10-01-05, 03:49 PM   #1
ciphersimian
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb Map Notes (Cont.)

Hi All,

I'm going to be the new maintainer of Map Notes (Cont.) so I just wanted to create my own "Released" thread, though I haven't actually released anything yet.

Link to the Map Notes (Cont.) AddOn's WoW Interface page:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...php?s=&id=3985

My first goals are cleaning up the existing code and coming up with a much better solution for the ZoneShift problem that seems to plague MapNotes, screwing up the MapNotes data for several zones on several localizations everytime Blizzard renames or adds one.

I'm also going to attempt to work with AddOn authors who have MapNotes as a dependency to define better interfaces into MapNotes and eliminate the need for accessing it's internal data directly, freeing me to make more internal improvements/changes without breaking other authors hard work.

As a loftier goal I would like to identify AddOns which, through lack of maintainence of MapNotes or perhaps cooperation of the original author, use substantial portions of MapNotes code and have in turn made improvements that aren't present in the original MapNotes. Ultimately I would like to port all these improvements back to the original MapNotes and add the necessary interfaces to allow those authors to use MapNotes instead, allowing it to do what it does best and those AddOns to do the same.

Overall, I want MapNotes to be more robust and resistant to Blizzards changes (at least, as much as this can possibly be done), minimize the breakage when unavoidable UI changes do happen and make fixing it easier, both for the maintainer and the users.

Anyway, that's just a glimpse of where I'm headed. Stay tuned for updates.

ciphersimian
06-23-06, 10:30 AM   #2
Jayhawk
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just curious if there's anyone who's working on this? The last version seems to have broken...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Map Notes (Cont.)