04-11-07, 04:22 AM   #1
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Mail Spammers?

As most of you I keep getting these ingame mail spams for gold and such. I just delete them, but was wondering about this "keylogging" I hear about? Does opening the mail to delete allow them to do this "keylogging"?

Bellator
04-11-07, 04:34 AM   #2
lingering
A Cliff Giant

I doubt it very much it sounds like a rumour, I cant see blizz leaving any way to do this in the game, keyloggers are normally external products.

Andy
04-11-07, 05:54 AM   #3
Debz
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
fyi - keyloggers are a form of virus downloaded to your computer that allows an external person (hacker) to see what keys you are pressing. Therefore giving them your password for wow etc..

No chance at all it could be downloaded via opening mail in the game.

I guess that the farmers selling the gold just compile a list of people online and whisper them, or that they have compiled a list from a data mod like census to get a list of active players.

I heard of a mod called sentryspam that is supposed to filter out these whispers by level, name, and content of whisper etc, although i haven't tested it yet.
04-11-07, 06:58 AM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Debz
I heard of a mod called sentryspam that is supposed to filter out these whispers by level, name, and content of whisper etc, although i haven't tested it yet.
That's SpamSentry, and iirc it does not work based on level, but it does work extremely well.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-11-07, 08:56 AM   #5
Debz
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
I read somewhere it works out what whispers to block by checking level (usually gold spammers are level 1) their name ( usually random letters etc) and the content of the whisper

But like i said i hadn't tried it.
04-11-07, 10:17 AM   #6
Tsurani
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Debz
close it's called SpamSentry and you can find it here http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=5552

also if you are a windows user you may want to check out this article about hackers and your computers

http://wow.warcry.com/news/view/7037...et-WoW-players

please read ASAP and install the new patch from Microsoft if you use Windows!!
04-12-07, 03:56 AM   #7
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks for the info on the keylogging question. I see people talking about it in /ooc quite often and the gold spam seems to be getting out of hand. I am rather anal when it comes to surfing the web and downloads as having experienced a bad situation a couple years back. Going to try the spam sentry.

Thanks

Bellator

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Mail Spammers?