01-03-10, 02:17 PM   #1
nono031
A Murloc Raider
Memory leak ?

Hi all,

I have a memory leak (around 125Ko/s) but I don't know since when ?
(Sorry for my English, I'm a french user)

Someone have the same problem ?

Cheers,

Nono

01-03-10, 02:24 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
nUI will use larger amounts of memory depending on what your doing. Scott has addressed this a few times and assures his users its not a memory leak just normal usage.

If you wish to test for a possible one turn off ALL addons except nUI and see if the issue persists.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

01-03-10, 03:46 PM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

nUI uses dynamic memory which accumulates until the garbage collector runs and returns the memory to the heap. This is normal. I am doing my best to eliminate as much dynamic memory use as I can in nUI6 though.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-04-10, 03:19 PM   #4
nono031
A Murloc Raider
Just a little video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGvz6LzhCw
(Sorry for the quality, it's my first movie ^^)

I'm a software engineer, I can try to found the problem but it could take a long time...

It's so bad news cause I love your add-on but with this problem it's not playable more than 1h

01-04-10, 04:18 PM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

There is *NO* memory leak.

Lua uses automatic garbage collection. When you create a table, it uses memory. When you're done with the table, it does *NOT* immediately get deleted, it is just flagged for collection and until the garbage collector runs, it will be shown as used memory even though it is not actually being used any more.

If you watch the memory usage, you'll see that it continues to rise until some point when when the garbage collector runs, then it will drop back down and start climbing again.

While it is better to not use dynamic memory if you don't have to, it's "normal" behavior. It is *NOT* a memory leak. And, as already stated, hopefully nUI6 will use less dynamic memory.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-04-10, 04:27 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Also, I see you use TitanBar. I believe that has a garbage release button that forces the garbage collector to release everything. Perhaps you could use that when you feel the memory being released then will help matters.

Occasionally I myself would force a garbage release which didn't make much difference to me as it never decreased my fps like it does yours for some reason but perhaps you using it may help you enjoy nUI more.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

01-05-10, 01:17 AM   #7
nono031
A Murloc Raider
Ok there is a problem with the garbage collector because I can click and click again on the performance TitanPan and the memory usage still high...

A thing that I didn't say, I'm running WoW with a MacBook Pro with 4Gb of RAM

So for freeing my memory, I need to quit WoW launch a program whose freeing my RAM and start WoW again

Since few days, I use for PvE HL a custom UI but it's not nUI...

So there is no sense to come back to an older version of nUI...

I really don't know how to solve my problem... If it's really a problem with the GC of WoW (or an another component), I can try to tell it to Blizzard but it's like water off a duck's back, I think...

01-05-10, 01:35 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well, just logged onto one of my nesingwary girls who is sitting in the beginning zone at midnight mountain time.

These 3 pictures are showing the state of the fps and the memory with several addons I have activated. Not once did it drop below 60 fps and the memory went from 17 to 25 at most in the course of a minute and reset. This is happening all the time for me and it doesn't affect my gameplay whatsoever.

The problem that seems to be affecting you is something is causing your fps to drop dramatically which doesn't make sense.

Edit: Also, I tried 2 characters on Sen'Jin one in Stormwind (rogue) and one in Dalaran (warlock with demon active ). The warlock had the wider memory range with it going between 18 and 30 before releasing. The rogue 17 to 25 or so. With the additional tracking of information for the demon I would expect more memory usage.

Ah, also, I might add that perhaps running fraps in the background was also ruining your fps. Unless your fps drops to 17fps in that town on a regular basis. I used to have Dalaran sink me down to 20fps before but once I upgraded my computer to reflect the changes they made since 3.1 I only go below 40fps if I am in a 25 man instance in battle whereas before that I was dropping to 5fps with no difference in memory use by nUI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_010510_073031.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	3797  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_010510_073113.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	3798  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_010510_073127.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	3799  

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 01-05-10 at 02:53 AM.

01-05-10, 11:38 AM   #9
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by nono031 View Post
Ok there is a problem with the garbage collector because I can click and click again on the performance TitanPan and the memory usage still high...
A problem with garbage collection is a problem with the WoW client, NOT nUI. nUI has almost no control over the GC. Also worth noting... many of your so called performance monitoring addons have the effect of causing problems with garbage collection, and add a significant strain to the system (lowering FPS worse than the addons they are monitoring). It is highly recommended you turn them off and disable profiling.

Originally Posted by nono031 View Post
A thing that I didn't say, I'm running WoW with a MacBook Pro with 4Gb of RAM

So for freeing my memory, I need to quit WoW launch a program whose freeing my RAM and start WoW again
If you have to run an external program to free ram after World of Warcraft is closed, you have a very, very serious problem with your Operating System. All I can suggest is a complete reinstall of the OS.

01-10-10, 03:50 PM   #10
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
If you have to run an external program to free ram after World of Warcraft is closed, you have a very, very serious problem with your Operating System. All I can suggest is a complete reinstall of the OS.
Yeah, those programs that "Free RAM" are pretty much a scam. They don't help computers with low RAM and can actually damage the RAM over time. You should not need a program like that with 4GB of RAM. That is more than enough for WoW plus background stuff.

01-11-10, 06:57 AM   #11
gman265
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
These 3 pictures are showing the state of the fps and the memory with several addons I have activated. Not once did it drop below 60 fps and the memory went from 17 to 25 at most in the course of a minute and reset. This is happening all the time for me and it doesn't affect my gameplay whatsoever.
Holy cow Xrystal!!

I usually play WoW on a MacBook Pro with 2 gigs of ram, but sometimes use a Windows Laptop with 4 gigs of ram and normally run at about 100 mib of memory usage with around 40 to 60 fps. I also run like a billion addons, cut down from like 10 billion before using nUI. Okay.. there is a 'little' exaggeration there, but you get the point. It must be awesome running between 17 to 25.

LOL.. I just can't help myself with the addons. I start off with bare minimum and just keep adding stuff as I feel that I am in need of another feature not provided my Bliz.

Now as far as the garbage collection goes. I usually start off in the mid 70's, it rides all the way up to the 130's then drops down to 90 ~ 100. I rarely get up higher than the upper 130's and my fps always stays in the 40 to 60 range.

To the Poster.

Sounds as though you may have a problem with the WoW installation. It is so easy for files to become corrupted on any operating system. You can always do the repair files option in the WoW installation folder. It is a lot quicker than a complete install. If you decide to do this, be sure to backup your Interface and WTF folders. Even though the repair options renames those folder, I feel better when I have a backup.

Log on with the fresh ( empty ) Interface and WTF folders and check your memory usage. Then add one addon at a time, may as well start with nUI. Then check memory usage again. 'Rinse and repeat' with all your other addons, one at a time. I know it may be tempting to do so, but do not copy your old WTF and Interface files back into the working folders. Sometimes you have left over settings, from old addons, or your current addon settings can be all messed up and cause some crazy problems.

I hope this helps to trouble shoot your memory issue.

-gman

01-11-10, 07:00 AM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, Gman, I actually don't have much in the way of addons loaded up. I don't really play WoW anymore and utilise the account time I have testing addons and making sure mine work or writing more

I'm sure I hit nearer the 100mb mark with the different raid addons that I used to use as one of the main raid healers.

Characters:

01-12-10, 12:59 AM   #13
nono031
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by gman265 View Post
To the Poster.

Sounds as though you may have a problem with the WoW installation. It is so easy for files to become corrupted on any operating system. You can always do the repair files option in the WoW installation folder. It is a lot quicker than a complete install. If you decide to do this, be sure to backup your Interface and WTF folders. Even though the repair options renames those folder, I feel better when I have a backup.

Log on with the fresh ( empty ) Interface and WTF folders and check your memory usage. Then add one addon at a time, may as well start with nUI. Then check memory usage again. 'Rinse and repeat' with all your other addons, one at a time. I know it may be tempting to do so, but do not copy your old WTF and Interface files back into the working folders. Sometimes you have left over settings, from old addons, or your current addon settings can be all messed up and cause some crazy problems.

I hope this helps to trouble shoot your memory issue.

-gman
OK... So I think that I need to reinstall Mac OS X cause, I have the same problem with a clean install of WoW without any add-on

Thanks all for your help and sorry for the none-bug report

01-12-10, 01:25 AM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
No problem. These queries are what help us identify the cause to problems.

Characters:

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Memory leak ?