
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by Sec View Post
The border Haleth has demonstrated makes me think that it might be more viable to pull of a 1-pixel border (or an "oreo" border even) with !Beautycase due to the added "bulk" of the shadow.

Oreo border of course being a white pixel line bordered by two black ones.
Like this?

I prefer the effect the shadow creates, to be honest. You're right about the "bulk" though, which is why I only use it on actual windows - settings, popups, etc, and not on e.g. the minimap or buffs.

I don't use !Beautycase by the way, mostly use some simple functions

09-25-10, 09:19 AM   #3602
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
You actually got a PuG into BRD? Holy cow!
Dude, from 51-57 that's basically the only place you CAN get a pug.

Never got a pug for Scholo, Strat, DM, ...

BRD is a bit long tho imo, but nice exp. In outland now tho ^^

edit: p.s. You have to comment the UI btw, not the pug.

09-25-10, 10:03 AM   #3603
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post

I love this. :3

09-25-10, 10:30 AM   #3604
Sec
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
You actually got a PuG into BRD? Holy cow!
I've done 2-3 full clears of BRD, and a bunch of PuGs. It can be extremely fun or frustrating, but my gosh those full clears take forever.

09-25-10, 12:40 PM   #3605
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Perhaps it's a matter of personal preference, but I love this without the shadows.

09-25-10, 01:44 PM   #3606
Sec
A Cyclonian

Like this?

I prefer the effect the shadow creates, to be honest. You're right about the "bulk" though, which is why I only use it on actual windows - settings, popups, etc, and not on e.g. the minimap or buffs.

Yes, when I say "oreo", I am describing the game menu you link in that post.

I too like the "oreo" style with the shadows, but I personally would carry those shadows to many UI elements to keep a consistency. It could amount to having too much "bulk" but I haven't tried it so I can't really make a decision.

I was so hyped to discover !Beautycase but I could not attain crisp pixel borders - even "oreo" - since it was 1 or 3 pixels wide (evidently not enough bulk?). In having the shadow along with the "oreo", !Beautycase may be able to properly display such a border.

I had been using LitePanels up until this point to attain any sort of border, though I had not been able to execute what I wanted.

09-26-10, 06:27 AM   #3607
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
Dude, from 51-57 that's basically the only place you CAN get a pug.
Must be just me though, but every time my alt got into a BRD pug, people started moaning and leaving. When asked, they said they preferred leveling over running that place. I've only run it on my main at 70 and again at 80 and I think it's one of the best instances ever created, but I was never able to make a full clear at an appropriate level

edit: p.s. You have to comment the UI btw, not the pug.
Sigh, fine...

Big font is ugly for one thing and I think the target frame is too far away from the character. The whole thing also gives me a feeling of no symmetry or organization... the elements just feel randomly thrown in place. I know they aren't and that you put everything there for a reason that you know very well, but it just feels that way to me as an outside observer. And what happened to the cool shadows?

edit: also, people's names above their heads are in all lowercase while everything else in your UI isn't. What's up with that?

Last edited by haylie : 09-26-10 at 06:30 AM.

09-26-10, 07:41 AM   #3608
Stanzilla
An Aku'mai Servant
Like this?

Oh please release the code for that I sooo want that!

09-26-10, 11:06 AM   #3609
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I'm currently trying to use some brighter hp bar colours and therefore changed the class/reaction coloured background to a solid colour.

What's better? ... Yeah, I know, personal preference and all, but still... looking for default config settings for my oUF layout.

first picture = dark color, class/reaction coloured background
scond picture = random brighter color, solid coloured background

E: I should have mentioned that there will be an option to switch between the two choices. Still looking for the "best" default settings, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nivea r21 before.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	4867  Click image for larger version

Name:	nivea r21.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	4868  

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 09-26-10 at 11:14 AM.

09-26-10, 11:29 AM   #3610
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Sigh, fine...

Big font is ugly for one thing and I think the target frame is too far away from the character. The whole thing also gives me a feeling of no symmetry or organization... the elements just feel randomly thrown in place. I know they aren't and that you put everything there for a reason that you know very well, but it just feels that way to me as an outside observer. And what happened to the cool shadows?

edit: also, people's names above their heads are in all lowercase while everything else in your UI isn't. What's up with that?
Damn you and your critisism! Anyway, I took some of your advice and changed some things around.
http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_9_26_17_0_32xca2.png

First of all, yes my DPS is way too high. Second, I made the Target and ToT a bit smaller (like player and pet) and placed them closer to my UF. This allowed me to place NeedToKnow under the target frame and it still being visible all the time. Now it's less crowded under my Player Frame so it's easier to detect the short duration buffs and cooldowns as you can see.
Raid frames will probably go somewhere where the party frames are now.

I liek this version more to be honest. Probably making my laptop version of it this evening.

edit: Oh and about the lower case font, well I'm used to it (tooltip has the same font). And tbh it's such a small part of the UI that I really can't be arsed to change it. A pixelfont probably wouldn't even work well. Shadows are gone because well .. they're gone.

@Dawn: I personally like the first version best.

Last edited by Led ++ : 09-26-10 at 11:32 AM.

09-26-10, 11:42 AM   #3611
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

For those of you that are trying to skin some of the default blizzard frames.
This code removes that annoying topleft image on all the frames which you have to work with, makes it a lot easier to create square frames

select(1, CharacterFrame:GetRegions()):Hide()
select(1, PlayerTalentFrame:GetRegions()):Hide()
select(1, SpellBookFrame:GetRegions()):Hide()

etc

Last edited by sacrife : 09-26-10 at 11:53 AM.

09-26-10, 11:48 AM   #3612
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I'm currently trying to use some brighter hp bar colours and therefore changed the class/reaction coloured background to a solid colour.

What's better? ... Yeah, I know, personal preference and all, but still... looking for default config settings for my oUF layout.

first picture = dark color, class/reaction coloured background
scond picture = random brighter color, solid coloured background

E: I should have mentioned that there will be an option to switch between the two choices. Still looking for the "best" default settings, though.
I don't know... I like the colors of the first one better, but both of them make it difficult to read the text on the bars.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-26-10, 12:56 PM   #3613
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
You're resorting to Pixel Fonts now Dawn?!

edit - It looks very nice Dawn. I like both colors the same.

Last edited by Ferous : 09-26-10 at 02:58 PM.

09-26-10, 01:26 PM   #3614
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Alrdy chased him for that!

Tukui | Github

09-26-10, 03:30 PM   #3615
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Thanks for the feedback, just want to point out that the bright colour is chosen pretty random, could have been anything. I was more interested in the health bar colour / background colour relation.

@Seerah
What do you mean with "both of them make it difficult to read the text on the bars"?

The only text (except for combat feedback text) is on that info panel below all bars and that colour is unchanged?

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post

edit - It looks very nice Dawn. I like both colors the same.
Well, I'm resorting to creating my own fonts. One of them is this pixel font. So ... not really, but maybe partially, dunno. It fits in there.

I currently have created a font that needs more love for special glyphs, therefore I can't use it - even though it would be readable at such a small size.
Another font is readable and has all glyphs but looses all it's flavour at such a size - it's a stencil font.
That's why the pixel font made it.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

09-26-10, 03:46 PM   #3616
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
@Seerah
What do you mean with "both of them make it difficult to read the text on the bars"?

The only text (except for combat feedback text) is on that info panel below all bars and that colour is unchanged?
The number in the middle of the health bar.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-26-10, 04:40 PM   #3617
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
Oh please release the code for that I sooo want that!

This isn't really a new thing.. if you look at Eclipses edit of Tukui you can see how it's done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_092610_155443.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	950.1 KB
ID:	4869  

Last edited by Petrah : 09-26-10 at 04:56 PM.

09-26-10, 05:26 PM   #3618
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm really liking the first one better Dawn. As far as the color of the text giving the percentage on health, probably a color that stands out brighter than the red aggro gradient, maybe either an orangy color or even white? Just a thought

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!

09-26-10, 08:04 PM   #3619
Dawn
A Molten Giant

The small number on the health bar is the combat feedback text. No health percent shown, except for boss units (and even then it's just right aside of the current health).

The current health value is coloured by percent, though.

Anyway, I got it, will stick to the first one and make the other version optional. Thanks.

09-27-10, 05:16 AM   #3620
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
Damn you and your critisism! Anyway, I took some of your advice and changed some things around.
-snip-
Yeah, definitely like it better now. However I think the party frames you had before were better for you as a DPS class, unless of course you have a healer alt or something.

Also, about the NeedToKnow bars. Currently they have a bigger height than your target's HP bar, making them stand out more than the target frame itself. That's not a bad thing, but you should ask yourself which is more important - the target's HP or your NTK bars?

Just a couple of stuff to ponder on.

PS - I knew you'd make the font smaller if I kept bugging you!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...