04-16-05, 02:51 PM   #1
grrmisfit
A Kobold Labourer
write to file

is there anyway to do a command and have a specific written to file? ie i wana make a note /notetoself bblah blah blah and its write the info to say a text file?
04-17-05, 02:20 AM   #2
Remelio

Pretty sure this isn't allowed to prevent mods from writing files to your computer - about all you can do is have an in-game notepad that writes to your saved variable file.
05-30-05, 12:05 PM   #3
Orolain
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, there are several Lua io.open/write/flush/etc functions, but I noticed some differences in what WoW makes available and what Lua has to offer.

Does anyone know of a list of the differences between Lua-Lua and WoW-Lua?
05-30-05, 12:27 PM   #4
Beladona
A Molten Giant

it is not really so much a difference, as much as it is a "restriction" on what is allowed to be used. WoW uses lua 5.0 and simply locks out certain functions from being usable...

As for a list of what can, and cannot be used, I don't know that anyone has that. Although my dreamweaver extension them all listed within the plugin, and highlights them. Perhaps when I get the code hints done I can release an open source list as well...

There are lists for the Global and Wiget API used by WOW, but I haven't seen a straight lua documentation made for WoW that excludes or at least mentions the unavailability of certain native functions.
05-30-05, 02:17 PM   #5
Orolain
A Murloc Raider
True. On the other hand, the lua.exe binary for windows is only 188k. Shipped with a lua script and a batch file it's pretty easy to write your own scripts outside of WoW to parse the SavedVariables.lua file and format the data.

Have a quick and really dirty example here:

http://endoflegends.com/parser/1.1/
10-14-05, 06:10 PM   #6
miranoff
A Murloc Raider
is it possible to load that savedvariables.lua script on the fly without a /reloadui command?

That would be perfect, which propbabaly means it isnt possible
10-14-05, 06:43 PM   #7
Gello
A Molten Giant
There isn't.

Extreme effort has gone into preventing information going in and out of the game from a mod in a real-time manner.

There are small loopholes but they get closed in time.

As an example, even the /chatlog feature won't write in realtime. It stores up all the chat that accumulates in a sessions and doesn't write until you log out. (Tho perhaps the buffer filling may force it--in which case it could be a huge buffer to prevent flooding the buffer to force realtime output)
10-15-05, 12:19 AM   #8
miranoff
A Murloc Raider
grand :/

someone said that that was a result of the guys that run thottbot putting thottbot in thier first UI for WoW and blizzard said it would interfere with strat book sales or something so they yanked the ability to drop live feeds into the wow UI.

gah, now im all disheartened...

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » write to file