Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
03-13-16, 03:49 PM   #1
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cluster action bar solution

So I've been looking into creating an action bar extension lately that would supposedly replace other action bar solutions and have it tailored specifically for controllers. One thing that's lacking with the FFXIV setup is the ability to always see your spells and cooldowns on your bars, which is why I've been trying to create something that keeps all that information visible at all times, while trying to retain a sleek look. Well, it's a lot harder than I thought to make it all just work well, look good AND feel intuitive.

I'll show you what I've got so far, but I'm very open to new ideas on how to improve this solution, since it's looking a bit cluttered and jitters a bit too much when modifiers are pressed in the current configuration. Arguably, the size of the main buttons are in the upper range of acceptable scale and the round style along with the arched placement of the modified buttons might be making things worse rather than better.

If you're confused about what the clusters represent: each controller button has 4 states, which consist of unmodified, shift, ctrl and ctrl-shift. The unmodified input is the large button in the cluster, but while a modifier is held, the large button changes into the modified action instead.

This system is adaptive to the range of inputs on a given controller. With a DualShock 4 or Xbox controller, this equals to 60 bindings drawn on screen. The Steam controller has even more than that. That's a lot of bindings to show at all times, but it has to be doable in some way or another. Grateful for any suggestions.

Note: Icons for static bindings are currently missing and replaced by a temp icon.

Last edited by MunkDev : 03-13-16 at 03:58 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Cluster action bar solution