03-03-09, 10:54 AM   #1
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation Possible to add password to character selection screen?

I know blizzards position on this an why they will never do it. I have to share my account with family members some responsible adults.....some no so responsible kids 8-10yr old. I really wish i could just block them from using my account, but can't/won't.(for now) I would love it if an addon could pasword protect characters in some way to keep them from stealing the gold from my bankers to buy their next blue weapon for 165g. 10-20g doesn't bother me too bad, but that last one hurt as it was half the gold that particular character had. Any ideas out there? even possible? work around like a addon that locks away the gold. once upon a time my older nephew who used to play all the time til he started dating and driving had a "gold saving helper or something" i dont even remember what it was called or what it did exactly.

03-03-09, 11:12 AM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You should get Depositbox.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

03-03-09, 11:21 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
And you could also try this: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-CharNote.html

Make a message that says "Don't steal my money!"

Just as a warning, though, Blizzard does not allow for account sharing except for with one minor in your household. Also note that the more people who know your login info, the greater risk you have of being hacked in the future.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-03-09, 04:47 PM   #4
Tithulta
A Black Drake

i know technically i have 3 accounts which ahve 2 users each. though we all know the pw to each account except the youngest who share my account. I'll check deposit box and see if it'll be any help

thanks

03-03-09, 08:43 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Here is a great idea.

Don't let them play if they can't be responsible. Simple really. Tell them if they want to play they need to stop or you will "punish" them by blocking access to WOW by changing the password.

If they can not be responsible enough to not steal from you characters then maybe they are not responsible (or mature) enough to be playing a game rated for "Teens".

Sounds like a better solution to me than having an addon be the parent

03-03-09, 09:00 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I must agree with Sepioth here. If they steal from family (or someone in the same house), then what is stopping them from ruining your reputation by stealing from others on your character? I've seen a huge increase in ninja and theft threads on my realm's forums lately, and more often than not the excuse is "my kid brother was playing my character" or "my kids share this account". To me, my reputation is valued twice as much as the gear or items I have and to keep hearing these excuses is a huge turn off for WoW.

The next time they take your gold/stuff, make them do chores to earn the money for their own account and let them be on their own to see what it takes to earn what they get. Just a suggestion.

03-03-09, 10:06 PM   #7
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Sounds like a better solution to me than having an addon be the parent
I agree, although I got the impression that the OP is not the parent either, though that's just a guess.

The thing about addons is that they can be disabled/removed on the char select screen...there's really nothing you can do to stop someone who has account access from doing stuff on that account. Now, if you had another account that you could make a banker char on, that might do it. You could also set up a small addon that auto ran
Code:
SILVER_PER_GOLD=999999999
when your character(s) logged in so it looked like you didn't have anything to steal...as long as no one noticed.

03-03-09, 10:29 PM   #8
tinyu
A Molten Giant

im pretty sure you could make a addon that would ask for a code on login and if the code was entered wrong it would exit wow (possibly) but all it would take is someone to disable the addon to get around it.

03-04-09, 08:20 PM   #9
Bangerz
A Fallenroot Satyr

Bang! Character Lock

Ta da!

03-05-09, 01:24 AM   #10
BFSskepsis
Premium Member

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
would be awesome if you could make it /exit instead of /logout because /logout takes 30 seconds.

03-05-09, 02:46 AM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kithicor View Post
would be awesome if you could make it /exit instead of /logout because /logout takes 30 seconds.

I agree... would be much better if it could be done!

03-05-09, 04:14 AM   #12
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
In my humble opinion, the reason no one has bothered (or will ever bother) putting some effort into a character "lock" addon, it's because it is simply put, pointless. There are so many ways that someone (who isn't necessarily tech-savy) can bypass the intended protections, it's not even funny. Character/Account protection are features that addons were never designed to cover or include and rightfully so.

03-05-09, 04:59 AM   #13
Bangerz
A Fallenroot Satyr

Added both the suggestions for the ForceQuit and Log. Assuming there aren't any bugs I will probably leave it at that.

@Tristanian: Hay! I just did!

03-05-09, 09:36 AM   #14
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Red face

wow all you guys are right on many points. I am not their father my daughter is 3 yr old and will not play wow or other mmorpg for a long time. My issue is 2 nephews, there are 3, but one is quite responsible after learning more an more about the game. The 2 youngest think they have to have that "cool" blue item irregardless of their level vs item level. I hope I've recently made it abundantly clear that i expect them to behave responsibly and ethically. They've been told by me(their uncle) and their parents that this is it. Any further problems an they'll loose their WoW privilege.

Im using deposit box right now and i think it'll will work for now provided my nephew doesn't disable addons. Even so I don't think I'll have any more problems, I told all 3 that i expect them to police each other and i know they know right from wrong. They now should understand right and wrong also exist online/WOW as well. Plus I logged onto all the accounts and stripped their characters of all armor and weapons so when they logged on they'd think they had lost all the armor and blues. Told them next time I'd vendor everything instead of leaving it in the backpack.

My advice to anyone who reads this....don't let kids start playing WoW at all. Buy them something like Morrowwind/ dungeon siege or other standalone games. Much safer and less issues. I can't count the arguments between me, my parents(who pay for 2, of 3 accounts) and my sisters/and their husbands.

thanks for all the responses and i agree about the game/addon not being a proper parent.

Last edited by Tithulta : 03-05-09 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added a bit of info to 2nd paragraph

03-05-09, 02:28 PM   #15
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Point of interest, sharing accounts is against Blizzard's TOU. As such, I'm locking the thread.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Possible to add password to character selection screen?