08-18-12, 04:44 AM   #1
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Best way to learn LUA?

I want to learn LUA, and any kind of coding that is used for User Interfaces. So I can learn to cleanly, code and create my own UI from scratch, and not use much addons if I can help it, so I can do something kind of like what FreeUI does, but with my own touch to it, and with my own code.

Since I'm new to LUA in general, and I only know some basic functions, where should I start and what websites, or forum posts or anything should I be reading, so I can get started on learning LUA, the easiest way possible?

I have a learning disability, so things need to be pretty clear and easy for me to understand.
08-18-12, 06:14 AM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
The easiest way to learn making addons in Lua is to look at simple addons that do just one thing.
Look at the code and try to understand what its doing. Change a few things to test what happens.

From my own experience the Ace3-Library-Framework is extremly good documented. So looking at the libs and how they manage stuff helped me alot to understand what works and what not so good.
08-18-12, 10:35 AM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
The easiest way to learn making addons in Lua is to look at simple addons that do just one thing.
Look at the code and try to understand what its doing. Change a few things to test what happens.
I totally agree with this. Aside from a little book reading, this is how I've been learning to do stuff since I started actually mucking around with addons 2 years ago. You've gotta jump in head first, and try, and what you can't figure out on your own, ask for some help.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
08-18-12, 11:17 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
My first addon was the money display tutorial addon. I then played with it a bit and looked at what the different elements did. Once you realise all addons are made up of frames, data tables, events and functions it's just the question on which ones you need to use and when the best time is. Trial and error initially, still stumped, then ask what you've not noticed.

There's been many a time when I've been foxed by a program bug and my brother kindly points out some stupid oversight I just didn't see despite reading the program through line by line several times rofl.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
08-18-12, 12:48 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This sticky thread (and the forum section it's in) is a bevy of resources: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43699
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Best way to learn LUA?