Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
04-30-09, 03:27 AM   #11
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Wow. So much misinformation. To say that the users have a right to file a class-action lawsuit for a completely free-to-use service is so full of fail I'm going to stop typing right now and proceed to shake my head and move on.
Agreed.

I'm at work so I'll see if I can be brief.

From many posts I have read complaining about the decision most people including myself do actually visit the official web pages to read up on changes or post feedback/bug reports.
A handfull of users can not generate the ad traffic required to pay for thousands of dollars of bandwidth.

30-50% of 13. - 1.8TB of un-reimbursed traffic. This is how much their traffic went down as a direct result of the wow matrix move.

Originally Posted by schmittyd View Post
The argument put forward about protecting authors is also misleading, considering that most, if not all mods are provided by a GPL or similar open source licence which generally allow free and open distribution, so here is a warning to Curse and WI - be very careful with your false pander, you are actually breaking the terms of the open source licences by disallowing distribution by third parties.
Once again.

Openly readable code is not open source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

Most addons are in fact not released under a GPL license. And false pander ??? WTF??? These are the sites the authors release to and they have said what their licenses are and believe me. Not many are GPL or open source.

So are you saying the authors of these addons don't know the licenses they've released their addons under when they were the ones writing them in the first place?

*brain go explody*

Originally Posted by schmittyd View Post
WM, authors and users have the legal right to file class action lawsuits against Curse and WI, which would result in severe financial losses so please reconsider your decision as who will you be helping if you have to close due to your own greed and misconceptions.
Believe me it's not greed.

Greed is defined as wanting to take a lot of stuff needlessly without giving anything back.

Servers don't run on sunshine and rainbows. Bandwidth doesn't grow on trees and is not free. Both addons sites do so much for the community for free. From free hosting of addons to giving away beta keys.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users