Quantcast Letter to Blizzard - December 5th - Page 4 - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
12-16-13, 05:08 PM   #61
Tumes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by TheWafflian View Post
Stop calling for legal action. The addon policy isn't a court matter, it's Blizzard telling us how they are going to code their game.
Ah,

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

That can certainly be challenged in court and should be. As can:

8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
To maintain the integrity World of Warcraft and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to disable any add-on functionality within World of Warcraft at its sole discretion.

If the only reason for disabling said add-on is because the developer is requiring recompense.

Now, Blizzard could always simply end the argument by:

Removing the use of any and all add-ons from the game.

With a free cash flow of over $1B, Activision/Blizzard shouldn't be concerned about this. And neither should you because in a market, you pay the asking price or you don't depending on how much you value the product or service.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:15 PM   #62
jwolfley
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
seems like a good idea.

undisciplined, whining, children need a bit of rude awakening. mistreating people has its results. good lesson to learn.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:21 PM   #63
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider
 
TheWafflian's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Tumes View Post
Ah,

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

That can certainly be challenged in court and should be. As can:

8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
To maintain the integrity World of Warcraft and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to disable any add-on functionality within World of Warcraft at its sole discretion.

If the only reason for disabling said add-on is because the developer is requiring recompense.

Now, Blizzard could always simply end the argument by:

Removing the use of any and all add-ons from the game.

With a free cash flow of over $1B, Activision/Blizzard shouldn't be concerned about this. And neither should you because in a market, you pay the asking price or you don't depending on how much you value the product or service.
What legal standing would it have to go after blizz for this?

Blizzard has the right to decide how it uses its own servers. It also has the right to terminate any users subscription. You agree to this when you agree to the EULA (Or one of the other terms, can't remember off the top of my head). If they really wanted to, they could just ban anyone who used nUI, and be legally safe.

AddOns are, in essence, mods. Look at, say, an online shooter. Say somebody releases a mod, so the developers patch over it because they don't want things modded. They have the right to modify their own code as they see fit.

Blizz also has that right, and as noted in the addon policy, they will only 'patch over' a mod that doesn't follow their policy. They won't challenge you in court over it, but they will render it useless.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:29 PM   #64
warthancer
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
so, does this mean that zygor guides and dugi guides are breaking the law as well? both are in-game addons and zygor requires an upfront payment and dugi guides is now a pay by the month kind of thing
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:32 PM   #65
spiel2001
nUI's Author
 
spiel2001's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,724
Originally Posted by TheWafflian View Post
he signed up for exactly that
Actually, nUI was already written, public and successful before Blizzard implemented that policy. But that's splitting hairs.

That all said, I couldn't disagree with you more. Add-on authors have every right to hope to profit from their work. In the same way that add-on authors for Outlook, Eclipse, or any other popular application with an extensible interface do.

But I'm not interested in delving into that rabbit hole here. None of us are lawyers, though as a professional software engineer by trade, I have a pretty good idea about copyright laws, APIs, etc.
__________________

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.



Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:41 PM   #66
drewster
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
When I found NUi in teh addons, I thought it was the greatest thing on earth. I never donated, I never said thank you. That doesnt mean I took it for granted. I read every email that Scott has sent out. January of this year, I stopped playing WOW. The game has just gone down hill. Blizzard catering to too many whiners, everyone wants to be able to kill everything by themselves, no more teamwork needed. Anyway, that's my personal belief. At no time while reading any of Scott's emails, did I ever feel that I had to pay to get the addon. When the email came for the support for ec0-geeks(dont flame me for getting it wrong), I was not offended. You see lots of this on TV where they ask thier viewing audiences to make a small donation, or on telethons. Anyway. I ignored that email after reading it. I wasnt playing WOW anymore, so meh. When I read about people flaming him, I was upset, and thought it was crazy. It didnt make any sense. I went over to the eco-geeks page and made an anonymous donation, didint want anythign in return, just felt bad about him being flame and it gave me an opportunity to give back for the hard work he has put into his addon.
It is sad thatthe community has reacted this way, the few anyway. From what I have read on NUi's site about obtainign the addon, it no way compels you to pay for it at all.
If you dont like the way someone does business, dont do business with them. So simple.
And Scott, good work, and I salute you for still doing Nui. I would have told those ungrateful bastards to go stick thier heads where the sun dont shine or the grass doesnt grow, but that would mean they would have won.

Hang in there. It will get better

Last edited by drewster : 12-16-13 at 05:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 05:50 PM   #67
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider
 
TheWafflian's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by warthancer View Post
so, does this mean that zygor guides and dugi guides are breaking the law as well? both are in-game addons and zygor requires an upfront payment and dugi guides is now a pay by the month kind of thing
As far as I'm aware, they use a loophole of sorts. "Pay for the guide and you get a free addon".

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Actually, nUI was already written, public and successful before Blizzard implemented that policy. But that's splitting hairs.

That all said, I couldn't disagree with you more. Add-on authors have every right to hope to profit from their work. In the same way that add-on authors for Outlook, Eclipse, or any other popular application with an extensible interface do.

But I'm not interested in delving into that rabbit hole here. None of us are lawyers, though as a professional software engineer by trade, I have a pretty good idea about copyright laws, APIs, etc.
Addon authors have the right to hope for a profit, but, you have to remember that the profit completely relies on Blizzard's approval. They have every right to change their code to not work with your UI, so actively trying to get a profit when the people with the power to stop you want to stop you is akin to running at a wall. I'm mixed on the idea of allowing paid addons, but that's another argument entirely; this is about nUI's being taken down.

Copyright is one thing; but at the end of the day, taking legal action against Blizzard for patching over your addon would essentially be suing them for coding the game in a way you didn't like.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 07:00 PM   #68
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant
 
bruj0's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by TheWafflian View Post
Also, because I feel it needs to be repeated.
Stop calling for legal action. The addon policy isn't a court matter, it's Blizzard telling us how they are going to code their game.
You are wrong about that, they are telling us what can and what we cant do with our intellectual property, ie the addons.
May i remind you there is absolutly 0 Blizzard code on any addon ever created? its 100% writing by somebody else.
Besides you are nobody to be asking to stop doing something or the other, if you disagree say so and move on.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 07:12 PM   #69
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider
 
TheWafflian's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by bruj0 View Post
You are wrong about that, they are telling us what can and what we cant do with our intellectual property, ie the addons.
May i remind you there is absolutly 0 Blizzard code on any addon ever created? its 100% writing by somebody else.
Besides you are nobody to be asking to stop doing something or the other, if you disagree say so and move on.
They are able to tell us what can and can't be done because, in order for an addon to work, Blizzard has to support it.

Once again, if Blizzard doesn't like an addon, they have the ability and right to code the game in a way that will make the addon not work. Blizzard can't force the owners not to write it, but they can stop players from using it.

I'm only saying this because to call for legal action is a faulty argument. To make it a legal matter is to assume that blizzard will take the hard and expensive route of legal action against an addon, rather than use a right and a few hours or coding to make the addon not work.

Last edited by TheWafflian : 12-16-13 at 07:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 07:29 PM   #70
spiel2001
nUI's Author
 
spiel2001's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,724
Just because one *can* do something does not imply it is wise, or moral, or even legal to do so. It never pays to bite the hand that feeds you.

WoW had over 13 million active, dedicated, users at its peak. It has how many now? For that matter, how many high quality addons have you seen fall away over the past few years?

The bottom line is that everyone has focused on the vocal minority of whiners who want everything easier, faster and for free and lost sight of who and what it was that created their success.

Yes... Blizzard can choose to do anything they want. As can WoWInterface. However, cutting off your nose to spite your face has never been a good business model.

Where would MicroSoft, Adobe, AutoDesk, Apache, Java, OpenOffice, and on and on and on, be had they not actively *encouraged* and *incubated* the extension markets that have made them who they are today?

Want a concrete example of the difference between an open architecture and encouragement of the market versus a specious restriction of the market? Compare Windows/PC to iOS/Mac in the public space. Microsoft ate Apple's lunch in the business and private sector because Apple was to restrictive of its ecosystem. Likewise, Apple has been slowly but surely losing its market share to Android for the exact same reason. Apparently they're slow learners over there.

Blizzard is making the exact same mistake with their policy. Rather than encourage a rich ecosystem of motivated authors seeking to improve the game experience, innovate and build community, they stifle the same entreprenurial spirit that gave rise to their own existence.

Sure... they *can* -- but they are fools for having done so and it shows in their staggering loss of market share not to mention the quality of the customer to whom they are appealing in the future. When you fill your ecosystem with refuse (polite word), it's only a matter of time before it dies. Doesn't just apply to rain forests, it applies to everything.
__________________

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.



Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

Last edited by spiel2001 : 12-16-13 at 07:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 07:53 PM   #71
Bellasintei
A Defias Bandit
 
Bellasintei's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Smile Support comes in many forms...

Blizzard is a corporation, and they have a tendency to eventually focus more on the money and garnering new customers than on the customers who have stood the test of time.

Spiel, however, is not asking much of anybody. Help with a bug you find with his add-on, that's helpful. Be supportive in his efforts to save a natural habitat for animals, if you can spare $15 a month for WoW you can spare $5 to preserve part of the planet we live on. See about a member who is willing to sponsor you, honestly many of us are willing to sponsor those who are capable of showing a little respect, decency, and the effort Spiel puts into his add-on. There are many ways to support Spiel, including sending him an e-mail telling him you love his add-on, but your parents won't pay the $5 to donate to his cause and you would like admission to the "inner circle" even though you're only 12. He is not an unreasonable guy. I can honestly say that even though I have been a on WoW hiatus, I have done what I can to show my support and none of what I did cost me a single penny.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:02 PM   #72
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider
 
TheWafflian's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Just because one *can* do something does not imply it is wise, or moral, or even legal to do so. It never pays to bite the hand that feeds you.

WoW had over 13 million active, dedicated, users at its peak. It has how many now? For that matter, how many high quality addons have you seen fall away over the past few years?

The bottom line is that everyone has focused on the vocal minority of whiners who want everything easier, faster and for free and lost sight of who and what it was that created their success.

Yes... Blizzard can choose to do anything they want. As can WoWInterface. However, cutting off your nose to spite your face has never been a good business model.

Where would MicroSoft, Adobe, AutoDesk, Apache, Java, OpenOffice, and on and on and on, be had they not actively *encouraged* and *incubated* the extension markets that have made them who they are today?

Want a concrete example of the difference between an open architecture and encouragement of the market versus a specious restriction of the market? Compare Windows/PC to iOS/Mac in the public space. Microsoft ate Apple's lunch in the business and private sector because Apple was to restrictive of its ecosystem. Likewise, Apple has been slowly but surely losing its market share to Android for the exact same reason. Apparently they're slow learners over there.

Blizzard is making the exact same mistake with their policy. Rather than encourage a rich ecosystem of motivated authors seeking to improve the game experience, innovate and build community, they stifle the same entreprenurial spirit that gave rise to their own existence.

Sure... they *can* -- but they are fools for having done so and it shows in their staggering loss of market share not to mention the quality of the customer to whom they are appealing in the future. When you fill your ecosystem with refuse (polite word), it's only a matter of time before it dies. Doesn't just apply to rain forests, it applies to everything.
For every addon that's fell away, another has risen to take its place. Sure, some good ones have gone, but things come and go.

WoW's decline is not because of its' policy, but because it is nearly a decade old. The peak was around 10 Million (That's the figure I've always seen tossed around, I might be incorrect), and from what I've seen around the web, it's at about 7 Million now. Considering the plain aging of the game, I'd hardly consider it a 'staggering' loss, and of the 3 Million gone, I doubt that a sizable portion at all left as a result of the addon policy. WoW's the most popular P2P MMO on the market; they're doing it right.

I don't think you're wrong to want compensation for your work, and from your emails, you have very noble goals; but Blizzard's policy is policy. The setting simply isn't conducive to your goals in terms of addon-creation.

I'm not arguing against the idea of paid add-ons, I wouldn't really mind it (to a reasonable degree, at least. I'd be willing to pay for a large project like nUI, but not for some automatic grey-seller). I think they could bring some good to the game. Were the argument simply to change the policy, I'd agree. What I don't agree with is the idea that Blizzard is breaking the law, or people calling others 'entitled' for wanting something for free, when Blizzard says they require it to be free. I know nUI can be free, I'm simply saying this from the topic's general sentiment.

Last edited by TheWafflian : 12-16-13 at 08:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:18 PM   #73
spiel2001
nUI's Author
 
spiel2001's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,724
Originally Posted by TheWafflian View Post
The peak was around 10 Million (That's the figure I've always seen tossed around, I might be incorrect), and from what I've seen around the web, it's at about 7 Million now.
Fuzzy math is fuzzy math. The peak *was* over 13 million and it's now less than 7 million or close to it. That's about 50% in my slightly less fuzzy math calculator.

That said, I never said it was due to the add-on policy. I was talking in the broader context of cowing to the whiners... those who want to be able to earn top tier gear without running dungeons, those who want to be able to run a dungeon any time of day or night without actually having to cooperate (or even speak) to other players, I could go on giving examples, but will assume you have sufficient neural capacity to complete the picture.

The bottom line is that a large number of players have been driven away from the game because of the changes in the environment and community that are a direct result of changes in the design and game play that are targeted to those who are less willing to earn success or cooperate in a socially acceptable way with others.

That should not be construed to mean everyone who plays the game. Hell, not even a majority of the people who play the game. Rather, it is a commentary on the general direction of the communities "evolution" (or should that be devolution).

There have been countless e-mails to me affirming that observation as their reason for leaving the game. There are quite a few in these two threads making the same statement.

When corporations forget the community that made them a success and exchange that for a quick buck from an alternate community that has no loyalty to the brand, they have set themselves on the path to ruin.
__________________

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.



Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:42 PM   #74
TheWafflian
A Murloc Raider
 
TheWafflian's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Fuzzy math is fuzzy math. The peak *was* over 13 million and it's now less than 7 million or close to it. That's about 50% in my slightly less fuzzy math calculator.

That said, I never said it was due to the add-on policy. I was talking in the broader context of cowing to the whiners... those who want to be able to earn top tier gear without running dungeons, those who want to be able to run a dungeon any time of day or night without actually having to cooperate (or even speak) to other players, I could go on giving examples, but will assume you have sufficient neural capacity to complete the picture.

The bottom line is that a large number of players have been driven away from the game because of the changes in the environment and community that are a direct result of changes in the design and game play that are targeted to those who are less willing to earn success or cooperate in a socially acceptable way with others.

That should not be construed to mean everyone who plays the game. Hell, not even a majority of the people who play the game. Rather, it is a commentary on the general direction of the communities "evolution" (or should that be devolution).

There have been countless e-mails to me affirming that observation as their reason for leaving the game. There are quite a few in these two threads making the same statement.

When corporations forget the community that made them a success and exchange that for a quick buck from an alternate community that has no loyalty to the brand, they have set themselves on the path to ruin.
Ah, yes, I've done a bit more research on it, 12/13 Million was the peak, it seems. My bad.

The community is bad, I've seen as much myself, and I think that the scathing emails you mention in your newsletters are a sign of that. I hate to see how much it's happened, and I do what I can to be a positive part of my realm's community.

I think Blizzard is a contributor, but not the sole cause of the issue. Things like LFR make the community worse, but it has drawn back players as well - myself included. At the end of the day, it is not Blizzard's fault that players act as they do, but that of the players themselves.

When you say the game has been made easier, it has only been easier in the lower difficulties. Heroic modes are still as hard as ever - There are just new ways for players with less skill or time to raid as well. Regardless of how good a player is at wow, there will be a way for him to get into content. That has contributed to the decay of the community, but on a business level, I believe that things like LFR keep more players on the game than the community effects of each of them individually drive away.

I'm off for the night - It's been an interesting conversation and I'm glad to be able to discuss this.
My next reply will be tomorrow, good evening to everyone.

Last edited by TheWafflian : 12-16-13 at 08:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:51 PM   #75
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer
 
Xrystal's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,252
Before I found nUI I was contemplating writing my own UI but even now I feel I am not knowledgable enough to do it. I looked around and saw that nUI did what I needed where I needed it and all in one package.

I have rarely used wow without nUI. Those times I have is to see what has been added to regular blizzard ui that may be useful in nUI and of course to test my own addons.

I am sure others can see I am still writing snippets of ui code and keeping nUI up and running because something of this magnitude is not easy to write and upkeep as the sole developer with each patch and expansion causing mayhem of various levels as well as working full time and following other projects close to his heart.

I don't fault blizzard on their decision after it is their software. I also do not blame wowinterface as it is their site. And equally I do not blame Scott wanting to concentrate his efforts for those that are not disrespectful to the community.

And no I don't vote either. And I have thankfully not been called up for jury duty and at almost 45 that is an achievement in itself over here. I am too middle of the road to say who is right and who is wrong.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:53 PM   #76
missmoonfire
A Murloc Raider
 
missmoonfire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
I think that people who can't be respectful and appreciative of all the hard work that Scott puts into coding nUI and keeping up with the millions of patches that WoW puts out should just shut the hell up and walk away.

I for one do not pay for nUI as of yet as I am on a strict budget BUT if I have to I will and consider it a hike in Blizzards fees because I will not be playing WoW without nUI. I have tried and it is just not enjoyable to me.

Nobody would think twice if Blizzard raised the game price to $19.95 so why bitch about $5.00 for an add on you obviously can't live without???

~Moonfire~
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 08:55 PM   #77
baldcore
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
I honestly left because I have a knack for seeing the early signs of a sinking ship. Its just like concept of jump the shark. You can always spot those little things that show greater signs of decline. Take for example the original starwars mmo before the current incarnation. The concept was just to be a regular alien in a regular star wars universe. Only a select few could become jedi. Then suddenly low and behold it was lifted like crazy and with it came a swarm of hundreds of wannabes all wanting to be jedis. From that point on the whole balance of the universe caved and everything that made it a unique trip through the star wars universe vanished. The same can be said about everquest. They needed to evolve with the times but they had a very tired model when it came to gameplay and eventually despite several years of trying they are still at the very bottom. Now Im not saying wow is about to die right now but if they can not find ways to reverse the decline I could easily see wow being in the same boat as everquest within 10 years or less. By that time they will be little more than an antiquated ford model t in the age of modern sports cars.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 09:12 PM   #78
Sietepestes
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
I have been a wow player since launch day... I still play to this day. I have not logged into these forums for ... 5yrs. I have been following this heated debate since it started. I can understand why is Scott frustrated and lashing out. But I think its getting out of hand and everyone needs to take a step back and look at the end game here.

I dont currently use NUI+ anymore because I honestly get bored of interfaces rather quickly and I have moved on, I quite frankly dont remember what NUI looks like, I think I am going to have to find it on Curse and give it a run to remember.

Like Scott I am a software developer, I have a particular product and I have gotten the same flak as Scott has but rather than draw attention or require people to bow before me because I am root... I have an insanely good product, I embrace them all... the nice people with complements and the asshats that hate me, because I rather have 100% of them all than 40%.

I think you, Scott, have a community that loves you and supports you, they (the remaining ones) are not going anywhere. The ones that dont care or have different ideologies have gone, moved to greener pastures.

So instead, of keeping this whole drama, that is clearly starting to take its toll, with Blizzard remaining somewhat neutral and this community shutting you down, why dont you take a step back and do something epic.

For example:

1. Remove the hurdles and continue giving NUI+ for free, without having to ask a buddy or another colleague and without having to kiss babies or do something cool for the community...
2. Support those constituents, YOU want to support, the good people that love you and support you, through your own forums and your own site.
3. Accept Donations, and instead of presenting donations as a way to get NUI+ faster, offer other goodies, because if its true that you have 36,000 subscribers of nui, you can start probably your own wowinterface, or even your own community where all developers are treated fairly and with the respect they deserve.

Remember a Donation is not a rag to tell me to donate, that is begging. Donations have to come because people want them to, with as little as possible advertising.

I know some of my ideas might have been given by others, or might seem wild to you, and even though I dont agree with some of your points, I do understand where you are coming from and I embrace your cause.

----

To WoWInterface,

I think that you guys are acting with an entitlement that you dont deserve. Scott may not be spearheading this movement, with polish and finesse, but NUI is HIS PRODUCT and quite frankly he can do with it whatever he wants. If there is anybody Scott owes an explanation of sorts is to Blizzard. Because you taking the position of judge and executioner is going to cost you more than its going to cost Scott. I think as long as the product is offered for free like he says it is(and it is, http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/nui), then throwing him to the fire really doesnt show that you guys support and protect your developers... and it really shows bad form.

I am not going to quit WoW Interface, or flip the bird to Scott because I dont agree with some of his views. That would be immature. I have said my peace and I will go retire now out of the same hole I crawled in.

Scott - If you want help with polishing your approach and response hit me up in the pm here and I will reply with my email...

WoWInterface: Grow up. Instead of pushing him out, help him with his grief and help him move forward, not backwards.

Good Luck!

ME

Last edited by Sietepestes : 12-16-13 at 09:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 09:42 PM   #79
Mp_hw1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Completly agree

Originally Posted by Fatšl View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that some (not all) but some folks feel that they are entitled to have access to others hard efforts for ummm well FREE. I am and would like to continue my use of nUI, I have to admit that I don’t post much on the forums, but I do from time to time make a voluntary donation at the website.

I look at it this way, I go to work each day I put forth an effort that is in accordance to my compensation. Mr. Piel goes to work every day and I am going to assume that he is compensated accordingly. Then Mr. Piel takes time away from his family and friend’s - time that he could be kicking back drinking a beverage of choice in an attempt to make MY gaming experience better. Why you ask? I really don’t know other than he actually cares about the game and the community.

I am truly disgusted by the constant – you should do this for me for nothing – I am entitled to your hard work for nothing – you should work for me for free – Don’t stop but I don’t want to reward you either. For some of the ass hats out there you would be surprised how far a simple “Thank you for your help you have made my game better!” would go. Trust me that in and of itself is a donation, if nothing more than to let him know his efforts are appreciated. I don’t have any issue with donating some $$$ every once in a while and Mr. Piel has never ask that I donate anything. I guess it is my moral compass that tells me it’s the correct thing to do.

Scott I love your UI I have used it for years, but at this point if you pulled the plug I would completely understand and would still thank you for the years of enjoyment nUI has added to my in game experience.

Thanks again
Fatal
I whole heartedly agree with Fatal’s post. It seems like more and more people seem to just have this entitled to everything attitude. I see it more and more in game. People want stuff with out having to do anything to deserve it. I completely agree with Scott's stance on this issue. People just don't seem to get it that there are alternatives to making a donation to get full access. I think they just aren't looking at the right way. Maybe look at it like this, just completely forget that you have the option to donate and just look at the different ways to get access. Then throw in the idea that hey if you donate you also get access. I'm just saying that it's another way to try and wrap you mind around it. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Mp_hw1 : 12-16-13 at 09:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
12-16-13, 10:03 PM   #80
Baldoras
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
BRAVO to Spiel!!

Ok, here is my two cents on this issue. I have used NUI+ since the day I found it 5 years ago, looking for a better interface to the crappy Blizzard (Vanilla) UI. The thing was a saving grace to what was screen Chaos for me. I told friends about it and even donated a couple of time to the site when it was first created. I remember Scott having issues with his computer and it eventually failing and the community came together to help someone that had given so much to us and this game. That is what a normal functioning community does. We give of ourselves to help others. Scott has been VERY generous in this.

When I read the first email from Scott asking for help for his charity I was a little leery since I deal with a lot of internet scams and such on a professional basis. I left the issue as was and was not going to bother with it, and leave it at that. Then came the emails about the buttheads (to be polite) and the end of NUI support as we knew it. This prompted me to get involved and put my support to Scott.

This country has thrived to be what it is due to the free market. I like anyone I love free things but if we all really sit back and think about it, NOTHING is for free! there is always someone's sweat equity involved in the creation of anything. Now wether or not they ask or require anything of us in return, should be up to them. All Scott has asked for is a little help along the way. Many of us have helped out when and where we could because we recognized that Scott has put MANY MANY hours of time, and much of his own money into the NUI project when he did not have too. He could have and maybe even should have packed his bags, turned his back, and flipped the bird as he walked away. He did not. As any person with any kind of optimism does, he dug his heals in and worked even harder to put out a quality product because he loves his product and the people that use it.

In my eyes All Scott has done is ASKED (Not demanded) us to do from the beginning is to take a bit of time and help something that is going to save all of us in the long run. There is no crime in that and he should be commended for it. But, instead he gets ridiculed and harassed by snotty assed kids that can only think about themselves and nothing else. I have experienced the bratty "I WANT, GIVE ME, I DESERVE, YOU A**, F*** YOU", type of crap in the game and have not played in over a year. Stupid me has kept the subscription hoping that it may get back to what it once was, but have since cancelled, seeing that is has become even worse.

Since the release of Burning Crusades I have seen a major decline in the WoW community and am greatly saddend because I have met and made some really great friends across the country, and the world when the game was for ADULTS. The lack of parental guidance/care is terrible! It does no good to put a Mature/adult only sticker on a box when a parent buys it for their brat anyway. I am a parent of 3 kids and have previewed and approved/denied all games for my kids. If by chance I bought a game that was borderline, I kept control of the game and they were only allowed to play it when I was playing with them, or in the same room with them so I could monitor what was going on. More parents need to do the same.

To Scott I commend you for standing up and putting your foot down to try and put a stop to the abuse!!! Maybe if more of us did, things would change with the youth of today. Sadly, I do not see it happening. I thank you for your years of tireless effort and long nights of coding, personal days off work to fix bugs for us, or to make sure things were up to par for the next patch so that we could play mindless hours of what was once a fun game. I do not know you personally but can see that you have care, compassion, and a love of what you do. If you choose to continue with NUI I wish you the best of luck and hope that Blizzard and WoW Interface can pull their heads out of their butts, see the light and understand that you and other mod programmers like you have every right to stand up for yourselves and do not have to take abuse from some snot nosed kid that could never touch what you do in a heart beat.

To the snot nosed kids that think they deserve everything....you don't!!! Things in life are earned!! And the hardest thing to earn in life is respect unless, you learn how to give it to begin with.

Now I will jump off of my soap box and let the snot run.

Last edited by Baldoras : 12-16-13 at 10:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » Letter to Blizzard - December 5th

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off