09-07-12, 02:47 PM   #1
Thon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Question Map Flight Path Icon Addon Request!

Hello all!

I'm not sure if there's any addon that can do this, or if addons are capable of this, but if so I'd like to know which can/make a request for it!

Since leveling in the Mists beta I've realized I really don't like those flight path icons on the map (not minimap). You know the one, the little shoe with wings, colored red, yellow or blue for allegiance. The problem I have with them is that they're visible before having discovered the areas in the zone, and for me it kinda spoiled the feel of coming to an entirely new zone and having no clue what's ahead. I don't like knowing where I'm going to end up, right at the start. :S

What I think would be best would be a simple toggle for them on the map to turn them on or off, but just having them turned off works for me too. :P

Thanks in advance!
09-07-12, 04:28 PM   #2
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The maps are composed of various texture files (tiles) that when stitched together, form one cohesive image. The flight path icons are a part of that image; they can't be toggled off.
09-07-12, 04:47 PM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Are we talking worldmap or flightmaster map?
09-07-12, 05:38 PM   #4
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

If they were referring to the Flight Masters' map, they could simply avoid the use of flight paths altogether!
09-07-12, 05:46 PM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
As far as I remember, the flight path map doesn't get foggy
09-08-12, 05:16 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

The flight point icons are not part of the map textures. They are separate objects, and can be manipulated at will. The frames are WorldMapFramePOIn, where n is some number, and their textures are WorldMapFramePOInTexture. They are set up in the WorldMapFrame_Update function in FrameXML/WorldMapFrame.lua, starting at line 483:

http://wow.go-hero.net/framexml/1601...pFrame.lua#483

If you want to unconditionally hide them all, this will do it:
Code:
hooksecurefunc("WorldMapFrame_Update", function()
    for i = 1, GetNumMapLandmarks() do
        local name, _, textureIndex = GetMapLandmarkInfo(i)
        if textureIndex == 178 or textureIndex == 179 then
            local poi = _G["WorldMapFramePOI"..i]
            if poi then
                -- The "if poi then" check is probably not needed, but better safe than sorry!
                poi:Hide()
            end
        end
    end
end)
178 is a neutral flight point, 179 is a Horde flight point, and I'd guess Alliance flight points are either 177 or 180 but I didn't actually log onto an Alliance character to check. If you're playing Alliance and need to hide their flight points, you can run this macro while the world map is open and showing at least 1 flight point to find out:

Code:
/run for i = 1, GetNumMapLandmarks() do local name, _, id = GetMapLandmarkInfo(i) print(i, id, name) end
If you only want to hide them in areas you haven't discovered yet, that's a bit more work, and I probably won't feel like spending any time on it before Monday when I am back at work.

If you need help turning the above code into an addon, copy and paste it into this page:
http://addon.ziuo.net/
09-08-12, 05:33 AM   #7
Thon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yes!! Thanks Phanx, that's exactly what I meant!

The flight path icons on the map, not the flight master map. I always assumed they weren't part of the map image, unlike other icons that are, (they look drawn on) these just look copypasted.

I have no addon expertise whatsoever, but you've given me a challenge for today haha thanks!
09-08-12, 11:49 AM   #8
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just a note that 177 is Archaeology blobs so 180 should be alliance flightmasters.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Map Flight Path Icon Addon Request!